Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

940 HPT or LPT

Views : 1887

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 11th, 2019, 15:21   #1
Thejdizzler

Default 940 HPT or LPT

Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 940 with the intention of modifying it. After researching I have been reading about the difference between High Pressure Turbo HPT and Low pressure turbo LPT. I understand the technical difference. I also understand checking the cam cover tells you which version of the turbo the car has. However is there any other way of checking if a particular car has an LPT or HPT when looking online etc? Were the different turbos fitted to different spec models or is it ‘luck of the draw?’ which one the car has? I’m finding it hard to narrow down my online search for prospective cars.

Thanks all
Thejdizzler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 15:41   #2
griston64
Premier Member

It's the same turbo with a different actuator. HPT as it's name suggests runs at higher pressure.
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 15:54   #3
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thejdizzler View Post
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a 940 with the intention of modifying it. After researching I have been reading about the difference between High Pressure Turbo HPT and Low pressure turbo LPT. I understand the technical difference. I also understand checking the cam cover tells you which version of the turbo the car has. However is there any other way of checking if a particular car has an LPT or HPT when looking online etc? Were the different turbos fitted to different spec models or is it ‘luck of the draw?’ which one the car has? I’m finding it hard to narrow down my online search for prospective cars.

Thanks all
B230FK is the low pressure turbo , low 135bhp but high torque 230nm at low rpm this was not badged turbo and was built to compete with other 2.3 engines around at the time without advertising that it was a turbo ....

when you think the first B23E in 1979 was 140 bhp without a turbo it makes you wonder how on earth they did it !
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:02   #4
Thejdizzler

Ok thanks....so if it’s advertised as a turbo it will be HPT and if it is not it will be LPT?
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:10   #5
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Ok thanks....so if it’s advertised as a turbo it will be HPT and if it is not it will be LPT?
That is how it was when the LPT was launched , I cant remember when it disappeared ... Look for your engine type on the belt cover ... B230FT is the High pressure one
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:13   #6
Thejdizzler

I will look for ones advertised as Turbo then. I am trying to avoid wasting anyone’s time by going to view a 940 and then finding out when I get to see it that it is an LPT.
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:16   #7
griston64
Premier Member

They will all be advertised as Turbo. If you are modding the LPT is the better bet
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:20   #8
Thejdizzler

Why is the LPT a better bet? From what I read the LPT is better for towing but the HPT is better for performance? Happy to be proved wrong though!
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 16:28   #9
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
Why is the LPT a better bet? From what I read the LPT is better for towing but the HPT is better for performance? Happy to be proved wrong though!
The LPT will have been less stressed. As its exactly the same engine and turbo and you said you are modding, all you need to do is fit a manual boost gauge ( or a different actuator )and you have an HPT or more depending on how high you go with boost.

Lots of people on here have modded LPT to over 300bhp
Old Sep 11th, 2019, 17:34   #10
Thejdizzler

Ok makes sense. Thanks for your advice. On a side note, I am thinking mileage is not really an issue with these engines? Seen a few online between 150K-200K. Is it something that I should be bothered about when I’m looking? Obviously lower if possible but not a must?

Tags
900, 940, hpt, lpt, turbo