Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

BluePower BLP-990A

Views : 18428

Replies : 62

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 4th, 2020, 03:10   #41
bcjackson

Thanks for the info on the power button function... that was driving me nuts not knowing that it would shut off the unit. Thought I might have a power brown-out given that I couldn't have the stereo and head unit on at the same time.

That's a really stupid design decision. It should be always on.
(BTW, I noticed that the CD eject button cycles through on/dim/off for the screen.)
Wonder if there is a means to disable it.

Given the half-finished product and next-to-no support from BP, I'm wondering if there are enough BLP-990 owners (suckers) to self support as a community. Maybe we can petition them to release everything as open source so that we can make improvements.
bcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to bcjackson For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 16:25   #42
bcjackson

I've noted on my BLP-990A that Android developer mode is enabled, but that it seems to be password protected.

I have asked Bluepower repeatedly over the past several weeks for the password... no response.

Without that, I can't tweak dev options or factory reset the unit.

If anyone has insights... I'd appreciate your help.
bcjackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 10th, 2020, 16:57   #43
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjackson View Post
I've noted on my BLP-990A that Android developer mode is enabled, but that it seems to be password protected.

I have asked Bluepower repeatedly over the past several weeks for the password... no response.

Without that, I can't tweak dev options or factory reset the unit.

If anyone has insights... I'd appreciate your help.
My advixe would be to head over to the XDA developer forum. If there is a way to get past a locked bootloader, install a custom ROM. or tweak settings on an android build then they will be the ones to do it.
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 23:45   #44
Eakin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcjackson View Post
I'm also a new BLP-990a owner and have had this same problem.
Bluepower finally responded to me these instructions to update the system, which resolved the problem.

Please update the unit with latest software:

1. Download the rar file from the link:

https://mega.nz/#!zRtSkAAJ!znxzYA38x...K6UR-xood2bC9o

2. Unzip the rar file in empty USB memory stick without any files on it.

3. Insert the USB stick into one of the units USB ports.

4. Turn on your car

5. Start the system procedure through settings, SETTINGS > CAR SETTINGS > SYSTEM UPDATE (SELECT USB)

6. The updating does take about 6-8 minutes and the car need to be turned on while updating, once the updating is completed the unit will restart and homepage will appear.

7. Press the small display icon on left upper corner of the display to close the OSD.
That link doesn't seem to be working: file missing. Was hoping to update my 990-A as well with it. I'm having a ton of things just not working properly and was hoping that might help.

What Android OS version was that? Mine is currently 7.1.2
Eakin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14th, 2020, 23:51   #45
Eakin

Also, I'm glad to hear it's not just me having problems getting an answer from them. I'd have a really hard time recommending their product to anyone.

It took me over a year to sort out all of the missing parts, incorrect instructions, etc. I drove around with my glove box off and dash ripped apart for 6 months or so while I waited to sort it out. Every time I'd think I finally got the part I was missing, I'd start the install from where I left off, only to find that yet another part was missing.

If they had actual instructions for this model and an inventory for it, I would have known that I was missing 3 parts before I ripped the car apart. Each time, it would take about 2 months from contacting them to actually having the part in my hand.

I'm STILL trying to get a refund on the 'Android Auto' dongle that I paid 90 Euros for and never showed up. At least I found out that option is just a cheap USB dongle that goes between the phone and port, so I bought one on Amazon for $20 and it works fine. I mean, it doesn't charge my phone while it's plugged in, but at least it works now.
Eakin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Eakin For This Useful Post:
Old May 25th, 2020, 12:55   #46
volvodude100

Wish that I would have found this forum and thread much earlier. So here is one more sucker as well. I pre-ordered the unit in December '19 with the Android Carplay-dongle and got it during January and had it installed in February. Android 9 was preinstalled.
The installation took some time even for a professional technian at the garage, and he stated that the instructions were not completely correct. Also the cable meant to connect to the display circuit-board was not making any connection and it had to be opened and plugged in properly by technician. After this the display also started to work.
Next problem was that the OSD image from the ICM board was shown overlaid all the time on the new display (climate controllers, etc). After asking via email I got pretty quick reply to download software and instructions to do the update (from Mega.nz) and after updating the unit to press the small display icon on left upper corner of the display to close the OSD overlay (the icon wasnt really on the upper left corner, but found it anyway and got rid off overlay.)
After getting the car on the road, I have noticed following things:

- Bluetooth microphone doesnt work, other party only hears some noise and cant recognize the voice. I can however here them just fine.
- Reverseradar doesnt give anymore warning-sound
- When seatbelts are off and ignition is on, there is no warning sound anymore.
- Android Auto & Carplay usb-dongle worked once, but not anymore.
- Radio worked in the beginning, but few weeks later channels started to overlap each other and often some channels have much background noise or are not found at all anymore.
- Now I have been over month without anything working, since "System UI keeps stopping"-message started to pop-up on the screen. No apps can be started and the unit doesnt react to any buttons pushed.

When asking about this I was told to to do software-update again because it had not been correctly made first time(!?) Well, since the System UI keeps crashing all the time, even the software-update option doesnt work anymore. After asking about what to do next, I waited two weeks for the email reply and sent a new email after which I got reply that I should send the unit from the glove-department to them to make the software-update.
I asked them then if they could send me a new box before I book a time from the garage to do the job and could get the old box removed and a new one installed same time the car would be there and I could send the old box back there after the swap. Almost two weeks more waiting and I sent new email and suprise suprise, I got pretty quick reply that they dont send any new box in advance.

The support has been pretty awful experience, only via email. Sometimes many weeks of waiting to simple questions and not getting answered to all of them.

I have been pretty patient and reasonable with them, but I have now booked a time from the garage to do the removal of this crappy chinese abomination and have the original system reinstalled, so I will have working system for summer. After driving and listening to music/radio straight from your phone for over month is no joy at all. Pretty much money burned for absolutely nothing, most of it goes paying technian for all the work done to first install this crap and now to remove it.
volvodude100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 17:41   #47
StatusRed
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvodude100 View Post
Wish that I would have found this forum and thread much earlier. So here is one more sucker as well. I pre-ordered the unit in December '19 with the Android Carplay-dongle and got it during January and had it installed in February. Android 9 was preinstalled.
The installation took some time even for a professional technian at the garage, and he stated that the instructions were not completely correct. Also the cable meant to connect to the display circuit-board was not making any connection and it had to be opened and plugged in properly by technician. After this the display also started to work.
Next problem was that the OSD image from the ICM board was shown overlaid all the time on the new display (climate controllers, etc). After asking via email I got pretty quick reply to download software and instructions to do the update (from Mega.nz) and after updating the unit to press the small display icon on left upper corner of the display to close the OSD overlay (the icon wasnt really on the upper left corner, but found it anyway and got rid off overlay.)
After getting the car on the road, I have noticed following things:

- Bluetooth microphone doesnt work, other party only hears some noise and cant recognize the voice. I can however here them just fine.
- Reverseradar doesnt give anymore warning-sound
- When seatbelts are off and ignition is on, there is no warning sound anymore.
- Android Auto & Carplay usb-dongle worked once, but not anymore.
- Radio worked in the beginning, but few weeks later channels started to overlap each other and often some channels have much background noise or are not found at all anymore.
- Now I have been over month without anything working, since "System UI keeps stopping"-message started to pop-up on the screen. No apps can be started and the unit doesnt react to any buttons pushed.

When asking about this I was told to to do software-update again because it had not been correctly made first time(!?) Well, since the System UI keeps crashing all the time, even the software-update option doesnt work anymore. After asking about what to do next, I waited two weeks for the email reply and sent a new email after which I got reply that I should send the unit from the glove-department to them to make the software-update.
I asked them then if they could send me a new box before I book a time from the garage to do the job and could get the old box removed and a new one installed same time the car would be there and I could send the old box back there after the swap. Almost two weeks more waiting and I sent new email and suprise suprise, I got pretty quick reply that they dont send any new box in advance.

The support has been pretty awful experience, only via email. Sometimes many weeks of waiting to simple questions and not getting answered to all of them.

I have been pretty patient and reasonable with them, but I have now booked a time from the garage to do the removal of this crappy chinese abomination and have the original system reinstalled, so I will have working system for summer. After driving and listening to music/radio straight from your phone for over month is no joy at all. Pretty much money burned for absolutely nothing, most of it goes paying technian for all the work done to first install this crap and now to remove it.
What a shame

I'm planning on just hard wiring in this at some point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Highwa.../dp/B07FL1NRRT

Previous: C70 Coupe 2.4i | Saab 9-5 Aero | Daihatsu SporTrak
StatusRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25th, 2020, 19:42   #48
lockstock

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
What a shame

I'm planning on just hard wiring in this at some point: https://www.amazon.co.uk/Pure-Highwa.../dp/B07FL1NRRT
lots of happy customers of those
lockstock is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lockstock For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 09:32   #49
volvodude100

Quote:
Originally Posted by StatusRed View Post
What a shame

Indeed it is. My advice for someone looking into buying BLP-990A is to stay away from this product and company, nothing but a disappointment.
Some mixed reviews on that Pure-device, but looking forward to hear your experience with it
volvodude100 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to volvodude100 For This Useful Post:
Old May 27th, 2020, 11:48   #50
iainmd

I can vouch for the Pure Highway 600. It's a decent bit of kit and I installed one into our V50.

I replaced the Alpine EZI-DAB (Pure Highway 300Di) we used to have which was great but only did DAB/iPod/Aux-in. The 600 does DAB/BT/Phone. The only thing I preferred about the older Alpine/Pure was that the controller was wired on the older models. The 600 is wireless, which means it's easier to site, but means the batteries need to be changed every now and again and the display isn't always on to save battery whereas the wired displays were always on.

I got ours on Amazon for £80 so in honesty it's great value for money.

Past: 2004 Volvo S40 T5 SE
iainmd is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to iainmd For This Useful Post: