Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Engine won't rev and hunts

Views : 21198

Replies : 509

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 21st, 2019, 17:32   #141
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
My wiring might be slightly different but i know of a 1990 744 with LH2.4 that had the connector in a similar place. Have a look under the coolant tank and all round that general area.

If all else fails, if you can physically block the AICV off, whether by clamping or by taping over the end of it or whatever to set the base idle speed, that's a work-around.
Ive had a look all round and really can't find anything apart from that one with the pink wire. I can clamp the hose, would disconnecting the plug not do the same thing as that wire?
ANDTWENTY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ANDTWENTY For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 18:26   #142
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANDTWENTY View Post
I can clamp the hose, would disconnecting the plug not do the same thing as that wire?
You'd think so really, wouldn't you? Sadly not though as earthing that white/red wire puts the ECU into test mode and makes it close the AICV completely. Simply unplugging it is literally a game of roulette as you don't know where the barrel of the valve will be when you pull the plug.

That's why i said clamp the hose, you could unplug it as a "belt'n'braces" measure so the valve doesn't try and open up while you're setting the idle.

Any sign of the new/secondhand MAF yet?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21st, 2019, 20:38   #143
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
You'd think so really, wouldn't you? Sadly not though as earthing that white/red wire puts the ECU into test mode and makes it close the AICV completely. Simply unplugging it is literally a game of roulette as you don't know where the barrel of the valve will be when you pull the plug.

That's why i said clamp the hose, you could unplug it as a "belt'n'braces" measure so the valve doesn't try and open up while you're setting the idle.

Any sign of the new/secondhand MAF yet?
Ah okay I see what you mean, I'll give it a go with the hose clamped off. The MAF should have gone 1st class today so perhaps Monday or Tuesday.

Probably won't get a chance to do the idle valve till Tuesday cus of work but depending when the MAF comes I'll try that.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 19:58   #144
ANDTWENTY

Just got in from work and the MAF sensor has arrived, popped it on and tried it but the issue is still there. On the up side the idle is good now, was about 600rpm at first but was sitting at 900rpm soon after. Will try the fuel pump and change the filter under the car in the morning, not sure where to go next? The TPS is giving the correct readings and the car diagnostics comes back as okay, could this still be an issue?

Also not sure if its possible that this may sensor is also bad? the back best is damaged, potentially in the post as the box was knocked but was in a fair bit of bubble wrap!? few flies on the mesh and is dirty but the guy said it worked?
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 20:34   #145
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Just got in from work and the MAF sensor has arrived, popped it on and tried it but the issue is still there. On the up side the idle is good now, was about 600rpm at first but was sitting at 900rpm soon after. Will try the fuel pump and change the filter under the car in the morning, not sure where to go next? The TPS is giving the correct readings and the car diagnostics comes back as okay, could this still be an issue?

Also not sure if its possible that this may sensor is also bad? the back best is damaged, potentially in the post as the box was knocked but was in a fair bit of bubble wrap!? few flies on the mesh and is dirty but the guy said it worked?
Did you pull fuse #1 for 30+seconds before trying the new MAF?

You've tested the TPS several ways including with the cars own diagnostics which report it's ok.

You've got a tyop there i think and i don't know what a back best is? Where/who did you get the MAF from?

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 20:36   #146
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Did you pull fuse #1 for 30+seconds before trying the new MAF?

You've tested the TPS several ways including with the cars own diagnostics which report it's ok.

You've got a tyop there i think and i don't know what a back best is? Where/who did you get the MAF from?
Sorry been a long day! The 'back mesh' its meant to be.

I didn't at first but I did after trying it once and it didn't make a difference, was out for a couple of mins
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 20:54   #147
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Sorry been a long day! The 'back mesh' its meant to be.

I didn't at first but I did after trying it once and it didn't make a difference, was out for a couple of mins
As long as the mesh hasn't touched the hot wire inside and whatever bouncing around it suffered hasn't broken anything inside, you should be ok.

At the moment, i'd concetrate on the electrical connections to the main underbody pump and making sure it's running. Sometimes if they've stopped through lack of use, as long as they have a decent power supply, a gentle tap with a wooden mallet or lump of wood can jolt them back into life - not always though.

Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 21:08   #148
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
As long as the mesh hasn't touched the hot wire inside and whatever bouncing around it suffered hasn't broken anything inside, you should be ok.

At the moment, i'd concetrate on the electrical connections to the main underbody pump and making sure it's running. Sometimes if they've stopped through lack of use, as long as they have a decent power supply, a gentle tap with a wooden mallet or lump of wood can jolt them back into life - not always though.
No the mesh isn't touching anything inside, Maybe its worth a clean bit some brake cleaner as its a little grubby?

Yea will give it a test tomorrow when I change the filter, I can hear it prime but could the impeller be seized?

having another hunt around the world wide web, someone suggest the PCV valve blocked or not working. I had a blocked one on my other Volvo and didn't cause an issue, could this be something do you think? might whip it off and clean it out though.

Last edited by ANDTWENTY; Sep 23rd, 2019 at 21:36.
Old Sep 23rd, 2019, 22:59   #149
griston64
Premier Member

Quote:
No the mesh isn't touching anything inside, Maybe its worth a clean bit some brake cleaner as its a little grubby?

Yea will give it a test tomorrow when I change the filter, I can hear it prime but could the impeller be seized?

having another hunt around the world wide web, someone suggest the PCV valve blocked or not working. I had a blocked one on my other Volvo and didn't cause an issue, could this be something do you think? might whip it off and clean it out though.
Don't clean it with brake cleaner
griston64 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to griston64 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 24th, 2019, 09:02   #150
ANDTWENTY

Quote:
Originally Posted by griston64 View Post
Don't clean it with brake cleaner
Engine degreaser? panel wipe degreaser? don't have any maf cleaner but could order some