Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

clutch cost

Views : 1108

Replies : 16

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 21:19   #1
HalV40

Default clutch cost

Hi, has anyone recently had a new clutch fitted to their V40 1.9d? How much did it cost? Mine is just starting to slip. I'm planning on buying the clutch plate and cover only and risk leaving the flywheel as it is.
Any advice?

anyone got a couple of wings in 329 silver for a phase 2? mine are starting to perforate!
HalV40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23rd, 2018, 21:52   #2
Darlo 1
Lunatic.

When i had my v40 d i had the clutch and flywheel done, was about £600, best do the flywheel while it's all apart, you don't want to be doing it all again a 1000 miles later when the flywheel fails. Am currently having the clutch and flywheel done on my s60 d5, only wanted the turbo doing but suffered a massive oil leak from behind the flywheel due to a rubberised core plug failing and turning 90 degrees in its hole(thanks to volvo for that stupid design) currently looking at a bill of £1500 or so, so if you have it done do the lot for peace of mind.
S60 D5 2004.
I vape therefore I am.
Darlo 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 09:31   #3
loelly

Put in a flywheel from a 850 (not a DMF) and the complete clutch;Change the bolts fixing the flywheel.
look in old forum treads under Loely
I did copy the url but don't know if they work.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229368

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...4-flfywheel/ts

cheers
loelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24th, 2018, 21:34   #4
martin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by loelly View Post
Put in a flywheel from a 850 (not a DMF) and the complete clutch;Change the bolts fixing the flywheel.
look in old forum treads under Loely
I did copy the url but don't know if they work.

https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=229368

http://volvospeed.com/vs_forum/topic...4-flfywheel/ts

cheers
Sorry to be brutal, but:

A: The OP's car has a diesel engine made by Renault, so I highly doubt an 850 Volvo engined flywheel would fit. Would fit the Volvo engined four cylinder petrols with M56 gearbox and DMF lovely.

B: Unless you like driving tractors and having a wrecked gearbox, a solid flywheel on a diesel (especially one which was built with a dual mass) is a bad idea.

I personally would change the flywheel (for another dual mass unit), because the amount of vibration and harshness on a diesel can wear them out quicker. If it was the Volvo petrol with a DMF, I 'might' have given it a miss. Also, DEFINITELY change the release bearing too.

Last edited by martin93; Oct 24th, 2018 at 21:37.
martin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 17:05   #5
CharlesStevenson
Premier Member

Mine was for a 1.8 petrol so I don't think it's going to be a straight comparison for the diesel, but about 2 yrs ago we had the clutch, pressure plate & release bearing replaced (flywheel ok) & that was £230.
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 20:30   #6
mathewst

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin93 View Post
Sorry to be brutal, but:
B: Unless you like driving tractors and having a wrecked gearbox, a solid flywheel on a diesel (especially one which was built with a dual mass) is a bad idea.
This is something I would completely disagree.
After 235tkm on my Octavia 1.9tdi dmf was gone and was replaced with single unit.
Car now has over 300tkm, this was done 5 years ago.
Not a single problem since then.
Car cosnumes the same or even less fuel than with dmf.
The only difference was that the clutch engages sooner /there is little less control/smoothness of the start on clutch but the difference is barely noticable even to me.
mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 20:37   #7
steadvex
Master Member

It defies all logic, but price it up with Volvo, well the parts anyway, probably cheaper to get genuine Volvo parts.

for the last year we have found they are consistently cheaper than aftermarket!
steadvex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 20:52   #8
martin93

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathewst View Post
This is something I would completely disagree.
After 235tkm on my Octavia 1.9tdi dmf was gone and was replaced with single unit.
Car now has over 300tkm, this was done 5 years ago.
Not a single problem since then.
Car cosnumes the same or even less fuel than with dmf.
The only difference was that the clutch engages sooner /there is little less control/smoothness of the start on clutch but the difference is barely noticable even to me.
Testament to the VAG gearbox. I don't think the Renault unit would be as forgiving.

Edit: Also, how can you possibly give a comparison from a completely different car!? The VW 1.9PD (and older mechcanical non-PD) engine and gearbox are famously bombproof. The Renault 1.9D is pretty good and gearbox equally so, but not amazing. Also, it depends on how the car is driven. If you drive around doing 30 in 5th, then the vibrations will shake the box to pieces, or damage the crankshaft. Spend all day not labouring the engine (30 in 3rd on hills, 4th on flat) or doing motorway miles all day, it'll last for years.

Last edited by martin93; Oct 25th, 2018 at 21:04.
martin93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25th, 2018, 22:46   #9
clarkey1984
Premier Member

Older cars that were around before the dmf was invented didn't go around blowing their gearboxes to bits all the time, yeah they do smooth out vibrations but not to the point where damage would result if they weren't there in the first place, my old bmw E36 328i had a failing dmf when I sold it, the new owner (one of my friends) fitted a single mass conversion and a lightened flywheel, and the car spent a lot of its time sideways on track (drifting) which works the drive train really hard, and although it did toast a diff or 2, never had an issue gearbox wise witjout the dual mass, I drove it a few times after it had the conversion and it was more revvy, eager, and just felt better in general.
Old Oct 26th, 2018, 09:52   #10
mathewst

Quote:
Originally Posted by martin93 View Post
Testament to the VAG gearbox. I don't think the Renault unit would be as forgiving.
Arent newer phase2 1.9d volvo gearboxes?
mathewst is offline   Reply With Quote