Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '06-'16 / V70 & XC70 '07-'16 General Forum for the P3-platform S80 and 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

D5244T4 engine stuttering on warmer days

Views : 617

Replies : 4

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 16th, 2022, 14:16   #1
simostei

Default D5244T4 engine stuttering on warmer days

Hello dear community,

I own a Volvo S80 II since nearly a year now.
I am totally satisfied with the car, but it has a small problem that is really annoying me.

The car stutters for a few seconds after I start it. After a few seconds of idling or some throttle input, the car settles and then runs smoothly again. This only happens when the car gets an absolute cold start. Once the engine is warm, it runs great.
However: The warmer it is outside, the more/longer the car stutters during a cold start. So, the car doesn't really stutter that long on cold days, but it does stutter a lot on warmer days.

Here is a short sample video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KP6NT3hjUgg

I have VIDA installed so I could do a real time value check. But I don’t actually know where to start, since I’m not very familiar with how to troubleshoot engines. There are no trouble codes.

Thanks in advance!
Cheers Simon

Volvo S80II P3 MY07 (AS) Summum
Engine: D5244T4 (No optimization)
Automatic transmission: TF-80SC
Oil: 0W-30
Mileage: 87.000 miles
simostei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 15:35   #2
Olaf Els

It may not be relevant, but I've recently had a problem with warm/hot starting on another diesel vehicle. It started perfectly from cold, but not otherwise. If warm it ran rough for a few seconds, or worse it wouldn't start at all.

I found the problem to be a poorly-fitted hose clamp on the fuel supply, which was allowing a very small volume of air into the high pressure fuel pump. I came to the conclusion that with the glow plugs activated, it was able to cope with the air. If the engine was warm the glow plugs were not coming on and it was unable to ignite the fuel. Once started, it ran without problems.

I was able to insert a small inline filter with a transparent casing. Even though the air bubbles were tiny, they were visible.
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 17:40   #3
passenger
Master Member

You went on VIDA - fault trace - delivery?

Well I had problems before. After few days not starting, he was few secs like on 3 cyl. I thought injectors, but I get them tested and they are perfect. After I changer diesel filter, I dont have those problem anymore.
can you please read injectors paremeters? If you dont know were is it, tell me, I will start vida and show you.

Looks like this and thos are normal parameteres. Car must idle during test. Everything is in descriptions of VIDA

passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 20:32   #4
simostei

Thank you guys!

Just ordered a new fuel filter. Can‘t remember when I swapped mine last time… I‘ll give it a try. I‘ll also check for any fuel leaks.

Yes, I checked fault traces. They are definitely fine, respectively, not relevant for my problem.

I‘ll also check the injectors tomorrow (super stormy in germany right now)
I don‘t know where I can check them in VIDA, but I‘m sure I‘ll find. Otherwise I‘ll let you know of course.
simostei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 16th, 2022, 20:49   #5
passenger
Master Member

In Schweiz ist auch scheisse wetter.

I will save you some time, I have VIDA next to me now:

Go on advanced. I forgot to circle it

Click on image:

Send picture from blue frame when you do it.

P. S. Dont use VIDA too long just on ignition ON. ViDA is connecting to all modules in car and suck batterie quick

Use only original or Mann filter. You would be suprise how bad fuel filter can bad effect on D5 engines.

Last edited by passenger; Feb 16th, 2022 at 20:53.
passenger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to passenger For This Useful Post:

Tags
diesel, engine, misfires, problem, stutter