Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

price for oil change

Views : 1225

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jun 28th, 2006, 19:52   #1
Gareths306
Premier Member

Default price for oil change

I got a price for an oil change today, £71+VAT at an Indy in Bristol. Not bad considering Volvo Stealers wanted £125+VAT!

They are gonna use 10W 40, they say what the stealers use. Is that true? Not sure what brand they are using though.

The place looked pretty decent. Got attacked by a seagull on the way in mind! Swooped down 3 times!

They wanted £140+VAT for a full service, but i thought oil change is prob 90% of the service anyway! And the chances are they will spot something wrong underneath when it goes up on the ramps!

The guy almost lost a door on a V40 mind when the adjacent car (S80) went up on the ramps.... the car was going up in the air and the V40 door was open. Almost took the door off!

So i'm gonna stay there when they do the oil change!

What do they do on the service exactly? Do they do much more? He mentioned pollen filter, is that the same as the air filter? And how much is the pollen filter, and how easy is it to replace?

thanks
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 21:15   #2
Gareths306
Premier Member

Just looking on halfrauds website...

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/s...&beginIndex=12

they got lots of oil on there.... can you use castrol gtd magnetec 10W40 on the D5? i got a few litres of that here and isnt a bad price - £20

They also got castrol edge sport various viscosities.
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 23:09   #3
S60-MBS
VOC Member

pollen filter is something else gareth,it cleans the air inside cabin,its located under the dashboard and is abit of a handful to change there is a few threads regarding this already..try searching for pollen filter
Old Jun 28th, 2006, 23:11   #4
S60-MBS
VOC Member

i would rather use Castrol edge turbo diesel ...but since price is so high i am going for the free option of shell helix..this brand of oil seems to get some very good ratings and reviews from users..
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 03:22   #5
J..M

Oil change is what it says it is ......... Unless they call it that & actually mean somthing else......

Oil change means (Option1) Removing the exsisting oil & replenishing

Oil change means (Option2) Removing the exsisting oil & filter replenishing oil, fitting the new filter & replacing the copper sacrificial oil seal on the sump.

Full service could mean anything .......... You really need to know what they offer in a full service & what the cost impact options are........

Will they find somthing else to do while they have it in bits ?....... Well what do you think?

Full service to me means:
General consumables to change
Oil (Engine)
Oil Filter
ATF
Spark Plugs
Air Filter
Fuel filter
Cabin filter
Lubricate & clean as necessary
locks
pedal hangers
hinges
Top up Washer fluid
Top up coolant
Top up brake fluid
Report on condition of
Coolant
Brake fluid
Wipers
General Brake Lining condition
Visual check of major components (Exhaust, piping etc etc)
Overall general condition of vehicle, pointing out any points that will require attention in the future

Ohh by the way oil will cost the garage about £4 a litre & a after market filter about £5 ............... Nice work if you can get it.......

If you feel the need to be there when the work is carried out, I suggest you go to somone you can trust

Last edited by J..M; Jun 29th, 2006 at 03:33.
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 08:41   #6
neek

I don't get a quote for a service, it seems to lead to a bad job. If you have a garage you trust, take it to them and letting them do what the car needs I think is a better idea. Like J.M mentioned, a service should involve lots more than an oil change, I had My T5 serviced at 76k and I nearly fell through the floor when it cost me nearly £800, but the breakdown did justify the work. Oil, filter, fuel filter, pollen filter, engine flush, fuel treatment, check of plugs and all the other things, lubricate stuff, check bushings and all the other things, then replace all the breaks! Pads and Disks front and back, they were in a real bad way! I don't think it would have received that level of attention if they were working to a price quote and I could have been left running on knackered disks until either I crashed or it failed an MOT.
neek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 12:46   #7
Viper_7
Premier Member

When Volvo did my service - it was the price of the Oil that astounded me it was £97 or something like that! Talk about mark up!
I could get the same stuff ( forget the name now Shell Helix something) for £25 from ya local halfrauds etc.

If it's just the oil change your after - make sure they do change the filter!
Or your nice clean oil goes through a dirty/clogged filter!
Should always change the Sump Gasket.

Of all the things to not sacrifice on quality it's the oil.

Don't forget though with Volvo - they actually replace parts that they have been told to do so by Volvo as they have been known to fail prematurly - ie feedback on Warranty work and won't charge you for it / tell you about it!

Vipes
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29th, 2006, 17:55   #8
S60-MBS
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7

Don't forget though with Volvo - they actually replace parts that they have been told to do so by Volvo as they have been known to fail prematurly - ie feedback on Warranty work and won't charge you for it / tell you about it!

Vipes
Thats something good old Stratstones been doing ..a few months back when i went to buy a tunnel console..the chappy at parts counter was quite friendly and i got chatting to him..he showed me the history of my car after i gave him my chassis number..some of the work done i knew about as i had paid for it but the majority of work done i knew nothing about..including steering linkages,engine mounting,sump gasket,heatshield(whatever that is) there were few other things which i cant recall..
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 11:07   #9
seany
Not So Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by S60-MBS
i would rather use Castrol edge turbo diesel ...but since price is so high i am going for the free option of shell helix..this brand of oil seems to get some very good ratings and reviews from users..

Same oil I've used for years in TD engines, Mo

5 out of 4 people don't understand fractions.
seany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2006, 18:48   #10
imac
Premier Member

Inc oil, I paid £70 for an oil change but that included a full report on the car too.

Shell Helix 5w40 fully synth.