Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 700/900 Series General > 700/900 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

1990 740 GLT 16V Estate for sale

Views : 1437

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:19   #1
lobster740

Default 1990 740 GLT 16V Estate for sale

1990 Volvo 745 GLT 2.3 16v (B234F), manual transmission with o/d. 125k miles.
No AC, has manual temperature control. Tow bar and electrics fitted.

No MOT - project vehicle for spares or repairs - IMO it’s too good for breaking and would be an achievable winter project for someone with more spare time than me!

Please see attached PDF file for photos.

I have owned this car since 2014 and had it on the road from 2014-2016. It was taken off the road in (late?) 2016 for MOT work and to investigate issues with the heater system discharging coolant into the cabin.

Some renovation was carried out in 2017 and then other projects, work and family demands got in the way again. I restarted work on getting it back on the road in July 2019 and have been trying to devote time to it wherever possible, however unfortunately health problems have led me to make the decision to reduce my ‘fleet’ to manageable levels.

The ‘management’ are also very keen for me to find a new home for this vehicle ASAP.

The current situation of the vehicle is:

SORN (obviously)

Interior and cabin heating system dismantled (all parts and fastenings have been bagged and labelled). Ingress of coolant in the cabin has been traced to the heater water valve, which appeared to be an aftermarket plastic unit and has quite clearly failed. This non-AC valve type is the ‘unobtainable’ sort, so I have acquired a couple of VW Golf Mk1 heater water valves to modify accordingly (as suggested by numerous forum users as the best fix).

In order to eliminate any issues with the heater core/matrix, this was removed in Sep 2019 and cleaned, flushed and pressure tested by Dave at Ready Rads in Highgate, Birmingham, who pronounced it to be a good ‘un with no cold spots showing up and no leaks under high pressure. Have obtained new genuine Volvo hoses and clips to connect the matrix back to the bulkhead / heater control valve, as well as a new gasket for the heater air intake under the windscreen cowling panel. Heater pipes have been checked for blockages and cleaned.

Carpets and underfloor padding have been removed and cleaned to remove coolant residue. The carpets and seats have not yet been refitted due to the need for welding to both the drivers’ side footwell and the passenger side footwell. Both of these areas have been previously repaired prior to my ownership, however whoever carried these welded repairs out had plated over the floorpan holes from the underside of the car, (which appeared sound from beneath on initial inspection). Removal of the carpets and sound deadening revealed that old rust had not been removed, and hence damp and coolant had penetrated into the metal from above. Unfortunately on the passenger side, the corrosion had penetrated into part of the chassis rail and front n/s jacking point, a section of which will need to be replaced.

Otherwise, the structural condition of the car is sound - the rest of the underside was de-rusted, coated and undersealed in 2017 whilst the exhaust was being replaced, and the battery tray in the engine bay also had some welded repairs.

Bodywork is pretty good - panels are straight and no evident rust issues to body panels. There are a few minor scratches and stonechips here and there, two obvious scratches on the n/s rear corner where a shopping trolley rolled into it..

Black leather seats from an early 940 have been acquired to replace the saggy grey velour items.

New tailgate gas struts have been fitted. Car also has fold-down Volvo dog guard fitted. Car also comes with original Volvo GRP / plastic tailgate load tray and has a tow bar with 2 x electric sockets.

The car started and drove as recently as August 2019, when it was last moved into position for renovation to take place. I have bought a haul of service parts which would be included in the sale if a reasonable offer is received, and are listed below.

Front wheel bearings, brake discs / pads / calipers were all replaced by me in 2017; a necessity due to the brake back plates having dissolved.

Rear half shaft flanges, brake back plates, calipers, discs and pads were also replaced by me in 2017, together with handbrake shoes and springs.

Receipts retained for all parts purchased / fitted in my ownership.

Brake fluid flushed and changed in 2017.

Centre and rear exhaust pipes and boxes were removed in 2017 and replaced with new items due to rust issues.

Some electric circuits were only working sporadically when recently running - I think that the likely cause of this is water / coolant having dripped into the fuse / relay tray from the heater ducts. Battery is approx. 3 years old.

Mechanically, the only issue I’ve previously had was a failed clutch slave cylinder which was replaced in 2015. The engine would benefit from a service and a cam belt change and balance shaft belt change, but does run as previously stated.

Parts offered with car:

2x Champion front wiper blades (new)
1x Bosch rear wiper blade(new)
2x Pagid front brake hoses (new)
1x front R/H side light / indicator unit (new)
1x Prospark ignition lead set (new)
4x Volvo genuine spark plugs, p/n 272464 (new)
2x power steering and fan belts (new)
1x engine oil filler cap (new)
1x Bosch oil filter (new)
1x thermostat (new)
1x Fram fuel filter (new)
1x Beru rotor arm (new)
1x air filter element (new)
1x amplifier bypass lead (new)
1x dashboard adapter plate and audio harness (new)
1 x rocker cover gasket

I have also got 4x Kumho Ecowing 195/60 R15 H 88 tyres, which I bought from blackcircles in July 2019, total cost £165. These can also be included with the sale should a satisfactory price be agreed.

The car currently has 2 x Vredesteins on the front, which were new in 2015, together with 2 older tyres on the rear - these have cracked and are only suitable for scrap.

I am happy to discuss genuine, sensible offers. The car needs to go, so I am not willing to break or sell individual parts.

I will, if time allows, attempt to carry on with putting the heater system back together - I know from doing lots of forum research that people can be put off by this issue!

Feel free to ask any questions - PM me if you would like to discuss...

Andy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Advert photos 1 med.pdf (1.34 MB, 172 views)
lobster740 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lobster740 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 8th, 2019, 22:44   #2
lobster740

Paging @Classicswede - I can't reply to your PM as I haven't posted enough times!

If you mail me on lobsterbangernomics at iCloud dot com I will respond there...
Old Jan 8th, 2020, 14:36   #3
lobster740

@Deeman940 I can’t reply to your DM due to not having enough posts to reply back to admins. Can you DM me with alternative contact details? Ta
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 18:44   #4
Steve740

Probably not what you want to hear, but if you do consider breaking I'd be very keen on that 16v head!
Steve740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9th, 2020, 20:39   #5
360beast
Go redblock or go home

Hopefully it doesn't end up being broken just for the head and then the head just being punted around forum members as each decides the 16V conversion is too much work.

Sounds like a solid base for a decent car and I hope it ends up being put back on the road.
360beast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 360beast For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 13:06   #6
Steve740

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post
Hopefully it doesn't end up being broken just for the head and then the head just being punted around forum members as each decides the 16V conversion is too much work.

Sounds like a solid base for a decent car and I hope it ends up being put back on the road.
Did you say there are heads being punted around..?
Steve740 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10th, 2020, 15:45   #7
rwdkev
VOC member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 360beast View Post

My thoughts entirely Luke. There weren't many of these when new and obviously even fewer left now.
rwdkev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 26th, 2020, 00:48   #8
lobster740

Would the chap who messaged me today please send another PM with alt contact details...
Old May 3rd, 2020, 23:21   #9
DaveJ87
DaveJ

Hi, did this sell?
DaveJ87 is offline   Reply With Quote