Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

volvo s40 t4 advice engine

Views : 532

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 9th, 2018, 07:21   #1
stu turbo

Default volvo s40 t4 advice engine

Good morning

Could anybody point me in the right direction with instruction for completing head gasket replacement and cleaning the head up in side and new oil seals

Tools needed for completing job
Instructions

any help on this be great

regards
stu turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 11:24   #2
Ginga

You can start with this:

https://haynes.com/en-gb/volvo/v40/1996-2004

You get an idea of the work involved, tools needed...

Good luck with that!
Ginga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 9th, 2018, 21:31   #3
canis
Non Fragile

You will need liquid gasket. You will need new head bolts. If you're going that deep, you'll probably be wanting a new timing belt too. And if you're going that far, new auxilliary belt. You'll need new oil, new coolant, and I'd be suprised if you can get that deep without having to break open the aircon circuit too, so that'll need re-gassing. Try not to get caught - it's a £3000 fine for releasing freon into the atmosphere.

It's an huge undertaking because so much stuff has to come off first.

On top of all that, Volvo's habit of using wierd sizes for everything means you'll need your entire toolbox. Practically every single socket and spanner you own will end up scattered around.

Then there's also the special timing tool you'll need, unless you can leave the timing pulleys attached to their camshafts, can't remember now if that's possible or not.

It's achieveable, but expect to emerge from the process needing several stiff drinks, possibly the entire bottle. Be methodical about it. Label stuff. Make notes, seriously. And take photographs.

Good luck.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 06:26   #4
stu turbo

Good morning

Thank you so much for all the feed back

I am in no rush to sort this it will be completed long project I am using the car at the moment and taking off the road in the next few weeks

if there anything else we missed please get in contact

very grateful for information as I have had not much advice on the old T4 in the past through the forums

regards
stu turbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 15:29   #5
pierremcalpine
Premier Member

this may help you:

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showt...lacement+guide

Click here for my x40 and V70 P3 repair guides
pierremcalpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10th, 2018, 21:20   #6
canis
Non Fragile

Wow! Great guide. Wish I'd had that when I did mine a couple of years ago. Maybe I didn't read thoroughly enough, but I didn't see any mention of the head pull-down tools made out of old spark plugs welded to threaded rod. Valve springs are fiercely strong and aluminium is very soft, especially compared to the steel bolts. Don't think I'd want to chance it without. You only need to strip a thread once.

Like the guide's author, though, I also didn't renew oil seals and simply re-used the old ones. I seemed to get away with it. Same again for the valve timing. Lacking a camshaft locking tool, I took my best shot and aimed for the clean bits between the crud, and again I seemed to get away with it.

Kudos to that chap though. It's a hard enough job as it is, but to take photographs all the way through it while sweating bullets about making a mistake and ruining it - that really takes some balls.
canis is offline   Reply With Quote