Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 140/164 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

140/164 Series General Forum for the Volvo 140 and 164 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Period sound systems

Views : 939

Replies : 2

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 22:13   #1
woolfie1948

Default Period sound systems

Can someone please advise me of what sort of radio would have been fitted into my late 1972 registered, but 1973 model, 164 when new?
It has a spindle mounted radio cassette in at the moment that I would guess is 1980's so it's the worst of both worlds terrible sound and looks out of period. When were these things first fitted to cars?
I am thinking of hiding a modern sterio (prob. in the glove box) and having a non working correct period radio in the dash just for appearance. Would the car be too early for a push button radio with FM buttons, or would it only have had medium and long wave?
woolfie1948 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2nd, 2014, 22:34   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by woolfie1948 View Post
Can someone please advise me of what sort of radio would have been fitted into my late 1972 registered, but 1973 model, 164 when new?
It has a spindle mounted radio cassette in at the moment that I would guess is 1980's so it's the worst of both worlds terrible sound and looks out of period. When were these things first fitted to cars?
I am thinking of hiding a modern sterio (prob. in the glove box) and having a non working correct period radio in the dash just for appearance. Would the car be too early for a push button radio with FM buttons, or would it only have had medium and long wave?
In your cars era , Volvo had am/fm stereo radios / cassette radios , also 8 track cartridge machines and the infamous MTS unit with push buttons everywhere . A kind of Manual RDS system .. RDS was developed in sweden and volvo were first to use it .

Pioneer do some single DIN radios with DAB which look retro , you may have to look on e-bay .
Old Jan 6th, 2014, 01:22   #3
guitarman

There were radios and 8-tracks fitted. I have the correct 8 track which I'm planning on fitting to my 164, alas they don't crop up often. I'm not sure they had multiple speakers until the 164TE which had door speakers and speakers on the parcel shelf. I also have a very early 240 series 8 track with matching door speakers; this is '75-78ish so it wouldnt jar too much and the radio is surprisingly good. The correct model is very plain with some chrome piping, P1800s used them, then they went to a rounded look with 'Volvo Stereo' in hippy font.
2012 VW Transporter T5 LWB
guitarman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to guitarman For This Useful Post: