Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Fitting gaskets.

Views : 921

Replies : 10

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 10th, 2019, 14:46   #1
arcturus
arcturus

Default Fitting gaskets.

Have a myriad of gaskets in the rebuild kit. Paper gaskets, are they best fitted dry or with a smear of gasket cement. Cork,I believe that they should be soaked in water overnight before fitting. Is that correct?
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 08:27   #2
simon roberts

Should not be hard to find a cork expert in Portugal.....
simon roberts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 13:47   #3
Derek UK
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by simon roberts View Post
Should not be hard to find a cork expert in Portugal.....
life's too short to drink bad wine
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 19:55   #4
arcturus
arcturus

And I have a good supply of Vino de Alentejo And Vinho do Porto 10yr Tawny. Yum yum!!
Old Dec 14th, 2019, 22:36   #5
blueosprey90
Master Member

On my MGA engines, I use a contact cement on the cork gasket for the valve cover. Valve cover side only. Because gasket is a bit deformed, I'll hold it in place with some clothes line pins overnight until the contact adhesive sets up. The method works extremely well.

There is another cork gasket at the one and three main caps that I just place with no adhesive.

On paper gaskets, say behind front and rear plates, I apply a very thin layer of 3M Form a Gasket, non hardening, onto the gasket. One side only, usually engine side.

For things inside the engine, say the MGA oil pump, I don't use anything.

Not sure what type of oil pan gasket the B16 has, but if cork or paper, I would most likely seal only the pan side.

Last edited by blueosprey90; Dec 14th, 2019 at 23:18.
blueosprey90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 08:28   #6
omc 47
VOC Member

Wellseal is my favourite and does not dry hard, usually use it on rocker tops or sump gaskets one side only.
Old engineers just used a smear of grease to hold paper ones in place, this of course is all very well as long as the surface is flat,completely clean with no scratches or erosion but if in any doubt then a thin smear of Wellseal is all l've ever used.
Water pipe "O" rings can also benefit from a smear but to be honest cleanliness is more important than anything and correct tightening of mating surfaces is also obligatory.
While on this subject modern silicone gasket type sealants (like Hylomar) when the mating surfaces are pressed together the silicone can squeeze out and if that constricts galleries either oil or water due to residue braking away then it's not good for a healthy engine rebuild and you can't see it floating round in your engine........not that you intend to use silicone at any point.
......................good luck.

Last edited by omc 47; Dec 15th, 2019 at 08:53.
omc 47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 11:30   #7
Bob Meadows
Premier Member

https://www.tiflex.co.uk/nebar/nebar.html
Nebar Gasket Materials: ~ Ideal for cam covers & other applications- can be purchased in small sheet form (various thicknesses) from ebay or a descent engineering supplier.
Bob.
Bob Meadows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 14:11   #8
dingov70
Master Member

Afternoon Arturus , There is little point is wetting a cork gasket as the engine heat will dry it out , in 40 + years I have never done so . My wildest venture was a smear of grease on one mating face to act as an " adhesive " .

Many people grease paper gaskets as it does make dis-assembly easier when the gasket peels off rather than sticking , BUT make sure the mating faces are true , mark free & tightened down correctly .

I used to use blue hylomar , a non setting sealant developed for use by Rolls Royce Aero engines & still used by them today . Good enough for them , it's OK for me then
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 14:24   #9
arcturus
arcturus

I think that the idea of soaking cork gaskets was to soften them as they could have dried out and become brittle. the soaking softened them up and they become a bit more pliable, so an old mechanic told me.
Old Dec 15th, 2019, 15:53   #10
dingov70
Master Member

Well we live & learn , the day we don't some bugger screws the lid on tight .

I can see the validity of the old guy's reasoning . Going to find a cork gasket now , just to experiment