Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 400 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

400 Series General Forum for the Volvo 440, 460 and 480 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What are the top 10 problems with the 440/460 models?

Views : 8832

Replies : 57

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 19:18   #11
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
Small correction regarding the OBC - this was fitted to post face lift 440 and 460 CD`s, but only with the 2 litre engine
Thanx, didn't even know that there was a CD version! It was never on the dutch modellist. Do you know where CD stands for?

Last edited by B20F; Nov 3rd, 2010 at 19:27.
B20F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 21:39   #12
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

[QUOTE=B20F;770768]

I think CD stands for Corps Diplomatique or Diplomatic Corps.

Usually in London that means 'I am a foreigner in your country but can park wherever I like without being given a parking ticket'!

Vauxhall also used CD as a model designation.
The Following User Says Thank You to CharlesStevenson For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2010, 15:55   #13
Adi2727
Flying Transylvanian

For my diesel 440, a big problem were the front suspension bushes. True that i used aftermarket parts but still... it was hard to reach 15-20k miles without problems.
Don't know if anybody else experienced this problem... maybe i drive too fast on bad roads.
Now, i made myself PU bushes and for the moment, everything is ok.
Adi2727 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Adi2727 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 30th, 2010, 18:17   #14
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Thanks for the post jimcari, I guess that based upon your location, California, the top problem we see in the UK, that of rusted rear wheel arches, doesn't come up too often.

BTW, how come you know about the 440/460's? I thought they didn't sell into the US? Did you own one somewhere else or did you have a special import?

Rgds
Old Dec 8th, 2010, 23:06   #15
ahal
Master Member

Thumbs up

Hello there,

The original list is certainly comprehensive. A couple of other little oddities come to mind. It would appear that a strange misalignment between the nearside sill and front wing where they meet is a 'standard feature', at least it is on all 3 that I own!

I recently found out the hard way that the mount for the rear exhaust box rubber is quite a flimsy affair, welded to the chassis. Mine rusted out where it meets the chassis, and it was a real pig of a job to fix. According to my exhaust man, it's common on a lot of cars, but probably worth checking.

With the back seat(s) dropped forward the 440 has some serious carrying capacity. My personal record is 17 large bags of rubbish and a fridge!

I've never had a phase II 440 where the back lights have worked properly. They're not as bad as VW's (where a functioning nearside tail light is an extra cost option?!) but they're ropey nonetheless. My fuel guage has never worked since the day I bought my daily runner in 2001.

Renault engine in same (1.8) is fantastic. Up to nearly 160k. at this stage, more than half of it under my ownership. An agricultural drive, old fashioned bucket seat Cortina feel, a bit of distant Citroen Dyane relative on hard cornering, but the damned things are unbreakable! I'll never own another car as good as the one I drive

Based on my experiences with the regular car mentioned, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them. I have 3 series II 440's and a series 1 460GLE ... never a major problem with any of them, only alternators and cables.

Regards,

Tony.
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 22:06   #16
ericgardener9

Default volvo 440 problems

I'd say the biggest problem the volvo 440 actually had was simply being built in the first place.

It's ok, in reality it is no different to a renault or a citreon it has no redeeming features, in fact in parts it's **** poor.

Alot of advertising in the 80's made us believe otherwise - as indeed it is designed to do.

Compared to a japanese car it is literally 10 years behind, I only imagine they sell them as the 440 kind of borrows from the decentness of the 740 which wasn't too bad.
ericgardener9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 15th, 2010, 22:48   #17
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

I don't see why you need to be rude or bad mannered - I asked a valid question and your facetious answer smacks of someone who is just ill-mannered, ignorant or just plain stupid, or a troll.

If you don't like the car, why bother posting on here.

I was interested in garning constructive comments not vitriolic diatribe.

If you have nothing better to do, then don't waste your time on here.
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 09:00   #18
B20F
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericgardener9 View Post
I'd say the biggest problem the volvo 440 actually had was simply being built in the first place.

It's ok, in reality it is no different to a renault or a citreon it has no redeeming features, in fact in parts it's **** poor.

Alot of advertising in the 80's made us believe otherwise - as indeed it is designed to do.

Compared to a japanese car it is literally 10 years behind, I only imagine they sell them as the 440 kind of borrows from the decentness of the 740 which wasn't too bad.
Really a nice and constructive message to introduce oneself to this board. Sounds pretty frustrated!
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 10:21   #19
GTMaster

Default My opinion

The chassis i think was certainly ahead of its time back then regarding safety and rust prevention (apart from the rear wheel arches). They used galvanised steel and layers of substances to reduce the chance of rust (zinc etc.) Even though it only had a driver's side airbag i still regard it as a safe car.
You can say that the engine was outdated but i think that was all they could bring out of that powerplant, the changes done to it are amazing though (e.g. inlet manifold, cylinder head, engine mounts) not to mention the turbo version.
Many call it a boring looking car but it's their opinion.
GTMaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16th, 2010, 14:22   #20
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Default rust wheel arch galvanised zinc

GTMaster, you make an interesting point, so let's ask - why do the rear wheel arches rust?

Since the same galvanised metal was used throughout, why is that most/the worst rust occurs around the wheel arches?

Even if there's a lot of wet mud thrown up into the wheelarches, that's what happens to my 740 and it's not rusting whatsoever.

Most rust I've seen had commenced from within the wheelarch, rather than untreated parking damage or scratches etc.

I know that some other cars have had problems with joins that haven't been properly treated or where corrosion has been caused by materials touching or even materials absorbing water (especially in a Japanese car such as the Toyota MR2, for example) but I don't know why it occurs on the 4xx range.

Any USEFUL comments anyone?