Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

A few mods that I've done so far.

Views : 8341

Replies : 66

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 5th, 2012, 16:07   #1
robsv40
I've Been Banned

Default A few mods that I've done so far.

My V40 2.0t, just a few mods that have been carried out recently. I'm not after a race car, just to be able to beat my friends Focus ST. Need to prove a point lol.

When I got the car

Alloys weren't my style so changed them for these

After a while the laquer was all coming off and 3 tyres needed changing so thought, sod it, "wheel" (get it, funny aye) change the lot and got these

So far on engine mods
K&N 57i induction kit. Makes a great noise and instantly notice better running

Dump valve just for the crack really

Then Niles fitted the manual boost controller and the boot gauge for me. Nice guy with massive amount of knowledge. Really chuffed with how the boost guage came out. He got the car running like an animal, when the turbo kicks in, you know about it. Wastegate chatter is fun too
My actuator has had it so it still needs sorting.

This is a video for it, I'm not Steven Spielberg so it's not great
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eL8Q15UeVzo

I was bored one evening so decided to take the dashboard out and do this
just to see how it would look

Everyone knows about the body rolling on the V40's. Fitted this and it's brilliant!

So from this to this

Next are some lowering springs, exhaust but no too keen on the twin pipe Jetex so got to find something else. Also the new actuator from Forge. Would benefit from being mapped but after that, we'll see how things go.
robsv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 17:33   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Lovely !
Are you up to T4 spec yet?
with that all you need is a remap for more power than a volvo powered ST focus .
Old May 5th, 2012, 17:36   #3
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Nice one mate, looks spot on. Wish my T4 was as healthy ATM lol grrrrr

Stage 5 Saab 9-3 Aero V6 2.8T. 372bhp. 677nm.
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 18:10   #4
francas

what boost it runs now? In video, what i can see it is about 0.6. Originaly it runs 0,65 (i think so), so you did something with boost controler or not?
francas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 18:14   #5
960kg
Premier Member

I wouldn`t go over .8 bar or 12psi with the 2.0T....this is about the safe boost for that model.

Mercedes C320CDI Sport Estate 3 litre V6 7 Gear Auto
Remap 290bhp 628Nm torque @ 1600revs 45.1mpg
960kg is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 960kg For This Useful Post:
Old May 5th, 2012, 18:38   #6
gmain1967
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 960kg View Post
I wouldn`t go over .8 bar or 12psi with the 2.0T....this is about the safe boost for that model.
Agreed keith. I had one from new in 1999 and got it mapped in 2002, together with a Jetex system and a K and N 57i. Remap was 12psi max which was the accepted safe limit for that engine. Made 195bhp, so just shy of T4. If you want to beat a focus at reasonable cost, you want to start with a T4 and do similar mods.
gmain1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 19:00   #7
Dog_Book
Idiot

You need to buy my evo front seats :P

Busy pestering the poor sods here now
Dog_Book is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 21:30   #8
andyv40turbo

That looks so awesome!!! how was the dump valve to sort?? id really like to do the same but thought as it was a low pressure turbo it wouldnt do alot...? Really like the boost gauge as well Id love something like that. real nice!!!
andyv40turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 5th, 2012, 23:22   #9
mitchyboy01
Premier Member

Just seen the vid mate. Sounds lovely. Niles has done a good job on the gauge too.

Stage 5 Saab 9-3 Aero V6 2.8T. 372bhp. 677nm.
mitchyboy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 6th, 2012, 03:18   #10
robsv40
I've Been Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Lovely !
Are you up to T4 spec yet?
with that all you need is a remap for more power than a volvo powered ST focus .
Not just yet lol. T4 turbo being bolted on though

Quote:
Originally Posted by francas View Post
what boost it runs now? In video, what i can see it is about 0.6. Originaly it runs 0,65 (i think so), so you did something with boost controler or not?
its running 0.8. Boost controller has been turned up fully, to compensate for a currently mullered actuator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmain1967 View Post
Agreed keith. I had one from new in 1999 and got it mapped in 2002, together with a Jetex system and a K and N 57i. Remap was 12psi max which was the accepted safe limit for that engine. Made 195bhp, so just shy of T4. If you want to beat a focus at reasonable cost, you want to start with a T4 and do similar mods.
I was thinking about changing to a T4 but I know my car inside and out so reluctant to change. I'll be keeping this one and see what I can do with it until it stops fighting the good fight Next one will be a T4 or maybe an R of some sort.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dog_Book View Post
You need to buy my evo front seats :P
How much? Don't suppose you know anyone selling Evo 3 calipers? Its no wonder Volvos go through things like building.......they don't stop

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyv40turbo View Post
That looks so awesome!!! how was the dump valve to sort?? id really like to do the same but thought as it was a low pressure turbo it wouldnt do alot...? Really like the boost gauge as well Id love something like that. real nice!!!
It was a complete pain in the ar5e lol. The car was built around the diverter valve I swear. Once you get to that, then its easy enough. I did have the DV on before the MBC and it was decent enough.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchyboy01 View Post
Just seen the vid mate. Sounds lovely. Niles has done a good job on the gauge too.
I didnt think it was going to turn out as good as it did.
I got your text the other day but forgot to reply. I've installed Vadis on my machine so I'll give you a text tomorrow (sunday) and see if you're free. You need Windows 98 2000 or XP though.
robsv40 is offline   Reply With Quote