Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Sales
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Newbie looking for V70 advice

Views : 6349

Replies : 80

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jul 18th, 2016, 20:10   #21
LardFather

Yeah, didn't realise how long it had been sat when I first saw it.

Shame you're not still selling yours Tetleysmooth
LardFather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18th, 2016, 20:21   #22
Tetleysmooth
Master Member

I would, but just haven't found anything decent enough to replace it.
Tetleysmooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 00:35   #23
bournricha
bournricha

On the matter of price .With some certainty a phase 1 for restoration ie no mot ,should be about £100 -150,with a new mot ,and that means a lot nowadays ,the test is so comprehensive ,will add £500 of use value .
These are private sale prices .
If you can get one with new mot ,and cambelt (but dont get hung up on this as they are not that hard to do,and the existing one can be examined by prizing open the cover a little ,some later ones have a little hatch to do this ),with some warranty maybe ,i can see that £1000 might be breached in a retail situation .the main thing is to get the good one and a few pounds does not matter .
Is there anyone you know, who knows these cars ,can help you vet things ?
New mot does count for a lot in my book and if the test was more than a quarter spent ,i would get a new one at my own expense,before spending much money , to make sure .It is a very thorough exam and does cover just about everything .
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 07:43   #24
LardFather

I was thinking along the same lines, £1k for the car with 12 months MOT and cambelt replaced so at least I can get it home without the engine committing suicide. I don't have anyone I can take away for the day to look at the car with me but I understand a bit myself just no specific Volvo experience other than changing a head unit in a c70 which isn't too relevant here. I'd be working on the fact that the cambelt and MOT will get me home and keep the car running while I can do the other things; fluids, brakes and tyres.

OR

This is local to me (less than 5 miles) but its the lower (126) power engine which I'm not sure about, it look tidy on the photos though.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1997-Volvo...kAAOSwuzRXe9Sm

Last edited by LardFather; Jul 19th, 2016 at 08:08.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 08:22   #25
Richard_TD
Master Member

That last one looks ok actually, other than the weedy engine. You should definitely look at it, if only to get a feel for the model. I would be asking how it landed up in a scrapyard though.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 08:57   #26
LardFather

There's also this one that's close but I'm not sure how to diagnose why its in limp mode?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-...cAAOSwymxVR5Rh
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:22   #27
Richard_TD
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LardFather View Post
There's also this one that's close but I'm not sure how to diagnose why its in limp mode?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Volvo-V70-...cAAOSwymxVR5Rh
You would need a VIDA-DICE kit. You get them from China on eBay for about £70 and you need a laptop with IIRC 3GB of RAM and Windows 7 or XP SP3. You might find a local member willing to scan it for you. I'd do it but I'm 200 miles away.

I would strongly recommend getting VIDA-DICE anyway if you buy any 1999 on Volvo.
Old Jul 19th, 2016, 10:30   #28
LardFather

Just spoke to the dealer and he explained the following;

He bought the car from another dealer and on the way back to his place it went into limp mode after 10 miles. He has had many Volvos in the past and he is sure this is a throttle body issue (he explained this to me in some detail) as there are other symptoms like erratic idle. The car starts and drives fine but has this issue with limp mode. He suggested that the throttle body would need to be replaced (scrap yard) or re-manufactured (and suggested BBA reman), its the 170 car and has full/extensive history.

I'm probably going to have a look over the weekend, I'll see if I can get a code reader before then or validate if its the throttle body somehow.
Old Jul 25th, 2016, 07:54   #29
LardFather

Default So I viewed the car . . .

on Sunday, it seemed fine, in need of some TLC but fine with the exception of the throttle body and the lack of an MOT. The guy's keen to sell because he's moving premises and need some space. The car's an import from Ireland and was owned by one guy since it was imported. I didn't get a VIDA-DICE and it was lumpy to start which I assume was the throttle body, to start it the guy had to rev it as kept cutting out once running the idle speed bounced around.

I'm not sure if the import status affects things or if there's anything else I should look for?
Old Jul 26th, 2016, 07:04   #30
capt jack
VOC Member

£500 for a car you can't drive is a lot to risk. It probably is the throttle body - especially if it's the original. And you can confirm this quite easily from the colour of the label on the throttle body itself. There are plenty of threads on here as to how to do it.

You'll struggle to find a £500 car that doesn't need some work, but if it's got a longish MOT, a full history with a cambelt change not too long ago then why not offer him £250?

Bear in mind he is a trader - which means you have rights. If he is telling you that he car needs a throttle body and he is wrong, then he is misrepresenting the car and you would be entitled to your money back. He cannot legally sell you the car 'as seen' or as a 'trade sale with no warranty'. He is a dealer and therefore obliged to back up his claims.

Cheers

Jack
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
advice needed, costs, high mileage, new buyer, v70