Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General

Notices

S60 & V60 '18> / XC60 '17> / S90 & V90 '16> / XC90 '15> General Forum for the SPA-platform 60- and 90-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Volvo still top on safety

Views : 2826

Replies : 34

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 6th, 2019, 09:37   #21
Automatic Only

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaby View Post
That's exactly why I feel that Volvo is (still) ahead of the competition.
EURONCAP evaluates the standard safety features, not just the available ones.
That's the reason the XC90 got 94% on safety assist in the EURONCAP test
while the new Q7 only got 72%.
Yes that is true but I think the size of the gap is more to do with the change in test procedure - for example the XC60 got 95% for safety assist in 2017 but the XC40 only 72% in 2018. The standard safety assist features for both vehicles are almost, if not exactly identical.
Automatic Only is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 11:20   #22
gaby
Premier Member

I'll have to look into that, I don't know what the changes are.
Old Dec 6th, 2019, 23:03   #23
Dibble
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
thanks , i don't often get compliments ! Merry Christmas 🎅
And a Merry Christmas to you.
Dibble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 08:44   #24
jonnyu

It's true that Volvo still leads in safety tests, however the gap is not as big as it was during the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s.
The competition is really close and Volvo now is trying to set itself apart in other areas like reducing the carbon footprint and being the first car brand to have fully autonomous driving by 2021 (level 4 autonomous driving).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfuDOkW12nE
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 10:33   #25
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnyu View Post
It's true that Volvo still leads in safety tests, however the gap is not as big as it was during the 70s, 80s, 90s, and 2000s.
The competition is really close and Volvo now is trying to set itself apart in other areas like reducing the carbon footprint and being the first car brand to have fully autonomous driving by 2021 (level 4 autonomous driving).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bfuDOkW12nE
That is due to legislation , however there is legislation and there is the volvo way ......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lS-oDTRAvGI

That wouldn't happen with the current models , with the lane assist and run off road protection ...
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 16:36   #26
oscillator

I have some practical experience regarding the rear end strength of the current XC60. I came to a standstill in a queue of traffic exiting J4 of the M4 and the person behind me didn't - hit me on the O/S rear doing 40-50mph in a Corsa (which was totalled). I watched all this happening in my rear view mirror until impact when all sorts of weird things happened with both my seat and seatbelt. Anyway the main thing is no one was badly injured in either car.
I was amazed at how little damage there appeared to my car, however appearances were deceptive as it took 3 months to repair (£18k+ at Volvo approved repairers) as a lot of structural parts were replaced - no question of them being re-aligned in a jig or similar. Repairer said Volvo rebuild tolerances were tighter than any other manufacturer, which anyone needs to bear in mind if they are thinking of using a non-Volvo approved repairer.
Incidentally the OnCall distress button worked well, they called Emergency Services and tow truck and generally organised stuff whilst I was (unbeknownst to me) in shock.
The same cannot be said for Volvo's claims management company, Kinderton's, who I used. They were terrible.

- XC60 T5 Inscription MY2019 mussel blue/blonde Xenium keyless Polestar
oscillator is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oscillator For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 16:51   #27
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post
I have some practical experience regarding the rear end strength of the current XC60. I came to a standstill in a queue of traffic exiting J4 of the M4 and the person behind me didn't - hit me on the O/S rear doing 40-50mph in a Corsa (which was totalled). I watched all this happening in my rear view mirror until impact when all sorts of weird things happened with both my seat and seatbelt. Anyway the main thing is no one was badly injured in either car.
I was amazed at how little damage there appeared to my car, however appearances were deceptive as it took 3 months to repair (£18k+ at Volvo approved repairers) as a lot of structural parts were replaced - no question of them being re-aligned in a jig or similar. Repairer said Volvo rebuild tolerances were tighter than any other manufacturer, which anyone needs to bear in mind if they are thinking of using a non-Volvo approved repairer.
Incidentally the OnCall distress button worked well, they called Emergency Services and tow truck and generally organised stuff whilst I was (unbeknownst to me) in shock.
The same cannot be said for Volvo's claims management company, Kinderton's, who I used. They were terrible.

Volvo pioneered Robot laser / bronze welding some years ago ,Mainly at the rear around the tailgate aperture I'm not sure if the rest have caught up yet ..
Old Dec 10th, 2019, 18:10   #28
Crockers
Premier Member

Thanks guys. I was moaning about “boring” earlier but there’s nothing boring about safety. You brought me back to earth.
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 14:56   #29
VOLVOL0VER
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscillator View Post

Can you please describe those things?
Old Dec 11th, 2019, 17:19   #30
gaby
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Automatic Only View Post
Yes that is true but I think the size of the gap is more to do with the change in test procedure - for example the XC60 got 95% for safety assist in 2017 but the XC40 only 72% in 2018. The standard safety assist features for both vehicles are almost, if not exactly identical.
I asked EURO NCAP:
"Dear Madam or Sir,
In 2015, the XC90 earned a 94% score for Safety Assist while the XC40 earned only 76% in 2018.
Please let me know if this is because the test protocols have changed between 2015 and 2018
or is the result of a significant difference in the same tests."

This is the answer I received today:
"Thank you for your interest in Euro NCAP.
In 2015 and 2018 the thresholds for obtaining 5 stars were different because of the changes in protocols
that were implemented in 2016 and 2018.
As the testing criteria becaume tougher, there was a big jump in requirements (AEB pedestrian was introduced,
more scenarios for AEB city and Interurban), we wanted to avoid that vehicles were not suddenly 2 or 3 stars.
In 2015 a vehicle had to obtain a minimum score of 70% for safety assist, in 2017 this was 50%"