Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Project: Converting 1.8 into a 1.9D

Views : 10301

Replies : 141

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:31   #21
Matt86
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunv40 View Post
i would have thought the ECU would have to be changed anyway.
Yes it does have to be...

Car Photos
Matt86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:36   #22
shaunv40
www.summerseries.co.uk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
I can't imagine it will need an engineering survey by Volvo by any means...
are you sure?

www.summerseries.co.uk
shaunv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:37   #23
v40alex
I do like a V40

Replacing an engine isn't usually an issue - your current chassis is not written off so I think all you'll need to do is fill out the V5 update and change the engine number/specs.
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:38   #24
shaunv40
www.summerseries.co.uk

at least if you need any extra parts you have that breakers in soton. they have a yard in pompy too. can't remember the name. i used to go there often when i lived in matchwood. (you can take a wild guess at why a young lad would live in matchwood, sure you will get it in 1.)

www.summerseries.co.uk
shaunv40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 18:48   #25
Matt86
Premier Member

lol I won't degrade you as to guess why :P Silverlake is the Southampton one. No V40s at the minute though - Don't know the Pompey one?

I'm sure I won't need to Volvo inspection as V40Alex said it should just be changes to the V5 - Depends on how anal VOSA and DVLA want to be.

Car Photos
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 19:05   #26
gatos
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt86 View Post
lol I won't degrade you as to guess why :P Silverlake is the Southampton one. No V40s at the minute though - Don't know the Pompey one?

I'm sure I won't need to Volvo inspection as V40Alex said it should just be changes to the V5 - Depends on how anal VOSA and DVLA want to be.
Would the tax go down as well, or would it remain at the same stupendously high level?

Nullius in Verba
gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 19:16   #27
Matt86
Premier Member

The 1.9D is so much cheaper than the 1.8 even after the conversation because the emissions is less.

Car Photos
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 19:19   #28
Matt86
Premier Member

Just found a helpful bit of advice on a forum from someone who did an engine swap recently. They had to get a VIC test done from VOSA to prove the work that was done and then send everything and the V5 changes to DVLA. Then wait 10 months for DVLA to get around to it lol.

Edit - even better! VIC test centre is only 10 minutes from my new address when I move! Woo Hoo!!

Car Photos

Last edited by Matt86; Feb 12th, 2014 at 19:22.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matt86 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 20:25   #29
skyship007
Premier Member

Cool

Matt86:
From what I've worked out though from reading through everything it should just require a VIC test to confirm it's safe and legal for road use which will I can't imagine it will need an engineering survey by Volvo by any means.

Has this mod been certified before?? If it has then it would be registered by the, "Job Creation Scheme" section, or in the adjacent, "Money to Burn" department. That means normal fees, BUT if not, this project is going to be a real money earner for the UK government and insurance folks, IF the weight or C of G are out of limits. If it is too far out to be corrected, then it could be time for a bag of cement in the boot, which would not look good on an MOT certificate!

I know a chap up the road who is a full time Modder and although he does now know what he is doing, his first attempt was an old Porsche 911 he got with a blown engine and kaput gearbox. He transfered some type of heavy crashed VW block and box into it. The paperwork cost him more than the parts and when he finished everything, the TUV inspector attached a speed limit sticker for 100 kmph to both ends and his insurance companies cover note listed the same big truck speed limit!

Oddly enough I did some flying for a US company that replaced fully certified Porsche turbos that were detuned from 270 hp to 240 hp (Gearbox limit) with 300 hp Continentals with Hoffman props. It cost them nearly a million dollars to get the engine and box certified, as the FAA engineers dragged their heels because of the complex paperwork. In the end that program turned out to be a waste of money, as although it did offer better performance, what the users wanted was an RPV with better endurance, not payload, so they had to start again using Centurion 350 hp diesels. That turned out to be another error because of the short life of the gearboxes and now they are going to fit 750 hp PT6 turbines and bigger fuel tanks. It's in the Cardington hangar at present and should fly late this year IF all goes well with some interesting mods and the CAA.

Everyone should DYOR (Do Your Own Research)

Last edited by skyship007; Feb 12th, 2014 at 20:43.
skyship007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 12th, 2014, 20:37   #30
Matt86
Premier Member

In the UK if an engine number or cylinder capacity is changed then you need to provide a V5 changed of vehicle form with evidence. The evidence only needs to be:

a receipt for the replacement engine (From a VAT registered garage)
written evidence from the manufacturer
an inspection report provided for insurance purposes
written confirmation on headed paper from a garage (if the change took place before you bought the vehicle)

if the fuel is changed then you need to provide:

your existing engine is converted – the confirmation must be on headed paper from the garage that did the work
a new engine is fitted – provide the receipt as confirmation

If you change the weight of a large vehicle (eg a camper van), you’ll need to provide either:
a plating certificate
a design weight certificate

I can not imagine the weight will change much if at all seeing as I'm removing the engine from a V40 into another V40... I'll check the V5s at some point as they've been packed but I'm sure the weight's are around the same so the weight won't be a problem at all.

Because I'm doing the work on this myself then I'll need to have a VIC done from VOSA which'll be the evidence I need to provide to the DVLA. They don't care on what I've actually done. They only need to know the vehicle can move under it's own power as it must be MOT'd before the VIC and the MOT proves that it's legally safe to drive on UK roads. - They couldn't give a stuff about the weight difference but as I said - I doubt the weight is that different. I'm sure if someone here has a V40 1.9D and a V40 1.8 they could grab the weight off there V5?

Car Photos