Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

960 Radio

Views : 1177

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2018, 10:20   #11
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casheye View Post
What kind of tapes are you listening to that make you seemingly lose control of your faculties? :P
My faculties?!?!?!? I was on about the methane gas produced by landfill decomposing (predominantly waste food) that is harvested and used to power generators to produce a lot of electricity.

Quote:
I get it, I've invested fairly substantially in Hi-Fi and I enjoy the act of picking a record, inspecting it for cleanliness and lowering a needle into the grooves and listening to a pop/crackle free album (because I keep a clean collection) but, I've also used Spotify from near enough it's inception and it provides me with all my old-timey music I like to listen to. In fact, there stuff on music streaming services that you would never hear otherwise, simply because newly found or remastered recordings don't often get issued on tape. I can be listening to a song in my house, get into my 27 year old car, turn the stereo on and continue listening while I drive. Simples. Oh and all completely lead free.

For what the OP is asking for though, THIS is the adapter I think they need. And at under a fiver, it's worth a punt anyway.
It sounds like you've embraced current technology a lot more than i have but that's because i'm not keen on the sound of the modern formats.
When i was 16 i could hear from 18Hz to 22kHZ, granted that these days it's nowhere near that and i'm deaf in one ear (turns out to be hereditary) and have hearing damage in the other from working with heavy machinery most of my working life.
However, even with that, i can still hear a difference in the sound, i'm not even that keen on CDs because of the fact the sound has been companded.

I know that a car isn't the best listening environment but if you start with poor quality then even with the best audio equipment it's still going to be poor. As such i like to start with the best possible sound qulity and hope for the best from there.

Also i don't really want a head unit that looks like it's from the future or even from now in a 30 year old car.

I suppose it comes down to what compromises a particular individual is willing to accept for the sound and appearances they want.

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Laird Scooby is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 10:44   #12
Casheye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laird Scooby View Post
Also i don't really want a head unit that looks like it's from the future or even from now in a 30 year old car.
Now that's a opinion I can get behind. It's bad enough being blinded by cyclists at this time of year without the annoyance of a flashing dashboard. It's a car not a space ship.

unless it's this MKIII supra.

Casheye is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2018, 13:03   #13
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Now that's a opinion I can get behind. It's bad enough being blinded by cyclists at this time of year without the annoyance of a flashing dashboard. It's a car not a space ship.

unless it's this MKIII supra.

I was behind a cyclist the other day that had a red flashing back light. Thing was, half of it flashed sort of once a second, the other half flashed once very 3-4 seconds so i was doubly blinded every 3-4 seconds because the numpty had it set so the angle was straight in my eyes.

I'm all for making sure they are seen (saves loads of cleaning of blood and other bodily fluids from my car, not to mention the dents, highly inconsiderate! ) but a steady red lamp and a simple Hi-Viz vest/coat would be a lot better IMHO and less likely to cause an accident because the driver behind wasn't extinguishing his (or her) retinas!

I definitely subscribe to the "car not a spaceship" idea although with everything lit (even with the factory bulbs) it can give the impression of the USS Enterprise.

The LEDs add to the effect but i find the green (or blue) easier on my eyes at night (red hurts them) than the other normal colours. I do like to be able to find the switches and/or stereo controls easily though so once again we're back to the "C" word - compromise!

Next Door to Top-Gun with a Honda CR-V & S Type Jag Volvo gone but not forgotten........
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:00   #14
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Err -

Well, I'm coming at this differently. I want a modern head unit for my Mk II 1995/6 960 because I want (a) an effective sub (b) bluetooth for my iPhone to play internet radio and so that WAZE comes at me from the car system and (c) DAB. Open to suggestions. Sensible ones.
940 Sport M90 estate, N reg 100k miles, ex Lovejoy.
960 Estate, N reg, 56k miles, blown up and sold.
rogerthechorister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 23rd, 2018, 19:48   #15
Casheye

I've got a Blaupunkt Toronto in my 940 right now and it works great without looking like a cheap plastic piece of nonsense.

Connects seamlessly with BT and spotify will play from where it left off when I turn off and turn on the ignition... So say I'm driving and listening to music, stop the car, start it again and when the phone reconnects (very quickly) it will start playing from where it left off... no need to open spotify and press play each time. I've not had that with any other headunit.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Casheye For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 24th, 2018, 21:56   #16
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Toronto

The Toronto appears to be single DIN size, not double DIN. I'd nee d double DIN
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 10:29   #17
Casheye

Single DIN and a tray?

How much are you looking to spend?
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 11:50   #18
Laird Scooby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerthechorister View Post
Well, I'm coming at this differently. I want a modern head unit for my Mk II 1995/6 960 because I want (a) an effective sub (b) bluetooth for my iPhone to play internet radio and so that WAZE comes at me from the car system and (c) DAB. Open to suggestions. Sensible ones.
Have a look on here :

http://www.in-car-stuff.com/shop/aud...100b8f9ff20e52

Quite a bit of choice there, not sure if it's exactly what you're looking for but something might have the options you're after.

The Following User Says Thank You to Laird Scooby For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 16:44   #19
rogerthechorister
Rogerthechorister

Default Am I doing it wrong?

I can only see 5 things in the Head unit section and only 4 appear to be head units - mostly going on about video formats and screens. Am I doing something wrong?
The Following User Says Thank You to rogerthechorister For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 25th, 2018, 17:04   #20
Casheye

Double din head units with your requirements will mean that unless you want something that looks like it's been salvaged from the first Fast and Furious film, you're going to be buying something with a large LCD display. If that's your chosen route then you're going to be paying some serious sterling if you want something from a quality brand, although ebay will give you plenty of Chinese Export options.

Again... How much do you want to spend...