Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

SC-xxx AUX INPUT HACK

Views : 84959

Replies : 301

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Mar 6th, 2010, 15:09   #1
bobbych
Premier Member

Default SC-xxx AUX INPUT HACK

ok after trying to find a solution that does not cost the earth, i found the AUX hack trick, and decided to try it myself. So here is how it is done.

It basically allows you to tap into the TAPE DECK sytem, by soldering in some external connections.

This is ONLY FOR THE SC-XXX series of VOLVO HEAD UNITS

Firstly, remove the Stereo, and remove the TOP 4 screws

then you will see the TAPE UNIT. remove the 4 corner screws shown

Remove the tape unit by LIFTING up the unit gently. it will come out of the connector at the rear as shown

now, have a look at the connector. it sits on what is known as a RISER. it is a small circuit board. Simply pull up the rider shown, and remove it.

now you have the card out, have a look at the labels. You will see 3 items listed as L[eft] R[ight] and A-GND[ground]

these are the areas where the Stereo takes the TAPE DECK L+R outputs. So we are simply going to tap into these

Get yourself some PHONO connections. I plumped for some female ones, so i can connect normal male ends to it once in the car

Solder on the two connections to the pins. Solder your RED connector to the L and the WHITE to the R. then both EARTH wires to the A-GND. Then apply some tape over it

now refit the RISER CARD to the stereo. you will then have the two connectors. you have some options to get these OUTSIDE the stereo now.

the way i did it, was to remove the back plate, and cut out one of the oval slots. this way you can feed in the wires.

next, fit back in the tape unit, and screw in the 4 screws. Now replace the lid. and you are ready to refit to the car

once back in the car, connect your ext source, in my case an IPOD

Now, here you need to fool the system into thinking you have a tape in, before it will let you select it. What i did, before i replaced the top lit, was manually put the tape deck into the LOADED mode. this way you do not need anything in the deck, and you simply select TAPE and it will play. You will then hear your external source perfectly.

However, if you press the eject button it will eject the mechanism, and you will then be stuck to get it going again

so the other way, is get an old cassete, OPen it up, and remove all the magnetic tape, and assmeble again, so you have a blank cassette case. THen simply slot this into the player. this will allow you to select TAPE but no sound will come from the cassette. Simples!!!

with this hack, you do NOT tie up your CD Changer port. it does also allow the TAPE to be used also, so you do not loose that function.

so, now i have TAPE, RADIO, CD Changer, AND EXT AUX inputs on my SC-801!

the whole process took me 1 hr to complete.

I have a spare SC800, so if anyone wants this, with the AUX sockets let me know, and I can mod it, and sell it to you.

1994 850 TURBO (2008 - 2011)
Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather

Last edited by bobbych; Mar 6th, 2010 at 15:11.
bobbych is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 15:19   #2
AndysR
VOC Member

Excellent post, I now have an MP3 player and was wondering what the best way to play sound through the stereo was without either loosing the CD changer or broadcasting the music via the FM transmitter on the MP3 player which is tempremental. I shall have to go and get me some phono leads now and get this done
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 15:44   #3
bobbych
Premier Member

it is an easy hack mate, and works a treat!

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 15:45   #4
bobbych
Premier Member

here is the original post, that I used to do it with

http://www.tadfad.com/2007/09/15/volvo-radio-hack/

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post:
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 16:55   #5
dave.robbo
T5 Owner..

Excellent post... Now... If only I could do something similar to my HU803!!

Now, a P1 V70 SE auto, bi-fuel, but the gas tank's been removed. Why??
dave.robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 18:36   #6
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Does anyone have a schematic for one of these units available? It's doubtful anyone uses their tape deck any more, so why not completely disable the tape deck and use its audio channel for a full time aux input. Would mean disabling the motor full time...IDEA, why not put the tape deck into loaded mode and then disconnect the motor, this would stop the tape carriage from being ejected and thus the subsequent dismantle and manual re-load. I would assume that there is a mode switch on the deck theat tells the system that it is loaded so it would be in "tape loaded" mode all the time? Only down side I can see is when pushing the eject button it mutes the tape deck, but that might not happen if the mode switch still says "tape loaded" or the system may detect a tape jam error if the carriage does not reach an unloaded postion. Why not give it a go bobbych?

(P.S I was an audio engineer for years repairing things like this).

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 18:42   #7
rabbitsworld14
Niall Clark

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post
Does anyone have a schematic for one of these units available? It's doubtful anyone uses their tape deck any more, so why not completely disable the tape deck and use its audio channel for a full time aux input. Would mean disabling the motor full time...IDEA, why not put the tape deck into loaded mode and then disconnect the motor, this would stop the tape carriage from being ejected and thus the subsequent dismantle and manual re-load. I would assume that there is a mode switch on the deck theat tells the system that it is loaded so it would be in "tape loaded" mode all the time? Only down side I can see is when pushing the eject button it mutes the tape deck, but that might not happen if the mode switch still says "tape loaded" or the system may detect a tape jam error if the carriage does not reach an unloaded postion. Why not give it a go bobbych?

As for the eject problem... could you not just disconnect the button itself so that it doesn't have any affect?
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 18:47   #8
ShadeTek
Premier Member

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitsworld14 View Post
As for the eject problem... could you not just disconnect the button itself so that it doesn't have any affect?
Yes!.....

V70 SE NAV 1.6 D2 2015MY POWERSHIFT, D4162T, 86000miles, RED.
/VOL FCR/PEPER OBD2/Acron 9135 OBD2/L.E.D Flasher/VDASH/ANCEL BA301
ShadeTek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 18:52   #9
bobbych
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadeTek View Post

i dare say yes, this is very easy to do. Like i said, i have the spare sc800 i can practice on, so I think next week i will look at how to disable the tape desk eject

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather

Last edited by bobbych; Mar 6th, 2010 at 18:55.
Old Mar 6th, 2010, 18:57   #10
bobbych
Premier Member

i will also look at disabling the motor, as presently, it all spins up just like a tape is installed too, so you hear it whiring away

Now Scrapped Sadly
Metallic Grey
Full Leather
The Following User Says Thank You to bobbych For This Useful Post: