Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > ETM Issues

Notices

ETM Issues Discuss issues regarding the problems with ETMs fitted to Volvo cars.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Just how bad is the ETM issue ?

Views : 1499

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 18th, 2006, 15:22   #1
CH76UTB

Default Just how bad is the ETM issue ?

I'm currently looking for a V70, probably around 1999-2000 petrol. However, having read the reports on ETM failure I'm now reconsidering my position.

From what I can gather there is a school of thought that says all petrol V70's between 1999-2001 will suffer ETM failure at some point...roughly around the 100,000miles mark.

Is this true? From what I've seen there are numerous 1999-2001 petrol V70's for sale with mileages way above 100,000 miles. Have all these cars suffered ETM failures at some point?

Any advice would be most welcome
regards
Disillusioned from Sheffield
CH76UTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 15:27   #2
addyman

more than likely, mine did, once at 85,000, again at 122,000
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 15:49   #3
V70 driver
V70 driver

Wink Etm

I became a V70 owner in june and it was'nt until I joined the forum that I saw all the cooments about the ETM. I have spoken to my local main dealer who says, car's serviced when they should be and generally looked after then the item should be OK. BUT, he warns that it is a part that can wear out like any mechanical or electrical part . Looking at the forum, it looks like the majority of the ETM failures are on high mileage cars, save for a few (before I get shot down) I would not be put off buying a V70 because a certain part could be prone to failure. There are hundreds of people on this website, not all have the V70 /850 but there must be thousands of both models out on the road somewhere in the world. Buy one and look after it, am sure then it will look after you.
Good luck
V70 driver
V70 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 16:00   #4
chow

Quote:
Originally Posted by V70 driver View Post
I became a V70 owner in june and it was'nt until I joined the forum that I saw all the cooments about the ETM. I have spoken to my local main dealer who says, car's serviced when they should be and generally looked after then the item should be OK. BUT, he warns that it is a part that can wear out like any mechanical or electrical part . Looking at the forum, it looks like the majority of the ETM failures are on high mileage cars, save for a few (before I get shot down) I would not be put off buying a V70 because a certain part could be prone to failure. There are hundreds of people on this website, not all have the V70 /850 but there must be thousands of both models out on the road somewhere in the world. Buy one and look after it, am sure then it will look after you.
Good luck
V70 driver
sadly the cosy thought of looking after your car wont make a damn bit of difference, its a crap piece of kit and can fail at any time, (its been the subject of a lawsuit in the states so bad is the problem) i would budget for its failure, and if it doesnt, great you have saved a fair few quid
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 17:33   #5
V70 driver
V70 driver

Wink Yep

You're probably right, Chow, I still bow to your engineering experience and knowledge and because you have probably had a Volvo longer than me. I'm still learning.
V70 driver

Quote:
Originally Posted by chow View Post
sadly the cosy thought of looking after your car wont make a damn bit of difference, its a crap piece of kit and can fail at any time, (its been the subject of a lawsuit in the states so bad is the problem) i would budget for its failure, and if it doesnt, great you have saved a fair few quid
V70 driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18th, 2006, 22:21   #6
CH76UTB

Default from buy buy Volvo to bye bye Volvo???

The more I read about Volvo and the ETM issue the less inclined I am to buy another Volvo. I own a 740 estate and it's been fantastic for the 5 years I've owned it. Sadly it now needs replacing and the V70 was the only candidate until I read up on the ETM problem.

This plus Volvo's 'Pontius Pilate' style response to the problem has made me think again. It seems to me that Volvo UK are ill advised to continue with their current stance....particularly as everyone can see the different approach adopted by Volvo USA. The reputation of Volvo in the UK could very well be destroyed. I for one had plans to be a Volvo owner for life, even moving the wife from a BMW 5 series to a C70. TIME TO THINK AGAIN.....which is what Volvo ought to do.

Cheers
CH
PS I bet Volvo UK don't even have the common sense to monitor sites like this to measure the extent of the problem and the negative publicity it's generating.
CH76UTB is offline   Reply With Quote