Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Can't force regen using VIDA-DICE (help)

Views : 2250

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 27th, 2019, 12:14   #1
WilBo

Default Can't force regen using VIDA-DICE (help)

Hi,
I've got a 2010 C30 1.6D and I'm having difficulty forcing a regen using VIDA-DICE. I have run a diagnostics and only have the following error code:

ECM-2A30 - Particulate filter trap - Blocked

I'm getting the following readings from the pressure sensor:

Idle - 27Hpa
2,000 RPM - 92Hpa
2,500 - 198Hpa

I've tried initiating a regen using VIDA but it just fails to initiate. I'm not all that experienced with VIDA. The engine is at the right temp and I don't have any other error codes other than the one above. I also checked the EOLYS fluid level and it is reading 6/15.

Can anyone give me some advice:
1) Any ideas what might be stopping the regen from starting?
2) Where can I find the 'soot mass in particulate filter' parameter (can't find it anywhere in ECM module)?

As a bit of background I had DPF problems twice before. First time it was because the EOLYS fluid had ran out. I refilled the fluid, reset the counter and forced a regen. All worked ok and the car was ok for a couple of thousand miles. Then the fault came back and I discovered a small hole in one of the pressure sensor hoses. I replaced one of the hoses and it has been fine for about 10,000 miles. The car has only done 21,884 miles in total, so I'm pretty sure it is not full of ash.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wil
WilBo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 29th, 2019, 22:14   #2
Danhere

just guessing here but im pretty sure I read that, if the swirl flap mechanism isnt working, it can stop a regen
Old May 30th, 2019, 10:53   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilBo View Post
Hi,
I've got a 2010 C30 1.6D and I'm having difficulty forcing a regen using VIDA-DICE. I have run a diagnostics and only have the following error code:

ECM-2A30 - Particulate filter trap - Blocked

I'm getting the following readings from the pressure sensor:

Idle - 27Hpa
2,000 RPM - 92Hpa
2,500 - 198Hpa

I've tried initiating a regen using VIDA but it just fails to initiate. I'm not all that experienced with VIDA. The engine is at the right temp and I don't have any other error codes other than the one above. I also checked the EOLYS fluid level and it is reading 6/15.

Can anyone give me some advice:
1) Any ideas what might be stopping the regen from starting?
2) Where can I find the 'soot mass in particulate filter' parameter (can't find it anywhere in ECM module)?

As a bit of background I had DPF problems twice before. First time it was because the EOLYS fluid had ran out. I refilled the fluid, reset the counter and forced a regen. All worked ok and the car was ok for a couple of thousand miles. Then the fault came back and I discovered a small hole in one of the pressure sensor hoses. I replaced one of the hoses and it has been fine for about 10,000 miles. The car has only done 21,884 miles in total, so I'm pretty sure it is not full of ash.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Wil
It will not regenerate with fault codes in the system !
you have very high pressure readings which confirm the particle filter is blocked , so change it and tell the car via VIDA that it has been replaced , make sure your additive tank is filled up if you have one ...
Old May 31st, 2019, 17:58   #4
WilBo

Thanks Danhere,
I don't have any other fault codes though, so I don't think it is the swirl flap.

Clan,
I think your probably right in that it won't regen because it thinks it is too blocked. Although there are two things that make me suspect that it is not really fully blocked (even though it says it is):

1) the car (and DPF) has only done 20,000 miles in total. I spoke to a guy who provides a mobile DPF service last time I had trouble and he said there is no way on earth it can be blocked with ash at that mileage, so it will just be soot. I think he was right because I discovered the PAT fluid had ran out, refilled it and then regened it with VIDA and had 10,000 miles without trouble;

2) After I regened last time (about 10,000 miles - 5 months ago) I have only done motorway miles since and it has been fine, and then all of a sudden 'blocked'. Nothing inbetween, just straight to blocked.

I did have a point somewhere inbetween, when the vacuum pipe developed a hole where it had been rubbing on the bracket. But I changed the pipe and the fault code dissapeared.

I'm wondering if it might be an issue with the vacuum hoses again. I want to rule everything else out before shelling out for a DPF.

Another thing I'm wondering about is whether having too much oil in the engine will block a regen. I think diesel has been getting past the rings during regens (as posted elsewhere in this forum), because the oil is now well over the max, despite having a service only 10,000 miles or so ago.

Does anyone know if having too much oil in the engine can stop regen procedure in VIDA?

The only other thing is, I can't be certain my VIDA is working correctly. The little DCP2000 chip icon (or whatever it is) is kind of greyed out when I go to run it.

Does anyone know if there is there anywhere I can get advice with VIDA?

Cheers,

Wil
Old May 31st, 2019, 19:09   #5
SwissXC90
Premier Member

Too much oil is bad because extra oil gets burnt and blocks the DPF.
Suck or drain oil out to get to normal level.

Forced Regens can only be made on an engine which is Running properly, is error free (no fault codes), at normal temp, and DPF soot Levels are not too high.

If you have any faults you have to fix them first.
If the DPF filter is too blocked you have to remove and clean it or replace it.
XC90 R-Design MY2009, Black Sapphire Metallic. HP-Sound, RSE, Nav, Tel, ParkingCam, BLIS, ParkingHeater, RestHeat, Removable Towbar, Summer: CRATUS 20x8 on Pirelli Scorpion Zeros 255/45, Winter: NEPTUNE 17x7 on Continental WinterContact 4x4 235/65.
SwissXC90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 07:32   #6
KBB
Master Tech

When a DPF reaches a pre- determined particulate matter (PM) fill level (around 40%), the ECU will activate the regeneration process, which can inject up to eight times more fuel per stroke – a rate which is needed to produce temperatures in excess of 550°C dry or 450°C with the passive system (fuel additive Eolys), so that it can incinerate the PM that has been captured within the DPF.

The regeneration process will not reach a conclusion if:

•The engine management light is illuminated for any fault
•There is less than 20L of fuel in the fuel tank or if the fuel light is on
•The pressure sensors are not working correctly
•The pressure sensor pipes are damaged – check for degradation under heat shielding
•The EGR system is not working correctly
•The engine oil is the incorrect specification for the vehicle – must be Low Ash grade. Check the engine oil for diesel contamination (could be the result of regeneration)
•The fuel additive, Eolys, level is too low

In order to carry out a forced DPF regeneration, the correct diagnostic or reset tool must be used. This operation could take up to 30 minutes. Ensure the regeneration process is conducted in a safe environment as exhaust temperatures will be very high.

If the DPF is not regenerated and the PM level fills to over 90% or 45g, the DPF will need replacing. This is not covered under warranty. When fitting a new DPF, the ECU must be reset before completing a forced regeneration. This is to ensure that the ECU knows that the DPF and all related sensors are reset to empty.
KBB is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to KBB For This Useful Post:
Old Jun 1st, 2019, 11:14   #7
WilBo

Thanks guys.
I think I'm gonna change the vacuum pipes to make sure they are OK and change the oil while I'm at it as it's coming up to the service interval anyway.

I'll check the other things on the list too. The eolys fluid was filled around 10k miles ago and the counter is registering 6/15. So that shouldn't be the problem.

Does anyone know where to find the soot mass parameter in Vida?

I can't find it anywhere. I've looked in the ecm module and all the other modules did that matter.

Cheers,

Wil
Old Jun 2nd, 2019, 22:41   #8
WilBo

Ok, so I think the problem was the DPF pressure sensor pipes.

I changed them today (and changed the oil and oil filter whilst I was at it). Hooked up VIDA to reset the service reminder indicator and the DPF blocked fault was gone.

With the new pressure sensor pipes I got the following pressure readings:

3hPa @ 788 rpm,
8hPa @ 2000 rpm,
16hPa @ 2500 rpm, and
29hPa @ 2900 rpm.

Turned the ignition off and back on again and sure enough no DPF blocked fault.

I took the car for a quick spin on the dual carriage way with someone keeping an eye on the DPF temperature and pressure sensor readings.

The pressure got quite high a couple of times (max. 127hPa) but then the DPF temperature got up to 550C + a few times and the pressure reduced down to aroun 47 hPa at around 2.5-3k rpm. So in other words it looked like it regened a couple of times whilst out on the road.

So basically I think the pressure pipes were at fault giving the super high pressure differential readings, which also stopped the car regening itself. Changing the pipes gave pressure readings in the noral range for the car to regen itself.

However, I'm slightly suspicious that there may be something causing the soot levels to build up quicker than normal and leading the car to regen itself more often than it should (hence the build up of diesel in the engine oil - there was around 1 litre more than I put in at the last service).

So, while I think I have solved the imediate problem, any suggestions on other things to check to make sure I don't have a soot build up probelm would be much appreciated. I think I've seen threads talking about blocked up EGR valve and/or dirty injectors leading to soot build up.

I'll post an update, for reference, if anything changes or if I find out any more.

Cheers,

Wil
The Following User Says Thank You to WilBo For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 31st, 2023, 15:52   #9
arrty91

Any further update on it?
arrty91 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
dpf, regen, vida dice 2014d