Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Xc70 Transmission Problem

Views : 5753

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 14:32   #1
willssnr
Willssnr

Angry Xc70 Transmission Problem

I have had 'Severe' Clunking from transmission while driving in Town Traffic. Start Stop etc. Motorway no problem.
Proble has now developed to dashboard message 'Transmission Service Required' Also red triangle warning in dashboard.
Is the Gearbox completely gone? and do I require a completly new box.
willssnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3rd, 2010, 16:11   #2
scooter79

there seems to be alot of this going around have a look at this site to try out a few checks http://www.freewebs.com/howardsvolvos/driveline.htm
scooter79 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to scooter79 For This Useful Post:
Old Oct 16th, 2010, 10:31   #3
iceni1

Hi
I had this problem some time before the gear box failed on my XC70 but did cure it for some time by getting a gearbox update downloaded onto the computer. Obviously you need to check the gearbox oil too, however one of the things I discovered after having it done , you can't completely drain the gearbox when changing the oil, so I guess some rubbish stays in it.

I agree there are some good American or Canadian forums on the subject.
iceni1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 23:00   #4
tori
XC70 owner

Unhappy XC70 gearbox

Hi, I was wondering if you got any further with this? My XC70's had the same warning for nearly 3 months. I've kept use to a minimum since but funds are tight so have only just been able to do something about it.

The symptoms so far haven't got any worse. She doesn't like changing gear at lower speeds, in fact sometimes I have to ease off the gas a little to encourage a change. She tries to pull forward when stationary (ie at lights) with foot on brake in Drive. Around 30mph the gearbox seems to struggle to get the right gear - it will suddenly drop to a lower gear, the revs go high and then the car lurches violently as it changes up again. If I feel it's about to do it I can lessen the effect by braking or easing off - anything to reduce my speed. This only seems to happen when Cruise Control is engaged.

Also she idles at about 800rpm, my Dad's driven autos for 40 years as he's disabled and feels this may be part of the problem. She does not creep forward at all when in Drive, stationary with no foot on the pedals.

The last thing is when steering to right (ie round roundabouts) there is a sort of metal grating noise. She's pulled slightly to left when braking fairly sharply for slightly longer than she's had gearbox trouble so the noise may be a sticking brake rather than.

None of this sounds like the most caring owner I know but money's just not been available to have anything done. I've been nursing her a lot! I only bought her in August and within 2 months the trouble started. After 6 months I'm totally smitten with my Volvo but really need to get her sorted.
tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2011, 15:38   #5
tori
XC70 owner

Lightbulb hopeful solution

Just thought I'd add to the above. My XC70 went into a much trusted indy yesterday and they've found a few fairly simple mechanical problems which have combined to cause the transmission problems and the brake problems.

They've diagnosed faulty drive-shaft joint clip and faulty cv boots which together are fouling up my ABS and causing the transmission warning and gearbox symptoms, both steering arms are badly worn also.

They've quoted £456 all in to fix the lot which I hope is good. I will be very happy to have The Beast back and hopefully finally working well again

So the problems described at the start of the thread may not be coming from within the gearbox, but like mine from where the gearbox's output meets the wheels. I'm guessing these are all things that anyone handier with a spanner would be able to repair themselves...
tori is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tori For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 2nd, 2019, 20:04   #6
mrsteve
mrsteve

Default XC70 Gearbox Message

I recently had 'Transmission Service Required' on the dash.
Fully draining the oil, filling with Volvo, yes Volvo, Transmission oil and after a couple of starts, the message cleared.
Have checked the levels after a few hundred miles. All is fine except for a couple of jerky starts at low speed, or on hill starts. It may be a solenoid getting tired, but doesn't happen all the time.
If anyone has any ideas let me know.
Looking on ebay today, I found a gearbox. It had a Volvo plate, but it was made in Japan. A bit of a surprise.
mrsteve is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
replacement gearbox, transmission noise