Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RICA 280 vs. 304

Views : 9587

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Oct 9th, 2005, 21:53   #151
imac
Premier Member

Default RICA 280 vs. 304

Right. I'm gonna get the upgrade. I've been debating it for months but I've decided to go for it. Finally!

(Adam, I'll phone you the week after next after I'm back from soaking up the last of the summer sun in south of France. Before it's RICA'd I'd like you to do a full check of the engine etc to make sure it's good to go to that power :) )

Question, is - Do I go for the 304 or 280 upgrade? I'm not worried about the fact that I have to use 98+ ron as I don't do many miles in the car (less than 5,000 per year - all social. Commuting will be done on a motorbike from the end of Sept ). My current fuel consumption is averaging around 26 and I expect this to drop to 20-21mpg average with the RICA (cos I will undoubtedly drive it quicker). If it's better than 20/21 I'll be well happy!

The only thing stopping me getting the 304 upgrade is my auto box. I just have a niggling doubt that says its to many ponies for the box. I really would like a manual conversion if the autobox decides to die but short of shipping a mechanic over from the States for a week I have yet to find anyone willing to do the conversion for me.

The devil in me says - the car is for pleasure, the engine has only done 65k so go for the 304 upgrade and if the 'box dies, get a manual conversion.

My more sensible side says to go for the 280 version and be happy with that!

Questions:

What is the torque figure for the 280 version? It only lists 430nm on the VT website which is the 304's output... I'm more interested in torque than BHP y'see.

What are the current prices for the 280 / 304 upgrade?

Can anyone here give me a comparison of the 280/304 ? I guess it's hard to put into words, so does anyone have any mid-range acceleration figures for the 280/304 upgrade compared to the standard 225? Words will do if no figures are avaliable though!

PS.. I don't want this to turn into a RICA vs. TME debate or to question the RICA claims like usual. Lets keep on topic ;)