Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sensus Connected Touch on XC60

Views : 10931

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:17   #61
acb5

You do not need a dongle for VOC. You only need a dongle if it is connected touch. VOC comes with a sim card holder in the glovebox which if you use provides a data connection using the shark fin and a wifi hotspot. Do not order a dongle, just a data sim.
acb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acb5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:20   #62
beacytan

Quote:
Originally Posted by acb5 View Post
You do not need a dongle for VOC. You only need a dongle if it is connected touch. VOC comes with a sim card holder in the glovebox which if you use provides a data connection using the shark fin and a wifi hotspot. Do not order a dongle, just a data sim.
thanks for that - thats the info i got today from the dealer. i dont want to/wont use a dongle as i need to use the external antenna, as you just confirmed VOC does, and this is the reason i have just canceled my car order today. i already have a 4g data sim, can you tell me if VOC accepts/uses 4g? or is it limited to 3g? thanks in advance
beacytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:24   #63
acb5

I am pretty sure it is limited to 3g, which I think is in the manual, as its the hardware in the car that does the data transmission which is very unlikely to be 4g
acb5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to acb5 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:27   #64
beacytan

Quote:
I am pretty sure it is limited to 3g, which I think is in the manual, as its the hardware in the car that does the data transmission which is very unlikely to be 4g
that's what i thought too.. thanks for taking the time to post, i appreciate it
beacytan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 19:49   #65
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Apologies for saying dongle, I meant SIM

What I was meaning to refer to is this post which implies that you have 2 connections with VOC, an inbuilt one for VOC and a separate one for the Internet - it actually states that the phone tethering provides better connectivity than VOC

Quote:
I think the confusion here is the sim card holder in the car which you get with VOC is exactly the same as tethering your phone and works only with the apps in sensus connect. The app for VOC connects to the car via the embedded onboard GSM setup which does not require a sim card in the sim holder to work. My app works with VOC and I have no sim card in the holder as I only use my phone. It actually connects quicker as the sim card when the car is started has to power up like a phone whereas the phone is already up and running. I have tried both methods and personally I think the phone link is better and quicker, unless you want in car Wifi in which case you have to use the sim holder.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 21:39   #66
Flux
Premier Member

Quote:
According to my conversation with someone who has they system, VOC will only accept 3G regardless of whether the sim you have is 4G. Was also told that a tethered mobile with the option of 4G would provide a better internet signal than VOC. Not withstanding that at least with VOC you have the choice of permanent internet via SIM or the option to tether a mobile. Nice to have the choice I guess.

Last edited by Flux; Feb 28th, 2014 at 21:41.
Flux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 23:09   #67
bonobo

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherwaddy View Post
So from May the premium sound will be Harman kardon speakers, does anyone know what the current is, thinking should I delay my April delivery to pick up my15!!
I've got the standard high performance audio in my new XC60 and it is so much more impressive than the Harman Kardon system in my last car. Makes me wonder what more can be gained from Volvo's Premium audio.
bonobo is offline   Reply With Quote