Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

ECU packed up on my 850 T5

Views : 572

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 10th, 2023, 19:56   #1
Djstaffy

Default ECU packed up on my 850 T5

Looks like my ECU has packed up on my N plate
850T5 estate....mechanic plugged into it today & said it's not sending signals out to most of sensors...it's done 250,000 miles.....is there a simple fix..can I get a new ECU.... been a great motor...still pulls well...or is it gonna cost too much
Any suggestions welcome
Thanks
Danny
Djstaffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10th, 2023, 21:50   #2
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Hmm, what did he "plug" into it? Does he know it's not OBDII compliant, and therefore a normal OBDII scanner won't work? Or was he using the correct Volvo diagnostics? If it has the diagnostic plug in the centre console, don't be fooled by the fact that it may say "OBD" on it.....

Extremely rare for ECUs to go faulty on these cars.
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 00:13   #3
buick boy

Default Worth a try !

Had the same problem on my old 850 t5 . The ecu is located on the side of the engine bay in an air cooled box . I found that I had water ingress which affected the connections on the multi-plug that it slots into . A bit of cleaning of the terminals and pushing in and out a few times and away she went . Worth a try before you start spending money .
buick boy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to buick boy For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 09:07   #4
Djstaffy

thanks for the replies.. all i know from the mechanic is that he couldnt get full access to the ecu but it was showing that not sending signals to main engine sensors? i'll pull the ecu out and clean & dry it too you never know!!
thanks
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 11:09   #5
Luxobarge
Premier Member

By all means pull it, dry it and re-seat it, but I've a very strong suspicion that the ECU isn't the problem - your mechanic's description doesn't make sense either, it's the sensors that send a signal to the ECU, not the ECU sending signals to the sensors for a start. What did he observe on his scanner that led him to that conclusion? I doubt if he learned anything of value if he couldn't connect to the ECU, so I can't see how he came to the conclusion he did.

Can you confirm the year of your car? Others on here that know more about the 850s than me will be able to tell you how to read the codes on your model, but it almost certainly won't be by using a normal OBDII scanner.

Also, assuming that I'm right and there's nothing wrong with the ECU, can you tell us what symptoms you have with the car? Does it run at all? Does it run badly, and if so in what way? Is the Engine Management Light on when running? We may be able to help you with the real cause of the problem if you can give us a lot more information, although you still might have to find a way of reading the codes.

Cheers!
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 13:44   #6
Djstaffy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
By all means pull it, dry it and re-seat it, but I've a very strong suspicion that the ECU isn't the problem - your mechanic's description doesn't make sense either, it's the sensors that send a signal to the ECU, not the ECU sending signals to the sensors for a start. What did he observe on his scanner that led him to that conclusion? I doubt if he learned anything of value if he couldn't connect to the ECU, so I can't see how he came to the conclusion he did.

Can you confirm the year of your car? Others on here that know more about the 850s than me will be able to tell you how to read the codes on your model, but it almost certainly won't be by using a normal OBDII scanner.

Also, assuming that I'm right and there's nothing wrong with the ECU, can you tell us what symptoms you have with the car? Does it run at all? Does it run badly, and if so in what way? Is the Engine Management Light on when running? We may be able to help you with the real cause of the problem if you can give us a lot more information, although you still might have to find a way of reading the codes.

Cheers!
hi thanks for the reply
its a 96 N plate T5
regarding what the mechanic told me i dont understand really all this modern terminology (my daily car is an amazon which i can understand..) ...something about voltage dropping out to various sensors .. theres no engine management light coming on dash...but the arrow icon appears flashing (its an auto)
the car will occasionally start (after about 20 attempts) then wont start again if you switch it off...it may then start but wont rev up, then wont start again & more attempts may start but runs rough....& so on
thanks
Danny
Old Aug 11th, 2023, 16:42   #7
s1monc

A second hand 4.3 ECU for an auto won’t be much secondhand, lots of people have upgraded to 4.4 so should be easy to source a 4.3 for an auto.
s1monc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 12th, 2023, 11:38   #8
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djstaffy View Post
Looks like my ECU has packed up on my N plate
850T5 estate....mechanic plugged into it today & said it's not sending signals out to most of sensors...it's done 250,000 miles.....is there a simple fix..can I get a new ECU.... been a great motor...still pulls well...or is it gonna cost too much
Any suggestions welcome
Thanks
Danny
nothing will come out if it has no power ,also are there any inputs working ?
find someone who knows what they are doing ... condemning an ECU is the VERY last thing after PROVING it is faulty.
Old Aug 14th, 2023, 16:34   #9
cyclogenesis

You might also want to check your earth strap. I had a similar issues some years ago with starting problems and then the main stealer stated the ECUs were dead. After some deduction from my layman self, I asked them to check the battery circuit and there was a rotten earth strap that was causing intermittent starting and then failed completely. No power, no ECU data!
cyclogenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cyclogenesis For This Useful Post: