Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Strange engine...

Views : 529

Replies : 6

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 25th, 2017, 20:49   #1
Streethawk

Default Strange engine...

Well, my 2.5 non-turbo auto has been running ok since its last service about 1k ago which included new sparkplugs, but started running a little rough last week. It got worse this morning and ran rough all through a 5-10 mile run into town with several stops but was only runing a little rough by my return up the hill.
(ATS didn't charge me for fixing a big puncture - kudos to them as ever)
After lunch we delved in to try to see if this is a simple problem and found something that (to us) appears really odd...

To try to determine if any of the cyliders aren't firing, I disconnected the lead to the coil of each cylinder hoping to find one that didn't make it run any worse when disconnected, thus hopefully identifying a potential culprit. 5,4 & 3 all made it run worse, but disconnecting 2 made no difference. Diconnecting 1 made it rougher once more.

We've run through further diagnosis on 2 - the spark plug looks like it's been burning fuel without any obvious mixture or oil issues. We checked for a spark, no problem. Swapped the coil with number 1 made no difference, likwewise swapping plug didn't either.

So I didn't really get anywhere, it's running okayish when warm so i figured I'd try again tomorrow from cold.
HOWEVER, before stopping I tried disconnecting each lead again and found the same rough running without one of 5,4 or 3, no change when disconnecting 2 and now no change either when disconnecting 1!
I must have got it wrong so I double checked and Ms. S watched me to ensure I'm not just being an idiot.
I even disconnected 1 & 2 simultaneously and it makes no difference to its running at all

Is there something about Volvo engines different to anything else so these two cylinders don't need a lead but the others all do?!?
Or have I been running on 3-4 cylinders for aaages in blissful ignorance.
The engine light has gone on and off for years apparently at random without noticeable effect on mpg or performance by the way - it's currently illuminated.

Totally baffled - any pointers anyone please?
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 21:03   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
Well, my 2.5 non-turbo auto has been running ok since its last service about 1k ago which included new sparkplugs, but started running a little rough last week. It got worse this morning and ran rough all through a 5-10 mile run into town with several stops but was only runing a little rough by my return up the hill.
(ATS didn't charge me for fixing a big puncture - kudos to them as ever)
After lunch we delved in to try to see if this is a simple problem and found something that (to us) appears really odd...

To try to determine if any of the cyliders aren't firing, I disconnected the lead to the coil of each cylinder hoping to find one that didn't make it run any worse when disconnected, thus hopefully identifying a potential culprit. 5,4 & 3 all made it run worse, but disconnecting 2 made no difference. Diconnecting 1 made it rougher once more.

We've run through further diagnosis on 2 - the spark plug looks like it's been burning fuel without any obvious mixture or oil issues. We checked for a spark, no problem. Swapped the coil with number 1 made no difference, likwewise swapping plug didn't either.

So I didn't really get anywhere, it's running okayish when warm so i figured I'd try again tomorrow from cold.
HOWEVER, before stopping I tried disconnecting each lead again and found the same rough running without one of 5,4 or 3, no change when disconnecting 2 and now no change either when disconnecting 1!
I must have got it wrong so I double checked and Ms. S watched me to ensure I'm not just being an idiot.
I even disconnected 1 & 2 simultaneously and it makes no difference to its running at all

Is there something about Volvo engines different to anything else so these two cylinders don't need a lead but the others all do?!?
Or have I been running on 3-4 cylinders for aaages in blissful ignorance.
The engine light has gone on and off for years apparently at random without noticeable effect on mpg or performance by the way - it's currently illuminated.

Totally baffled - any pointers anyone please?
why have you been changing so many head gaskets ? It could be blowing between cylinders 1 and 2 .... or an air leak into 1 and or 2 ... or tight valve clearances .
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 21:09   #3
Streethawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
why have you been changing so many head gaskets ? It could be blowing between cylinders 1 and 2 .... or an air leak into 1 and or 2 ... or tight valve clearances .
I had it changed at 86k and again about 115k, probably because the first one was never done at all (i.e. by using additive) or maybe just done badly without a skim.

Do you think this is anything to do with the odditty reported?
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 21:21   #4
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Streethawk View Post
I had it changed at 86k and again about 115k, probably because the first one was never done at all (i.e. by using additive) or maybe just done badly without a skim.

Do you think this is anything to do with the odditty reported?
you had the gasket changed for no reason ? They are not a service item ... what additive do you mean ? Did you have a skim ? And has it ever overheated ? If so blocks can warp as well as heads ..
Old Aug 25th, 2017, 21:24   #5
chelle_belle
and Craig!

Might be worth doing a compression test.

Craig.

855 R
855 T-5
chelle_belle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to chelle_belle For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 01:11   #6
Streethawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by chelle_belle View Post
Might be worth doing a compression test.

Craig.
Spot-on craig, losing compression on 3 cylinders. This one's done for (considering all the electric and suspension work it needs).
Old Jan 17th, 2018, 02:07   #7
Streethawk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
I finally got back to this after 9-months solid of contract work.
Took it to the best local old-school garage and had feedback from the mechanics that compression on the first two cylinders are nil/low and the third slightly low.
Any further investigation & remedy was to see the head lifted so I am going to let this one go under 'uneconomical repair'

Good news is I'm after a v50