Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V40 front wheel bearing

Views : 396

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 9th, 2019, 20:07   #1
V40 Gaz

Default V40 front wheel bearing

How easy are these to replace?
I'm an ex mechanic & done loads of FWD bearings, but never a V40. I've got a press, but it's a cheap 6 ton thing, & I'm not sure it's be up to pressing in a FWD bearing.
V40 Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 09:38   #2
emtor

Why not buy a complete hub/bearing assembly?
That would save you the agony of fighting a stubborn bearing.
emtor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 18:24   #3
V40 Gaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by emtor View Post
Why not buy a complete hub/bearing assembly?
That would save you the agony of fighting a stubborn bearing.
I didn't know you could get them.
V40 Gaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2019, 20:53   #4
magnuz
Ancient

Can't see why they would be anymore difficult than any other front wheel drive bearing, that has the wide double race type ball bearing ?
I usually find that the hardest part is getting the old one out, the new ones usually go back in fairly easy, even with a good strong vice they can often be pressed in !
magnuz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14th, 2019, 20:27   #5
Miketwovolvos
Miketwovolvos

Default pressing bearings in and out

You are right, removing them can be hard. The hub has to be pulled out, then the hub carrier has to be removed from the car, the ABS sensor removed (for safety so you don't damage it) then you need a 10 ton press to push the bearing out, remembering first to remove the circlip...I have changed three with a press and if you cool the new bearing in the freezer beforehand they are not too hard to press in.

YOu can buy extractor kits where you just remove the hub then undo either the lower balljoint/or unbolt the carrier from the strut, so you can remove the driveshaft. Then reattach the hub carrier and use the kit ( a long bolt and some disks ) to push out the bearing. I am actually keen to try this myself, as i no longer have access to the press. The kits are about 30 quid. If you oil the bolt in the kit it should work...insertion is the reverse and the kit will help you insert the hub back into the carrier so you can put the drive shaft back in..

Bearings for s40/v40s range from 20 quid to 40 odd..
Miketwovolvos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Miketwovolvos For This Useful Post: