Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Sad

Views : 20641

Replies : 191

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 12th, 2013, 23:59   #11
mikealder
VOC Member

See if you can borrow (or hire) an endoscope, send that down through the hole left when you take out a spark plug and have a look around inside each combustion chamber, you will be able to see what you going to be dealing with before you pull the head off the engine, a steerable one should be able to go down and look back up at the underside of the valves - Mike
mikealder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mikealder For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 08:57   #12
bigboz
Master Member

As stephend said get a decent torque wrench and plenty of tools, also from experience and especially if you don't know what your doing, take pictures and have the ability on hand to sort what you take off especially the nuts and bolts!

I did my first one at age 16 on the Lancia Y10 mum mum gave me that had no compression, ended up taking the engine out and have never looked back, even got me into working as a Formula Ford Race mechanic for a while.

Its essentially quite easy on paper, perhaps buy a Haynes Manual first and read it over several times.

I am new to this Forum but there seem to be a lot of knowledgeable people here and its very friendly so i am sure you will get any advice you need.

Take it steady, try not to get frustrated and watch those knuckles and it will be fine!
bigboz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bigboz For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 13th, 2013, 22:39   #13
DWM
VOC Member

Thanks guys.

I'm quite pleased to find that I'd already thought of all the things you mention bar the endoscope. Perhaps I'm not completely hopeless after all.

That's right - no VVT on mine.

Can't say that Haynes seems especially easy to follow but I'm hoping that it'll make more sense when I'm actually looking at the engine. And if I go slowly and ask for help when I get stuck... what can possibly go wrong?!! No particular start date in mind yet, but you'll probably know about it quite soon, once I get going, if I do... I have storage space but no proper shelter - something else I'd already thought of. Might be able to rig something up...

Last edited by DWM; Nov 13th, 2013 at 22:44.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 00:33   #14
stephend
Premier Member

Not even a car port or anything...?

Edit: another strategy you might think about is that if you do the donkey work of stripping down and getting the head off, your trusted mechanic friend might sort out the valve for you (if that is indeed what the problem is), saving you a lot on the overall repair costs and giving you extra peace of mind.
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5

Last edited by stephend; Nov 14th, 2013 at 00:37.
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 08:48   #15
tt82
Forum Support Team

If you do decide to strip it down, good luck with it. Will be a fantastic opputunity to learn more about your car.

tt82 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to tt82 For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 09:39   #16
DWM
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephend View Post
Not even a car port or anything...?

Edit: another strategy you might think about is that if you do the donkey work of stripping down and getting the head off, your trusted mechanic friend might sort out the valve for you (if that is indeed what the problem is), saving you a lot on the overall repair costs and giving you extra peace of mind.
Yes, I'd thought of that too. Either a replacement head to make life easier... or yes, let Derek see just how keen I am to save the car and beg a bit...
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 10:45   #17
Anadinolin
VOC Member

I'm pretty sure that you are tech savvy and that you have common sense about you.

if you have done a cambelt before, then you will find this job just as easy.

go to post 36 here

http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showth...=161064&page=4

its not as intimidating as it looks, everything is fixable if you have the guts to do it and get over that initial "what if" factor. this was the first time i had done anything like this in this much detail on any motor for myself, it took me half a day and the longest bit - changing the cambelt.
Old Nov 14th, 2013, 21:26   #18
DWM
VOC Member

Thank you for the compliment.
No, never done a cambelt. For me, this would definitely represent the significant step up from fiddling with the trim a bit to actually doing something to an engine!

Anyway I'm still nowhere with it. Haven't ordered any bits or started to sort myself out properly, so the original plan to make some progress this weekend seems to be slipping a bit. Never mind. Might yet get somewhere.

Last edited by DWM; Nov 14th, 2013 at 23:43.
DWM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 00:16   #19
stephend
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DWM View Post
Anyway I'm still nowhere with it. Haven't ordered any bits or started to sort myself out properly, so the original plan to make some progress this weekend seems to be slipping a bit. Never mind. Might yet get somewhere.
Take your time, spend some cosy evenings with your Haynes manual by the fire (in the spaces between marking and lesson prep!), and wait until you feel up for it before breaking the spanners out. You don't have to fix Genevieve in order to be able to get to work the following day, so you can do the job at a steady pace, taking the time it takes, and stopping to figure things out when you get stuck. Might be better to wait to order bits until you've done some dismantling and know exactly what you need. By the way, it would be a great time to renew your cambelt and maybe the tensioner.

Cambelts: I'd never done a cambelt until I did one, and I'd never done a head gasket until I did one. I admit I haven't attempted a cambelt on a twin-cam transverse engine...!
2012 Ford Mondeo 2.2 TDCi estate
1999 Land Rover Discovery 2 TD5
stephend is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to stephend For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 15th, 2013, 10:02   #20
gatos
Premier Member

Not sure if you have access to VIDA, but if not, feel free to let me know what you need and I can upload whatever you need.

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to gatos For This Useful Post: