Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Turbo a 240 guide?

Views : 1434

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 16th, 2019, 14:18   #1
heckflosse
Premier Member

Default Turbo a 240 guide?

Hi, please forgive me if this has been done before.
Is there a link or comprehensive article out there with a how -to for a redblock turbo into a 240 swap?
I know there are a few such beasties roaming the streets now.
Questions are along the lines; does the intercooler from a 940 fit? Does the slam panel need trimming? Airbox? Oil cooler? Which transmission-can an M47 cope? Axle ratio?
Cam- is the A cam ideal for street driving? Or the T cam , is it a bit flat?
2.5" versus 3"exhaust?Fuel pump?
Then the wiring, apparently LH 2.4 is best, is it possible to swap LH onto an earlier 230ET Motronic engine? Injector resistor pack, is it really needed?Cat?
I'm sure it goes on.
I have found a few Australian links but it is all a bit piecemeal.
Many thanks, Jim
heckflosse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 14:25   #2
Bugjam1999
Master Member

I wrote this a little while back.

Throw out any questions you have and someone will know the answer, it’s a fairly well traveled road now.

Cheers

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=290295
Bugjam1999 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bugjam1999 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 14:41   #3
heckflosse
Premier Member

Thanks for taking the trouble to write that, Ive had a quick read through before work.Plenty of food for thought, no doubt will be asking more questions soon!
Cheers, Jim
The Following User Says Thank You to heckflosse For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 16th, 2019, 22:58   #4
dan 244
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by heckflosse View Post
Thanks for taking the trouble to write that, Ive had a quick read through before work.Plenty of food for thought, no doubt will be asking more questions soon!
Cheers, Jim
Hi Jim I have done this earlier in the year, you are more than welcome to pop over and have a look and a chat.
dan 244 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dan 244 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 26th, 2019, 10:50   #5
230ina245

Hi
There's an american website - Turbobricks - that will have more information than you need.
for example http://www.forums.turbobricks.com/sh...ad.php?t=52466
Are you planning on putting a turbo engine in your car or adding the turbo to your existing engine?
LH2.4 is probably the best stock system to have, an injector pack is only needed depending on what injectors you put in.
I added a turbo to my 2.0ltr 240 (known as a +T) the n/a engine has domed pistons which give a slightly higher compression ratio & a bit more kick.
I would read around the turbobrick website for a bit & get an idea for where you like to go with the engine. Lots of advice too on handling upgrades which you may also need !
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 7th, 2020, 15:25   #6
heckflosse
Premier Member

Ive been offered a running 230ET/M46 in a dead car, which seems feasible. Don't want Motronic as the wiring looks hellish. LH2.4 is my plan.The car its going in is a late seventies 265, minus its rubbish Renault engine(seized solid when I bought it many years back, and been on a carb 2.3 since).I have a LH2.4 loom, and ECUs from a 200FT 940.Its going to be just a nice road car, not some snorting drifter thingy, Im getting too old for that.
Will certainly check out the turbobricks link, thanks.
Jim.
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 08:31   #7
mylittletony
Master Member

Sounds like a great conversion!

I can heartily recommend an Elbert Bos conversion loom, after hours of headache with a stripped out loom it saved me countless more hours.

https://www.elbertbos.nl/index.php/en/

I used one of his for my 1979 245 with 1997 B230fk engine. Best to email him and he will adapt for your car/conversion.

Is the 265 auto? For day-to-day wafting I think they suit the turbo engines better. Just my twopenneth...
mylittletony is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mylittletony For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 15:53   #8
crogthomas
Master Member

Does the intercooler from a 940 fit? Does the slam panel need trimming?
The intercooler for a non-AC 940 (the one with the hoses at the top) will fit with no trimming. It is more or less identical to the genuine 240 turbo part. You will have to make or import brackets to hold it in place.

Airbox?
Won't fit. You will have to be creative (cone filter?)

Oil cooler?
The standard oil/water heat exchanger from a 940 will fit fine.

Which transmission-can an M47 cope?
The M46 or M47 are fine for moderate power outputs (~200bhp).

Axle ratio?
Whatever you wish. The turbo engine will have plenty of torque to push a high gear.

Cam- is the A cam ideal for street driving? Or the T cam , is it a bit flat?
Both are perfectly fine for road use. The A cam was used in the 740 turbo and has a bit more top end.

2.5" versus 3"exhaust?
2.5" is fine. You can use a modified 940 downpipe and make/buy the rest.

Fuel pump? A standard 4 cylinder LH or Jetronic fuel pump is fine for moderate power output. I don't know what the V6 would have used originally though.

Then the wiring, apparently LH 2.4 is best, is it possible to swap LH onto an earlier 230ET Motronic engine?
Yes. All the threaded holes are there. Some of the sensors are different, so you will need to obtain the correct parts for a LH system.

Injector resistor pack, is it really needed?
No. you can use different injectors which suit the engine and wiring loom and not have to make any changes to the wiring.

Cat?
You don't need a Cat on a pre 1991 car, so that will simplify the exhaust. The LH system won't care if you have one fitted or not.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 08:26   #9
crogthomas
Master Member

Ahh, just re-read your post. You mention a B230ET/M46 which presumably means it's coming out of a 740 of about 1989?

In that case:

The intercooler is probably the right one.
The oil cooler is probably a air/oil one. The pipework might not fit past the 240 engine mounts. Need to check.
The cam will be a A cam.
The M46 gearbox with overdrive(?) will not fit the 240 directly as the gear change is in a different position.
The downpipe won't have the hole for Lambda sensor, so one will need to be welded in. Preferably in a different position to the standard 940 as it is a pain in the scruttocks.
crogthomas is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to crogthomas For This Useful Post: