Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members CarsBlogs Help Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

turbo problem?

Views : 2485

Replies : 17

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 08:25   #11
simc
New Member
 

Last Online: May 27th, 2018 07:16
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: rushden
Default

interesting thoughts, guys.

There is now no warning message in the car. It ran through from "low coolant level" to "stop engine", at which point she did.

As for the turbo, i used to hear a whistle as it kicked in. Now all is silent...

Safe- mode interests me (very Volvo). Can the ECU be reset simply or do i need a specialist electrical diagnostic service?
simc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 12:55   #12
milo-rambaldi
Junior Member
 
milo-rambaldi's Avatar
 

Last Online: Apr 14th, 2009 20:50
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: bristol
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simc View Post
interesting thoughts, guys.

There is now no warning message in the car. It ran through from "low coolant level" to "stop engine", at which point she did.

As for the turbo, i used to hear a whistle as it kicked in. Now all is silent...

Safe- mode interests me (very Volvo). Can the ECU be reset simply or do i need a specialist electrical diagnostic service?
im not sure how to reset it on ur car but u could try puling the batery cable of over night that wont hurt as long as u have the radio code it some times workes on older cars
milo-rambaldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 23rd, 2007, 13:38   #13
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield
 
outnumbered's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 19:46
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: wakefield
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simc View Post
Hi all

First post here so grateful for advice. S60 D5 89,000miles broke down with to coolant loss due to perished/split hoses,(wife stopped when warning message came on). Car recovered to local garage who replaced the coolant hose assembly, O-rings etc. The car now runs rough and has no power. There is no turbo "kick" at all. Took it back and they tightened the hose from turbo to air box, which made a small improvement, but car is still only 60% power. They say it is a coincidental failure of "something else" as they only removed coolant hoses and the turbo hose for access.

so....

Could it be something simple (EGR valve/ O2 sensor?)
Could the very temporary loss of coolant have lead to turbo damage?
Has the local grease-monkey got in out of his depth and screwed up?

Please send advice/ ammo for Monday's "where do we go from here?", meeting.

Cheers!
hi
before you spend any more money on anything else get the codes read, either by an indi or at a volvo garage, then go from there, at the moment its all guess work,.
mike
850 tdi p box
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 17:31   #14
simc
New Member
 

Last Online: May 27th, 2018 07:16
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: rushden
Default Here's hoping..

thanks all

I have booked the car into the main dealership (nothing until 9th Oct. and no courtesy car!) and am arranging to have next month's salary paid to them directly.

Will let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks for the reference database.

Cheers
simc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 17:36   #15
GSMGuy
Master Member
 
GSMGuy's Avatar
 

Last Online: Nov 10th, 2016 21:45
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: St Helens Merseyside
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simc View Post
am arranging to have next month's salary paid to them directly.
Painful

Mike
GSMGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24th, 2007, 18:33   #16
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield
 
outnumbered's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 19:46
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: wakefield
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simc View Post
thanks all

I have booked the car into the main dealership (nothing until 9th Oct. and no courtesy car!) and am arranging to have next month's salary paid to them directly.

Will let you know the outcome in a couple of weeks for the reference database.

Cheers
hi
normally for just the dtcs read it wont be too expensive , its what they find and if you want them to repair your car that costs the months wages,
mike
850 tdi
ps imho i would just get the codes read and post on hear then go from there.
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 20:08   #17
simc
New Member
 

Last Online: May 27th, 2018 07:16
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: rushden
Default Problem solved- at a price

Hi all

as promised i can now feed back on the result of the S60's trip to the main dealer. They quickly identified, through diagnostics, a fault with the air mass sensor. This was replaced within a day. They attribute no blame to the local garage who carried out emergency repair work (see thread). It was ,apparently, a coincidental failure. They then relieved me of 465. How does the price sound?

Anyway, it goes like a bat out of hell again.
Cheers
simc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11th, 2007, 20:19   #18
outnumbered
Lunatic from Wakefield
 
outnumbered's Avatar
 

Last Online: Today 19:46
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: wakefield
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by simc View Post
Hi all

as promised i can now feed back on the result of the S60's trip to the main dealer. They quickly identified, through diagnostics, a fault with the air mass sensor. This was replaced within a day. They attribute no blame to the local garage who carried out emergency repair work (see thread). It was ,apparently, a coincidental failure. They then relieved me of 465. How does the price sound?

Anyway, it goes like a bat out of hell again.
Cheers
hi
glad you are now back on the road, if you would have known it was the maf sensor you may have got it cheaper elsewhere but imho you cant beat original.
mike
850 tdi
pbox
outnumbered is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT +1. The time now is 21:27.


Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.