Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

700/900 Series General Forum for the Volvo 740, 760, 780, 940, 960 & S/V90 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Should I be worried?

Views : 1824

Replies : 30

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Jul 4th, 2018, 21:48   #1
capt jack
VOC Member

Default Should I be worried?

I've done around 4,000 miles in my "new" S90 now, and it really does feel as though it's here to stay....but one thing is starting to niggle me a bit.

If the engine has been stood for more than a couple of hours, on starting up the oil light is the last one to go out - perhaps one second after all the others. At the same time there's a definite light rattle from the top of the engine which as with the light, lasts for no more than a second.

Start the engine within an hour of the last switch-off and the oil light goes off immediately.

I've only noticed this phenomenon within the past few weeks, although it is perfectly possible that it's been like it all along but that I've just never noticed.

The car has done 92,000 miles and has a full Volvo service history. The oil and filter was last changed about ten days ago, before that at about 84,000 miles.

The engines ticks over smoothly and quietly, and in the time I've had the car, there's been no drop in the oil level - it's stayed comfortably close to the upper mark on the dipstick.

I'm aware that the car has hydraulic tappets, and the hand book does say to expect a little rattle from the top of the engine at first start-up, that could last for up to 15 minutes! It also says that it would be normal for the oil light to come on whilst the engine is idling after what's described as "hard driving". I don't thrash the car, and it rarely gets to exceed 3500rpm as there is absolutely no need. It's a hugely powerful engine and easily keeps pace with the traffic without ever having to try hard. The oil light has never come on whilst the engine is running. The toughest drive it's had in my ownership was a straight drive from Guildford to Yorkshire, 5 hours without a break, including a considerable period sat idling on the M25 car park, and all on one of the hottest days of the year.

I guess that a laggardly light could be as simple as a tired pressure switch, it could all be normal for this engine, or it could be that there's a problem brewing.

So, should I be concerned? Or am I worrying without good reason?

Thanks in advance

Jack

Perhaps I should add, it's the 2.9 litre 6-cylinder 24v 204bhp engine, with an automatic gearbox.

Last edited by capt jack; Jul 4th, 2018 at 21:58.
capt jack is offline   Reply With Quote