Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > XC90 '02–'15 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

XC90 '02–'15 General Forum for the P2-platform XC90 model

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

LED Tailgate Brake Light Still Alight When Ignition Off

Views : 1337

Replies : 12

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 25th, 2010, 16:28   #1
Arianne
Premier Member

Default LED Tailgate Brake Light Still Alight When Ignition Off

Hi Guys,

My LED tailgate hi-level brake light is stuck on after the ignition is switched off. The other two brake lights all operate normally. The LED only goes out after about 60secs of its own accord.

All of the brake lights work properly when the key is set to ignition and when the car is running. It's when you turn the car off and turn the key back from ignition that the LED lights up on its own.

It's not associated with any other lighting combination. I tried seeing whether it goes out when the interior courtesy lights fade out but there's no link. My car is a manual gearbox.

I took the car to the dealer today. They're a good dealership but they were puzzled and that's not normally good news for my credit card based upon past experience!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Arianne.
Arianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 16:39   #2
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
Hi Guys,

My LED tailgate hi-level brake light is stuck on after the ignition is switched off. The other two brake lights all operate normally. The LED only goes out after about 60secs of its own accord.

All of the brake lights work properly when the key is set to ignition and when the car is running. It's when you turn the car off and turn the key back from ignition that the LED lights up on its own.

It's not associated with any other lighting combination. I tried seeing whether it goes out when the interior courtesy lights fade out but there's no link. My car is a manual gearbox.

I took the car to the dealer today. They're a good dealership but they were puzzled and that's not normally good news for my credit card based upon past experience!

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks, Arianne.
Not sure if it's any use but when this happens on vw golfs it's the brake pedal switch that's faulty and needs changing.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 17:00   #3
Arianne
Premier Member

bobdabuilda

I don't think it's the brake pedal switch because that would surely also affect the other two brake lights. And it would show the same symptom all of the time and not just when the ignition is switched off. Thanks though for taking the time to reply.

Any other thoughts?

Arianne
Old Nov 25th, 2010, 17:32   #4
bobdabuilda
Premier Member

It doesn't on the Golf and displays those exact characteristics, but like I said unlikely to be of any help as they are different cars. Good luck and let us know what is found.
bobdabuilda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 17:46   #5
Arianne
Premier Member

Default Link between alternator & LED Brake Light Issue?

An interesting development......

Alternator failed last weekend, £654 total repair (£404 for alternator, £140 labour & the rest was vat, ouch).

But the LED light problem has gone away. The dealer didn't say that they did anything about the lights. They just replaced the alternator & that's that.

So I wonder whether there was a link between the output from the alternator going wonky (gradually) and some residual current left over after the ignition had been cut? The LEDs might be the most sensitive bit of the lighting system to show the left over charge.

We've lived with the LED problem for quite a while and it's rather odd that they have just returned to normal.

Alternatively, it could simply be that the battery was almost completely flat and needed to be recharged (the alternator gave up completely last weekend and so the battery was drained).

But I thought it was worth posting

Arianne
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 18:23   #6
Miti

Blimey..!! £400+ for an alternator...

£185 inc VAT. I should think a local Indie garage would charge about 1hr labour...

It's only money though, eh..?

Miti
Miti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9th, 2011, 18:44   #7
ex Triumph Man

I had a problem with the high level stop light on my XC90. It was the only stop light working and I thought that both the main bulbs had blown. Unlikely but possible.

Took it to Lloyd Volvo in Carlisle. Traced fault to CEM (Central Electronic Module).

Suggest you get the dealer to check this out.

XC90 SE Lux Premium 11MY Magic Blue
ex Triumph Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 10:19   #8
judgeman

Ditto. Had a similar problem a year ago on my '05 XC. Turned out it was the known fault of water ingress through the bulkhead and running down the wiring loom into the CEM.

Dealership wanted nearly £1100 to repair, but told them what I thought of that as the car was only just over 5 years old, and had numerous other faults (bought through the dealership as a selected used vehicle the year before!). Finally managed to get a Volvo Car UK 'good will' discount, but still cost me £612 + insurance for loan car, and lots of grief.

However, at least all the faults due to the CEM failure (OS headlamp also failed because of this) were resolved and no recurrence (but don't want to tempt fate by saying AOK!).

Defo get CEM checked out.
judgeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 11:13   #9
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianne View Post
An interesting development......

Alternator failed last weekend, £654 total repair (£404 for alternator, £140 labour & the rest was vat, ouch).

But the LED light problem has gone away. The dealer didn't say that they did anything about the lights. They just replaced the alternator & that's that.

So I wonder whether there was a link between the output from the alternator going wonky (gradually) and some residual current left over after the ignition had been cut? The LEDs might be the most sensitive bit of the lighting system to show the left over charge.

We've lived with the LED problem for quite a while and it's rather odd that they have just returned to normal.

Alternatively, it could simply be that the battery was almost completely flat and needed to be recharged (the alternator gave up completely last weekend and so the battery was drained).

But I thought it was worth posting

Arianne
Your 2006 car is prone to getting water in the CEM as described above and the cem also controls the alternator , alternator failure on these cars is very unlikely and almost unheard of .
put two and two together ..
Your dealer should be very aware of this and your car may well have a part payment policy against it and the waterproofing kit . , again your dealer should automaticaly check this when ever you visit them
go back to them see what they can do . you might salvage your CEM if the damage isnt too bad .
Old Dec 10th, 2011, 15:28   #10
Arianne
Premier Member

Default CEM & Waterproofing Kit...

Hi Clan,

I've not heard of the issues with water damage to the CEM or the waterproofing kit. Can you tell me more?

We had the CEM fail about 2yrs ago (circa £700) so should the dealer have improved the waterproof protection for the CEM?

I'm interested because, if they've replaced the alternator as a symptom of a deeper, developing problem with the CEM then I would like to discuss the CEM issue with them asap.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Arianne