Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General > 850/x70 S1 Wants
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

850 cambelt refit

Views : 1538

Replies : 20

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 2nd, 2016, 22:23   #11
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Clan
That is precisely the technique I have tried which I think is best illustrated by Robert Spinner, however I cannot clear the projection at 6 o'clock and as I have said previously I am fairly confident this is my problem - well one of many !

If it helps even with the belt under full tension and properly routed it only covers half of one of the exhaust cams so if the prob is what I think it is the belt is way off where it needs to be.

An alternative explanation is that having replaced all the pulleys and tensioner something is fitted incorrectly - but I can't see you can fit anything incorrectly !

The legend of Suffolk owise known as PNut has kindly offered to help me again in the morning so hopefully between us we can work if out.

Thanx for your help
Bigfella666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 09:30   #12
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Clan
It is a gorgeous morning in sunny Suffolk so I have been out this morning. It is defo the 6 o'clock projection which is stumping me. My guess is that I have to get the belt as flat as possible on the inside face of the aux pulley to get it to slide in or have it got this wrong ? I have at least mastered the task at 3 and 9 o'clock but it ain't much use as you know.

Thanx for the advice on the pop rivet stem. A couple of years ago my Mrs told me to chuck several dozen of the away having used the heads as an end fitting for a fibre optic project in the garden, so you know the moral of the story !!

Getting up early has also allowed me to properly investigate the misfiring on idle / low speed - the last plug chamber had 5 MM of water in there - I suspect smoother running will now ensue !!
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 13:02   #13
PNuT
MaDMaN

so the problem was the rubber washer on the oil pump http://www.swedishautoparts.com/cati...?mt=1349113144 had dislodged itself & was sitting right up against the crankshaft pulley so the cambelt would not pass....
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 13:04   #14
PNuT
MaDMaN

it appears the laptop running xp is also now done but will test it when Mrs PNuT returns as my wiring has been somewhat doctored! so won't communicate with my car.....
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 14:00   #15
Clan
Experienced Member

so all is well that ends well :-) The belt just needs a twist in that area and it slides in usually . A fresh day is the key .. It always seems less of a problem in a new day .....
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 17:29   #16
PNuT
MaDMaN

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by PNuT View Post
it appears the laptop running xp is also now done but will test it when Mrs PNuT returns as my wiring has been somewhat doctored! so won't communicate with my car.....
communicated with Mrs PNuT's car fine....
Old Jan 3rd, 2016, 17:48   #17
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Clan
I have to respectfully disagree !

This had nothing to do with a new day. As you will appreciate my diagnosis of the problem was spot on but the treatment required to ensure a full recovery sadly lacking. PNut has a real engineering brain on him : if was only after some time that he was able to see what was preventing the belt from loading on the cam. So far as I am concerned the man is a legend in his own right and his aptitude resolved an issue nobody else on the forum could work out. I take my hat off to him, especially as we then resolved the haudraulic tensioner issue ( comrades do not use a 2.5 MM drill bit ax I did - take Clans advice and then it won't bend and jam itself resulting in one having to de tension the belt, remove tensioner, clamp up, replace), slipped the belt on, checked the timing, removed the cam holder, turned the key - a sweeter sound you will not hear !

P a world of thanks yet again, glad I made the decision to shut up shop as if continued hissing down until we left for London late afternoon. Please let me know how much you want for the laptop and I will try and sort with you next weekend. It is a busy one : I owe my bro a day on the chainsaw for not turning up Sat, owe my lad a days pike fishing and still have coolant flush, refill, serp belt, brake lines to do etc etc. It never ends !
Old Jan 8th, 2016, 07:08   #18
Bigfella666
Premier Member

PNut
You ain't gonna believe this ! Spent some time last night looking for 2 Christmas preZzies bought in November, did not find them but did find an old toshiba tecra in a stunning leather case running yep you guessed it Windows XP. It has charged up fine, has a disc drive but not yet managed to hook up to the Internet.

I do not want to appear to be messing you around as you agreed to help with a laptop loaded with VCR but please let me know the score on the door. There is every possibility given this find that I have Xp discs in the loft unless disposed of in a clear out
Old Jan 9th, 2016, 11:22   #19
PNuT
MaDMaN

Its here if you want it, if not it doesn't matter

just needs the usb obd2 cable like this http://www.banggood.com/USB-Interfac...FrMaAj1n8P8HAQ

& the full software download & its done....
Old Jan 11th, 2016, 19:26   #20
Bigfella666
Premier Member

Cool

P
Thanx for being understanding - me Julie us trying to get the ol girl connected to the wi fi here - I would not know where to start ! I already have 2 obd leads - Richard Bourne on the forum was kind enough to lend me one and I think I then bought the same one you have sent a link to.

If Caroline cannot get the ol beast linked up I shall come knocking on your door owise next step will be contacting Derek at Ilesa as my understanding is VOL FCR is download only - shame cos the Tecra has both a floppy and disc drive.

Spoke to Barry at Lakes today and in his combined 70 year experience he had never heard of the oil pump cover grommet blocking the cambelt travel either !!

On the up side, despite yet more aggro finally got the baby back together, put on Serp belt, oil change ( many thanks to the garage in Bury who tore the sump nut and tightened it so much I had to get the 3/4 inch drive on it to get the damn think undone ) coolant flush and replace etc etc. Went pike fishing ( blanked ) BUT later cruised down the M11 in style !

Thanx again for all your help and if I can return the favour you know where I am

Paul
The Following User Says Thank You to Bigfella666 For This Useful Post: