Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

850 / S70 & V70 '96-'99 / C70 '97-'05 General Forum for the 850 and P80-platform 70-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

What did you do to your 850/X70 today???

Views : 148652

Replies : 929

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Aug 29th, 2023, 12:35   #891
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cyclogenesis View Post

This car seems to eat control arms a lot. In the 23 years we have had it, it has needed them replacing about 4-5 times each side whereas the wheel bearings have only been done once. I do wonder if on the occasions I got a local garage to do the control arms if they put lower spec items on the car.
Definitely a wide range of quality out there, I had to replace one of mine double quick for an MOT so grabbed what the local factor had in stock, Unipart if I remember correctly, but it was definitely inferior.

All I’ve done to my V70 lately is squirt a bit of WD40 on the throttle links as the cable has jumped off of the drum a couple of times when I tried to do a quick up change, will have to see how that works out.

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 13:03   #892
Luxobarge
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post
Definitely a wide range of quality out there, I had to replace one of mine double quick for an MOT so grabbed what the local factor had in stock, Unipart if I remember correctly, but it was definitely inferior.

All I’ve done to my V70 lately is squirt a bit of WD40 on the throttle links as the cable has jumped off of the drum a couple of times when I tried to do a quick up change, will have to see how that works out.
Seconded. I replaced mine several times with the PFV "standard" quality control arms and they didn't last. Then I used the Meyle "Heavy Duty" ones and they've lasted for ages. Yes, these cars are heavy on control arms, so buy decent quality and it'll turn out cheaper in the long run.

Dave - WD40 may solve your throttle linkage problems for a while, but WD 40 isn't really ideal as a lubricant (the WD stands for Water Dispersant) and when it dries out - which it will do quite soon - it leaves a sticky residue which can make the problem worse. I'd use a decent spray grease such as GT40, it has PTFE in it which is probably ideal for that sort of thing. Just thought I'd mention it.....
Old Aug 29th, 2023, 21:37   #893
DaveNP
Non VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luxobarge View Post
Dave - WD40 may solve your throttle linkage problems for a while,... Just thought I'd mention it.....
Thanks, WD40 was what came easily to hand and the solvents and light oils in it should help get into all of the moving parts and break down any dried up grease, longer term the throttle cable is looking a bit crusty too so a bit more time with some proper lubricants is on the cards. (cover for the throttle is in the passenger footwell to remind me to do it properly )

David
V70 2.5 10v Torslanda Manual 98 Sreg
DaveNP is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveNP For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 13:47   #894
stevepcar
Steve

Default Bottom Control Arm

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveNP View Post

I replaced my bottom control arms 52,000 miles (13 years) ago with ones I got from GSF. The offside one has just failed the MOT. Not bad really, so I've ordered another one from them & hope it lasts as long.
stevepcar is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stevepcar For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 30th, 2023, 19:46   #895
ITSv40
VOC Member

I find genuine Meyle Heavy Duty are quite often better built than the Volvo originals.
ITSv40 is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ITSv40 For This Useful Post:
Old Aug 31st, 2023, 06:57   #896
DaveT5
VOC Member

MOT time! Needed some tyres as expected so got them done at the same time, now all good to go!

Work done 2 weeks ago in preparation: Replaced OSF lower arm, both inner and outer tie rods, both front drop links, both front brake flexi hoses, brake fluid change, rear discs, pads and shoes, OS handbrake cable, OSR brake caliper.
1998 V70 2.5 SE - 2022-
DaveT5 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DaveT5 For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 5th, 2023, 16:42   #897
Dippydog
Premier Member

Still waiting for the rear springs to arrive from London that I ordered on 29th and shown as despatched on 30th
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8th, 2023, 13:36   #898
Dippydog
Premier Member

M.o.T. retest passed this morning
Dippydog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dippydog For This Useful Post:
Old Sep 9th, 2023, 21:35   #899
Seacombe2379
Old bricks must live

Finally made some progress on the project.

New shoes for the handbrake since the psr didn't have any material left at all so done the both.

Only to find to move the car the fuel filter has finally passed its serviceable life by leaking like a sive 🤣🤣.

Mot next week I hope 😬😬😬
Seacombe2379 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10th, 2023, 11:04   #900
EMM

Had the usual pre-holiday fix everything last minute rush lol

Replaced the Driver side door bulb (with the correct one…idiot).
Fitted a second ABS module….still getting a error code but linked to front left ABS Sensor. A step closer to it being fixed.
Fitted a new bung for the airbox to stop it rattling.
Fixed the driver side window. Now goes all the way down.
Replaced the bulbs and the spider from the instrument cluster. It was dead both the spider and the bulbs.
Replaced the Big red fronts with a aftermarket set (Recommended by a independent porsche dealer - £400 delivered for a set). Will get my others rebuilt and have a spare set.
Fixed the remote central locking. Turned out to be the sun sensor (hours and hours for a random post saying….try this…..arrrrr).

And the biggest most expensive job….replace the driver side passenger door seal. The L shaped Clips are silly money but what a difference to the cabin noise.

On a side note ordered a new mounting kit for the saloon spoiler. Granted it has to go through a PO box in german but finally it can stop rattling lol.

And as usual found a million other jobs.

Last edited by EMM; Sep 10th, 2023 at 11:08.
EMM is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EMM For This Useful Post: