Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

'67 122s Oil Leak

Views : 914

Replies : 7

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 11th, 2016, 04:02   #1
Humzah Ahmad

Default '67 122s Oil Leak

Hi guys

So I've had a persisting problem since I've bought this car and it is an oil leak.

I've taken it to the mechanic and it is the seal that has worn out.

I've already bought the new part but here's the problem, my mechanic told me the one I got straight from Volvo will not work so I need to get a rear crank conversion kit.

Any ideas on what I should do? Really want to get this fixed before I move to cosmetic issues.
Humzah Ahmad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 12:41   #2
Derek UK
VOC Member

The Volvo crank conversion kit comes with a seal. The housing looks similar but is machined for the silicone rubber lip seal. Although it's fairly normal to move from the felt seal to the lip seal it can end up that you don't get rid of the oil leak. There are various factors in play here. The seal housing and the seal have to be set up just right. The bearing surface for the seal can be damaged enough for the lip not to work properly. IMO there is nothing wrong with the felt seal and it probably has a better chance of sealing things up again. The old one does gradually get contaminated by dirty oil and carbon reducing its sealing abilities but it could well be the original one so it's done pretty well. Because it's a labour intensive job to replace the seal it might seem sensible to change to the later seal rather than change the very cheap felt seal like for like, but the felt one does work and can be replaced without loosening or removing the housing. That means alignment will be good and the felt seal does centre itself up anyway.
See Mike at http://www.irollmotors.com/ for parts. Have a chat with him.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 16:23   #3
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derek UK View Post
The Volvo crank conversion kit comes with a seal. The housing looks similar but is machined for the silicone rubber lip seal. Although it's fairly normal to move from the felt seal to the lip seal it can end up that you don't get rid of the oil leak. There are various factors in play here. The seal housing and the seal have to be set up just right. The bearing surface for the seal can be damaged enough for the lip not to work properly. IMO there is nothing wrong with the felt seal and it probably has a better chance of sealing things up again. The old one does gradually get contaminated by dirty oil and carbon reducing its sealing abilities but it could well be the original one so it's done pretty well. Because it's a labour intensive job to replace the seal it might seem sensible to change to the later seal rather than change the very cheap felt seal like for like, but the felt one does work and can be replaced without loosening or removing the housing. That means alignment will be good and the felt seal does centre itself up anyway.
See Mike at http://www.irollmotors.com/ for parts. Have a chat with him.
Thanks so much for the detailed info. I was somewhat confused when my mechanic told me this wasn't going to work at first but now it's clear. I'll give mike a call later today.

So what would you recommend I do? Just want various ideas
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 17:53   #4
kmkemper

Humzah - just joined the Forum yesterday, and saw this post. I am in Auburn, with a 1963 122s that I am rally-prepping for vintage events. Just wanted to drop a line since you are local! - Kevin
kmkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 19:58   #5
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmkemper View Post
Humzah - just joined the Forum yesterday, and saw this post. I am in Auburn, with a 1963 122s that I am rally-prepping for vintage events. Just wanted to drop a line since you are local! - Kevin
nice! Thanks for saying hi, its cool to see someone else with a 122 in California!

I do have a steering wheel that the previous owner used when he did rally kind of stuff in my car if you need it!

If I may ask, do you know where to get(other then iRoll) or have any extra parts for a 122?
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:17   #6
kmkemper

Hamzah - I might be interested in the wheel you have, mind posting a picture of it or emailing me a photo? (kevin (at) vintagerallyeworks.com)?

I do have some parts for the 122s, and am happy to help you along with your car.

There are a good number of parts suppliers. I like IPD in Portland, they have a good number of parts available, though they are tending to move away from the old Volvos. VP-Autoparts is a Swedish company with an American warehouse, in South Carolina. They have most of the OEM parts you may need. Have done business with both, and would recommend either.
kmkemper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:53   #7
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:
Hamzah - I might be interested in the wheel you have, mind posting a picture of it or emailing me a photo? (kevin (at) vintagerallyeworks.com)?

I do have some parts for the 122s, and am happy to help you along with your car.

There are a good number of parts suppliers. I like IPD in Portland, they have a good number of parts available, though they are tending to move away from the old Volvos. VP-Autoparts is a Swedish company with an American warehouse, in South Carolina. They have most of the OEM parts you may need. Have done business with both, and would recommend either.
Sending them over now!

What parts do you have? And I know about IPD and VP and was most likely going to go through VP for my floor plans. I'm looking for some other shops ok the west coast.
Old Nov 11th, 2016, 20:58   #8
Humzah Ahmad

Quote:

Actually, here you go:

I have it uninstalled right now as I installed the original steering a couple months back. It comes with everything needled to install