Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

RICA 280 vs. 304

Views : 9612

Replies : 150

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Closed Thread

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 22:41   #21
Shestica

Default RE: RICA 280 vs. 304

The answer to your question Pyapp is no, but then does every TME and BSR customer make the stated bhp output ?

Before this gets out of hand like the other threads have in the past, let me just state, i am asking a question to a statement made by Don, nothing more, i am not stating anything, fact or fiction, i just have a question. Just like you guys ;)
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 22:50   #22
adieu
Master Member

But if you cannot even see every car making 300BHP then why ask the question in the first place.....???????

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 23:17   #23
Richieb

Ok, whatever the answer is......
I have been up to see the Chaps, Adam and Hamish in Bromsgrove at volvo tuning, for a 280bhp Rica re-map, whatever the output is I pretty much smiled the 150 miles back home with an ENORMOUS increase in power!
AND my average mpg figure has bettered by about 3-4mpg.

I thought my T5 was quick before, but now it flies.
I would certainly reccomend this service to anyone. And the best thing of it all is that there are no mega expensive replacement mechanical parts or bolt on bits.

Richie.

Old Oct 7th, 2005, 23:28   #24
adieu
Master Member

I would also like to say that MY T5R also flies with MTE software installed. I would also like to recommend Don's/Marco's service as well and MTE's Remap also does not require any addon's. And I believe can be done without even opening the ecu.

Regards

Iain

A turbo: Exhaust gasses go into the turbocharger and spin it, witchcraft happens and you go faster
Old Oct 7th, 2005, 23:49   #25
bobcat
Premier Member

>This is my Rica 340 (light line) vs. MTE 19T (dark line) maps
>:
>
>http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/dyno/comp.jpg
>
>Done on the same day, same rollers, same operator.
>
>Whatever you go for, you'll be impressed !!
>
>Chris
>
>More dyno plots on website.
>_______________________________________________ _
>
>http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk/sava.jpg with a few
>go faster modifications . .
>
>http://chriswhiteuk.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

thats a very good plot chris, mte seems to be best until 4500 then the rica gains. if marco could sort out the latter then that would beat the rica all the way.

was that 19t map custom or of the shelf.

how long would a custom map take to make? (roughly)

thanks.

reagarding the rica claims, well from general reading around you dont see many 850 t5's making over 300bhp on dyno's. Thats a fact read up on it. but remember our cars are old and that rica's claims come from new cars!!!!

the above dyno shows 280 bhp at the wheels on an independant dyno. thats:

311bhp @ 10% tranny loss
330bhp @ 15% tranny loss
350bhp @ 20% tranny loss

most people say 12-15 for our trannies so thats 320-330 bhp. but this is with a new 19t, 3" dp (probably) and a cat back.

so the people with a bit of savvy would find it hard to believe a 100k 850 t5 with a 100k 15g will make 304bhp!!!!!

Don is right, 280 is around what a random 850 t5 will make when chipped.

Rica's claims are just used cleverly, as they are for a new engine and turbo.

plus 304bhp is a great selling point isnt is, bit like Linford Christie saying he can run 100m in 10 secs, yes he could but 10 years ago!!!!

some guys, common sense needs to be used here and you need to take advice buy sellers and other parties involved (through sponsorship etc) with a pinch of salt.

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 00:03   #26
volvotuning

Matt,

Chris's map was done when we didn't have the dyno, and also when we did experience a few technical problems with his car. Now that we have the new dyno, such problems are easily and quickly rectified. Hence why our custom mapping now gives much better results, especially with the new fan installed.

Adam.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:09   #27
weasel

i'm thinking about having an ecu upgrade, but.... wouldn't a panel filter, an exhaust (that will at some point need replacing), switching off the aircon and a damned good thrashing after the battery being disconnected for 24 hours yeild quite a hoik in hp? as i understand it, plod cars have 300hp - done on a rolling road. as to fuel economy of 3-4mpg, that'd pay for itself giving around 3 months of average free motoring - just as long as your insurance premium doesn't up!

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 01:20   #28
volvotuning

>i'm thinking about having an ecu upgrade, but.... wouldn't a
>panel filter, an exhaust (that will at some point need
>replacing), switching off the aircon and a damned good
>thrashing after the battery being disconnected for 24 hours
>yeild quite a hoik in hp?

The air filter gives a small improvement. The exhaust may give a small improvement. But switching the air con off will and resetting the ECU will not give you a power hike as such, but rather it may restore any power you have lost.

For a true power hike, an ECU upgrade is the way forward if you want maximum gain for your money.

Adam.

Old Oct 8th, 2005, 02:15   #29
Dan F
Premier Member

>the above dyno shows 280 bhp at the wheels on an independant
>dyno. thats:
>
>311bhp @ 10% tranny loss
>330bhp @ 15% tranny loss
>350bhp @ 20% tranny loss
>
>most people say 12-15 for our trannies so thats 320-330 bhp.
>but this is with a new 19t, 3" dp (probably) and a cat back.

Hi.
Just for the record; I have used PEs rolling road twice and the figures they produce on their charts are estimated crank HP figures, not wheel HP figures. That is what I was told by them.

Regards,
Dan.
Old Oct 8th, 2005, 09:22   #30
bobcat
Premier Member

>>the above dyno shows 280 bhp at the wheels on an
>independant
>>dyno. thats:
>>
>>311bhp @ 10% tranny loss
>>330bhp @ 15% tranny loss
>>350bhp @ 20% tranny loss
>>
>>most people say 12-15 for our trannies so thats 320-330 bhp.
>>but this is with a new 19t, 3" dp (probably) and a cat back.
>
>Hi.
>Just for the record; I have used PEs rolling road twice and
>the figures they produce on their charts are estimated crank
>HP figures, not wheel HP figures. That is what I was told by
>them.
>
>Regards,
>Dan.

as homer would say, i seee!

so 280 is not very good then for crank hp!

that would in itself suggest not only is 304 not possible from just a chip but 280 isnt either as chrises car has a 19t,3" and cat back.

something isnt right there then, and would a remap yield another 60bhp?

Volvo 850R Auto,173K,Bobcat\SW Autos Ecu,18T,Reverse IC,13 Row Engine Oil Cooler,39 Row ATF Cooler,20psi VDO Boost Gauge,6000k HID's (low), Osram 50% Silverstars (High),ITG Filter,OEM Strutbrace,Aerial Down Switch,302mm Front Discs,Ferodo DS2500 Front/Rear,Goodridge SS Hoses,Koni Adjustable Dampers,Eibach Pro Kit, Powerflex Control Arm Bushes, Clear Side Repeaters.
http://www.swautos.co.uk
SW Auto's Ebay Shop
http://www.volvo-tech.co.uk
Closed Thread