Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Knocking and steering vibration at speed - CV or bearing?

Views : 3125

Replies : 25

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 3rd, 2020, 18:54   #21
turboboy
Master Member

In all honesty I have not done an 850 or a V70 so cannot confirm about the crossnut.

Did rebuild the front struts on my 740 many years ago but left the V40 top mounts to my local garage as I was rather busy at the time.

The most interesting was the Renault 30. You cannot use standard spring compressors because the uncompressed springs are reeeeealy looooong. Like about a metre!!!!!! I borrowed a tool from my local Renault garage to do the job and enlisted the help of a mechanic friend and did the job in a day in the street outside my house.

Fortunately I had understanding neighbours.

Current: 1998 Volvo V70 2.3 T5 Auto.

Previous: 2000 Volvo V40 T4; 1981/2 265 (x2); 1988 740 Turbo Estate.
turboboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to turboboy For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 5th, 2020, 16:32   #22
StatusRed
Premier Member

I managed to get off one side of the top mount spacer with an adjustable spanner and 21mm spanner, the top mount looked fine, I had trouble with the other side so am assuming it's also fine.

I also tried to move the drive shaft and steering rack and couldn't see any play in them..

It's booked in at a Volvo independent next Wednesday, they said they'll hook it up to the computer but I told them I already have VIDA and have done that and there's no codes.. but we'll see. I might leave VIDA connected at the weekend while I drive around and get the ABS light to come on (comes on after getting to 30MPH).

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2020, 17:26   #23
StatusRed
Premier Member

Well... I was due to take the car to the Volvo independent today and while running another errand I managed to hit an enormous pothole which instantly popped both nearside tyres and buckled the wheels to an unrepairable state.. I'm now on the hunt for a new columba wheel (luckily I had 1 spare).

Anyway, got the car towed to the independent to sort out and take a look at this other issue, the car has..
  • O/S/F seized brake caliper (a bit annoying as it's painted so I'll need to repaint the replacement)
  • A ruined wheel hub
  • A faulty ABS sensor

So that's all getting repaired and hopefully explains why the car was shaking at speed.

Old Feb 13th, 2020, 15:53   #24
amazondean
amazondean

I'm not quite sure which part of the problems listed is causing the wobble, as I presume the pot hole caused the hub problem, which is after the original steering wobble. The sticking caliper might be but from your earlier thread you said that one wheel turned more freely than the other. I don't think that your caliper is sticking enough to cause the wobble, as I think you would have noticed it more when manually turning the wheels (unless the caliper was getting very hot at speed and expanding onto the disc and the wobble is the disc being slightly out of balance!)
amazondean is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amazondean For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 17:33   #25
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazondean View Post
I'm not quite sure which part of the problems listed is causing the wobble, as I presume the pot hole caused the hub problem, which is after the original steering wobble. The sticking caliper might be but from your earlier thread you said that one wheel turned more freely than the other. I don't think that your caliper is sticking enough to cause the wobble, as I think you would have noticed it more when manually turning the wheels (unless the caliper was getting very hot at speed and expanding onto the disc and the wobble is the disc being slightly out of balance!)
It could have been that the wheel hub was damaged anyway? I'll have to drive it after its all fixed and come back with my findings.

The Following User Says Thank You to StatusRed For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 13th, 2020, 19:39   #26
ITSv40
VOC Member

Certainly bad luck hitting the pothole, but the car is in the best place and hopefully will drive like a dream when fixed.
ITSv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:

Tags
c70, steering