Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Power loss issue

Views : 3387

Replies : 50

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 10:19   #21
Whagwan

So my two main current questions are, from above:

When I clean the EGR is it ok to reuse the old gasket just until I the end of the month?

How can I check if this is a fuel filter issue?

Whagwan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 10:44   #22
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whagwan View Post
MAF has been disconnected and no improvement was had.

All fluid levels are good as were checked when I serviced. No smoke or overheating noticed.

No engine warning light.
OK, so if there is no warning light and it passed the MAF test, it sounds like the fuel filter or an air hose leak, as already mentioned.

A fuel filter sucking air in can cause starting problems or strange throttle response. If it's blocked then it often starts OK but then looses power smoothly in an intermittent manner, almost like the accelerator has another person who keeps lifting your foot off.

Fuel and oil filter guide:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=146544

Wild guess, one of the seals is no good or the drain plug is leaking. Hope nothing has cracked or the priming bulb has split. Also check the fuel hose connections to both units.

A blocked EGR tends to be a more gradual failure and the symptoms are less dramatic to start with. More of an overtaking problem.

A temporary gasket will work, BUT the Volvo EGR gasket is a shaped foil one, not some paper job, although a good quality non OEM copy is probably OK.

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 15th, 2013 at 10:52.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skyship007 For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 11:03   #23
skyship007
Premier Member

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikelan View Post
Had a similar problem once. Was bad diesel. Car ran like I had a bad maf sens immediately after filing up. Thought it was the car at the time so didn't complain. Garage was since closed for selling laundered diesel
Did it block the filter, or was it the wrong fuel, like summer fuel sold in the middle of winter?

I was involved in a less than funny incident some years ago, when some muppet went around a group of yachts at anchor selling water from a nice shiny BP fuel drum and hand pump. He filled up two boats before he reached a single hander on a small yacht who used a 3 stage pre-filter funnel. The last filter stops water! He was adding some fuel from a can before each boat, so it smelled and looked right to start with.

Last edited by skyship007; Apr 15th, 2013 at 11:07.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 11:22   #24
Whagwan

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyship007 View Post
A fuel filter sucking air in can cause starting problems or strange throttle response. If it's blocked then it often starts OK but then looses power smoothly in an intermittent manner, almost like the accelerator has another person who keeps lifting your foot off.

Fuel and oil filter guide:
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=146544

Wild guess, one of the seals is no good or the drain plug is leaking. Hope nothing has cracked or the priming bulb has split. Also check the fuel hose connections to both units.
The throttle response is not erratic or strange in anyway just incredibly sluggish.

I followed the linked guide to do the filter change in the first place but will inspect it again.

One thing I did notice when I had a look was that although I used the manual bulb to prime the filter after changing it, it was soft again and I could 'pump' it to hardness again. Would this indicate a problem or is this normal?

Old Apr 15th, 2013, 15:15   #25
Samwell
Master Member

Thats normal.

It sounds just like the problem I had... but disconnecting my MAF resolved the problem. Have you tried also disconnecting the EGR? It may throw up an engine fault but possibly worth a go.

Those vacuum hoses dont use clips. Both V40 diesels Ive had didnt have them, seemed to never need them... but maybe its worth a try? What harm could that do anyway!
Samwell is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Samwell For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 15th, 2013, 15:42   #26
Whagwan

Ok well, tonight after work I've got tag rugby, so can't work on it then. I'll get up early tomorrow and.

A. Double check fuel filter seals, housing and connections.
B. Try to further investigate hoses and jubilee clip any loose ones in place.
C. Try with disconnected EGR.
D. If none of the above work begin EGR clean (I want to do this anyway so nothing lost if it isn't this.)

Thanks to everyone for the help

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 08:01   #27
Whagwan

Ok, well was up at the crack of this morning to start work with the light.

Opened up the fuel filter again to check o-ring/gasket was seated properly, checked housing and hoses for leaks - All seemed good.

Ran the engine did a visual and tactile check of all the hoses I could get my hands on - All seemed good.

One this I did notice though is that the hose that I replaced yesterday, the one indicated in the following picture doesn't draw any vacuum at all, anyone know or minding checking if this should be the case.

So I started my EGR clean up, went ok but reached an impasse at the dreaded removing the inner valve of the EGR.
Sprayed with **** loads of carb cleaner, but trying to move it with a bit of wood and a hammer didn't move it at all, instead was just splintering the end of my handy bit of wood. Tried of for a bit but time was running out/didn't want my neighbours to come and kill me for banging away at just gone 7am. I sprayed a **** load of carb cleaner onto/into it and will try again when I get back from work.

Anyone got any tips to get this moving/more ideas on the power problem based on what I have ruled out now (MAF, fuel filter, hoses, etc?)

Last edited by Whagwan; Apr 16th, 2013 at 08:16.
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 08:22   #28
Samwell
Master Member

The wood idea suggested in the guide has been revised, now suggested to use a big wrench and start twisting.

I used a flat screwdriver and hammered at it left and right, but you HAVE to be careful of the main housing part, thats soft aluminium alloy. Also up and down/left and right pressure on the solenoid part helps. Dont spray too much carb cleaner on that part, its just not worth it!

As soon as you can twist it, your away! Just takes a bit of time though.

I very very much doubt your EGR could cause such a problem... but there IS the remote chance its got stuck open and wont close which would cause a slight issue in power, but i dont think as much as you have described.

Its a shame I cant upload my guide for removal/refitting the EGR so that its blanked off, but still fitted... yet!

Silly silly question, I know, but nothings stuck under the accelerator pedal.... ??
Old Apr 16th, 2013, 09:24   #29
Whagwan

Understand that egr is a doubtful one, but as I have exhausted all other avenues and it was something I was planning to do anyway there is no harm is getting on with it now.

There is nothing stuck under the accelerator pedal! It goes to the floor, unfortunately the revs don't follow straight away...

Old Apr 16th, 2013, 09:50   #30
Samwell
Master Member

Its always worth doing the EGR so no harm at all trying it by all means... Might be worth noting how much oil is around that area when it comes out. Be careful not to strip the threads of the housing when re-installing... its so easily done. Needs to be a little over finger tight.

Have you checked the induction hose to the turbo? Is the circlip tight? Perhaps worth loosening the clip and checking for shaft play in the turbo itself, just to check thats not completely buggered.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whagwan View Post
Understand that egr is a doubtful one, but as I have exhausted all other avenues and it was something I was planning to do anyway there is no harm is getting on with it now.

There is nothing stuck under the accelerator pedal! It goes to the floor, unfortunately the revs don't follow straight away...