Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC40 '18> General

Notices

XC40 '18> General Forum for vehicles post 2018 on the Compact Modular Architecture or CMA Platform

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

XC40 D4 vs T4 fuel consumption

Views : 9165

Replies : 23

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 25th, 2019, 20:16   #1
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Default XC40 D4 vs T4 fuel consumption

Hi. My colleague is seriously looking at ordering an XC40 after having a weekend test drive. He is drawn to either the D4 or T4. Both auto and both AWD. From looking at the configurator the T4 seems a good bit cheaper up front. His annual mileage is likely to be circa 18k miles and likely to keep the car for maybe 5 years.

Has anyone got any real world fuel consumption figures for either of these engines? If it was me I would go T4 but he is worried about the fuel cost.

Thanks
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2019, 11:48   #2
niva441

Autocar have recently done a long term test of a T4 and did find the real life fuel consumption disappointing. Later they changed it for a D3.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-review...ng-term-review
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to niva441 For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 09:40   #3
844PHW
Master Member

My conclusion when deciding which version to go for was that, while the T4 seemed the obvious choice, if you were particularly interested in low fuel consumption the T3 was likely a better option.
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 09:46   #4
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Philip Fisher View Post
Hi. My colleague is seriously looking at ordering an XC40 after having a weekend test drive. He is drawn to either the D4 or T4. Both auto and both AWD. From looking at the configurator the T4 seems a good bit cheaper up front. His annual mileage is likely to be circa 18k miles and likely to keep the car for maybe 5 years.

Has anyone got any real world fuel consumption figures for either of these engines? If it was me I would go T4 but he is worried about the fuel cost.

Thanks
I was about to put a deposit on an XC90 last week to replace my 2012. Right until I read about real emissions driving regs for diesel, enhanced tax rates and blocks from cities. I would google RED2 zones etc if I were your friend.

Whilst it’s easy to extol the virtues of diesels it’s a brave man that puts 40k plus into a car subject to such regulatory uncertainty.

In the instance of the xc90 my long commutes and the high cost difference between diese and petrol are complicated.

In your friends instance why on earth would you currently buy a diese if the Petrol equivalent is available. There is every chance in 5 years your mates car will be paying large sums to enter cities, will be subject to punative taxes and that no one will want it.

I would on balance buy the Petrol without hesitation.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 1st, 2019, 18:31   #5
niva441

When I was considering a XC40 what tipped the balance for me was the availability of torque in addition to superior fuel consumption. I thought that the T4 might balance its torque deficit by having a wider power band, but it doesn't rev much higher than the D4 doesn't sustain its max torque for much more than the diesel.
niva441 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 02:33   #6
Unknownsock

Quote:
Originally Posted by XC90Mk1 View Post
I was about to put a deposit on an XC90 last week to replace my 2012. Right until I read about real emissions driving regs for diesel, enhanced tax rates and blocks from cities. I would google RED2 zones etc if I were your friend.

Whilst it’s easy to extol the virtues of diesels it’s a brave man that puts 40k plus into a car subject to such regulatory uncertainty.

In the instance of the xc90 my long commutes and the high cost difference between diese and petrol are complicated.

In your friends instance why on earth would you currently buy a diese if the Petrol equivalent is available. There is every chance in 5 years your mates car will be paying large sums to enter cities, will be subject to punative taxes and that no one will want it.

I would on balance buy the Petrol without hesitation.
Absolute rubbish,Current Euro 6 diesel cars emit up to 20% less CO2 than petrol cars and CO2 is one of the leading causes of air pollution. Diesel will typically get you 20% further than a petrol car. That extra range is the main reason why it's worth investing in a diesel, but only if you're always making long journey
Unknownsock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unknownsock For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 02:50   #7
XC90Mk1
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Absolute rubbish,Current Euro 6 diesel cars emit up to 20% less CO2 than petrol cars and CO2 is one of the leading causes of air pollution. Diesel will typically get you 20% further than a petrol car. That extra range is the main reason why it's worth investing in a diesel, but only if you're always making long journey
Whilst I ageee that diesels are fine myself (I drive a Euro 5 diesel as it is) my concern is not the environmental side but the government who seem to have no basis of fact but knee jerk reaction.

Would you be happy putting 50,000 down on a car with the current government views, floored as they may be or not.
XC90Mk1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2nd, 2019, 07:55   #8
inchindown
Futurist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unknownsock View Post
Isn't the current problem with diesels the emission of NO2 and Particles rather than CO2?

I've got a XC40 T4 Auto AWD on order at the moment for delivery in May. I don't tow and generally only do less than 10K per year. I had a good test drive and it felt like it had all the power I need for the sort of driving I do.

I suppose only time will tell if I made the right decision.
inchindown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 7th, 2019, 19:13   #9
Philip Fisher
Premier Member

Thanks for the feedback.

In the end he went for the D4. He has ordered an XC40 D4 Inscription Pro. He got a decent discount too.

Something I wasn't aware of, he got an extra discount because he was opting out of a company car. This means he got trade terms which gave him an extra bit off.

So if you are in the market for an XC40 then discounts are available if you ask.....
Previously:-
1997 V70 T5 exPolice; 2005 V50 2.0D; 2013 XC70 D5
Philip Fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 12th, 2019, 13:21   #10
T5R92011
FCW Auto Service

Petrol for me.....

https://www.greenpeace.org.uk/handy-...tching-diesel/

These car companies are ditching diesel:

1: Toyota
Is dropping its sale of diesel cars in Europe this year

2: Kia