Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Performance Volvo Cars
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Performance Volvo Cars A forum for those interested in any Volvo performance car from any era, FWD, RWD and AWD!

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A Massive Massive Thanks to fellow forum member "MOLE"

Views : 1063

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 4th, 2007, 00:38   #1
Nuisance
VOC Member

Default A Massive Massive Thanks to fellow forum member "MOLE"

What can I say.....

Thanks is far too inadequate.

Thus I nominate Tim (Mole) for an award for services beyond the call of duty.

Why?

Well I was stuffed.

I'd been nursing my elderly engine for some time, continuously trying to patch up a water leak, and it becoming obvious that it was going to need a bit of a re-furb.

So the clutch starting to slip was the last straw. There was no sense whatsoever in fitting a new clutch to a failing motor, only to have to re-fit it to another in a few months time.

I'd just jumped at the chance of anther motor and the deal had come through.

The motor was a known quantity, and the car had only done about 115,000 miles. (half of mine)

On Thursday It was All systems go. Exploddustbin (Andy) who had also purchased the wreck with me, had collected it and it was ready for stripping. (thanks Andy)

Now Tim had for some time been reminding me that if I needed stuff doing, I should give him a call and he'd help out. So I thought I'd call his bluff.... "Tim!" I asked... "how about swapping my engine with me". Expecting a sod off from him, but no... He said "when?", so I replied "this Weekend"... Now I REALLY expected a "sod off"... Instead I got a "I'll try and fit it in"...

At this time I was almost speechless......

Not only did Tim Agree to help swap the engine, but he also drove to Andy's stripped the engine from the scrapper, and cleaned it up ready for fitting.

The Whole re-fit went like clockwork, and I was driving away in a re-engined car on Sunday evening.

The bloody thing even started on the first turn of the key, with no ECU codes triggered.

The work carried out by us was as follows.

Strip engine from S60 (big thanks to both Tim and Andy)
Prepare it for re-fitting (strip turbo, injectors, and ETA)
Remove old engine from V70.
Remove Rad and IC from V70
Swap Green injectors over.
Clean and swap ETM over.
Swap Cam position sensor over.
Swap Crank position sensor over.
Swap VVT actuator over.
Swap Temp sensor over.
Clean and port VT Hybrid turbo.
Swap Power steering racks.
Swap front O/S wishbone.
Swill out the intercooler with petrol.
Flush the coolant system.
Fully service the engine.. New plugs oil filter and oil.
Re-fit the new engine to the V70.

All done in one weekend........
AND! It started on the first turn of the key....

I can only express my most sincere thanks to Tim for his generosity with both his time and hospitality.
I am humbled by his generosity.

He's got me out of a serious bind.... and I have learned much about the car in the process.

Hopefully one day the actions can be re-paid.

Cheers Tim.!

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

To summarize the summary:
Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

To summarize the summary of the summary:
People are a problem.
Nuisance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 00:42   #2
Nuisance
VOC Member

Some Illustration....

To summarize:
It is a well-known fact that those people who most want to rule people are, ipso facto, those least suited to do it.

Anyone who is capable of getting themselves made President should on no account be allowed to do the job.

People are a problem.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 00:54   #3
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

what you doing with the old engine / clutch / flywheel , whatever you have left .
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 00:59   #4
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by davebslater(uk) View Post
what you doing with the old engine / clutch / flywheel , whatever you have left .
I've given the engine. FOC to fellow forum member BlackBeast.

It needs a bit of work on it, and he is going to strip it.

I couldn't sell it. My concience would never rest. I don't know 100% how it is, so I couldn't really profit from it and feel that the new owner has got a good deal.

To summarize:

People are a problem.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:00   #5
Nuisance
VOC Member

We also (Tim Mainly) Ported the turbo compressor exit too!

Meanwile. Somewhere in the Midlands, at the T5D5 Secret Vehicle Preperations Workshops..............

A little bit of turbo porting went on.

Whilst we had the engine in bits, and after much discussion about ensuring a good smooth airflow around the compressor, The good Professor Wiliams set to work with his somewhat poorly Bosch drill and Dremmel.

The results... A far smoother transition from the compressor exit to the charge air hose. It's not expected to make a massive improvement, but anyone who knows anything about airflow will tell you that sudden changes in cross sectional area with abrupt edges DO cause flow resistance.

The Compressor intake had already been ported by the manufacturer, so only the outlet work was needed.

This is a picture of a Standard 16T for comparison.

This is the already ported inlet (notice diferent compressor wheel)

This Was the outlet as it was (Silicone coupler still attached)

This was after porting. (fitted)

And yes, we did ensure that no filings went into any part of the turbo, by sealing all orifices

To summarize:

People are a problem.

Last edited by Nuisance; Dec 4th, 2007 at 01:06.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:00   #6
mole

The old engine is being given by Nuisance to another forum member for free, so sorry it has already been acounted for.
mole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:02   #7
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

ahh , could do with a head to look at for development purposes .

are they variable valve timing heads ? - whats that thing on the cam cover near the cam pulleys ?
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:17   #8
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
ahh , could do with a head to look at for development purposes .

are they variable valve timing heads ? - whats that thing on the cam cover near the cam pulleys ?
I know where there is one if you want one..... Andy who has the rest of the donor car has also got a non-too-well Phase 2 T5 engine sitting arround...

I'll show hin this thread.

This engine.....

It has VVT on the exhaust cam....

The later 2.4 cars have it on both.

The thing you have spotted is the CVVT actuator, it's an oil pressure valve, that runs the hydraulic cam mover.

To summarize:

People are a problem.
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:25   #9
davebslater(uk)
redbollock guru

ooh nice one .

the thing im most interested in is teh valve train . the cams and actual casting wont be of any use in my 'project' .

another question - which engines have the variable valve timing ? i see it as PIA for my application if all the later engines 2000 on are VVT .

nice to see your getting your motor sorted ! its amazing how much a competent diyer could do without even seeing a car .
Old Dec 4th, 2007, 01:48   #10
Nuisance
VOC Member

Quote:
ooh nice one .

the thing im most interested in is teh valve train . the cams and actual casting wont be of any use in my 'project' .

another question - which engines have the variable valve timing ? i see it as PIA for my application if all the later engines 2000 on are VVT .

nice to see your getting your motor sorted ! its amazing how much a competent diyer could do without even seeing a car .

Looks like you are going down a smilar route to BlackBeast.

He wants the P2 head and manifold for the improved flow, but will be using them on a P1 car without a VVT capable ECU.

They will need "locking off" in order to work properly in that case. I don't know the full workings of the CVVT system, or at what point they should be locked off. Hopefully somebody will know.... or maybe it's "pioneering work" and will need experimenting with.

Sounds interesting..

But very soon I expect many more people will be looking to do some interesing work on the post 2000 cars, and we will see some movement forwards on that side of things.

But at the moment I've given up trusting so called "tuners".

Forum members own eforts seem to be of better standard. and it's far more educational too.

Cheers for the comments Dave.

To summarize:

People are a problem.