Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

2004 V40 1.9TD air-con compressor bypass

Views : 3631

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old May 19th, 2015, 20:47   #1
jongriff

Default 2004 V40 1.9TD air-con compressor bypass

hi,

im new here and hoping you can help! I just bought a 2004 V40 1.9 turbo diesel and the air-con compressor is seized and the pulley makes a hell of a racket. I cant afford to replace it so I am hoping to bypass the compressor for now by fitting a smaller aux-drive belt. I have read on here that it is possible to do but have found no info as to what size of belt is required.

I found on here a document stating the procedure to replace the belt which is helpful, but i am wondering what is the best way to route the new shorter belt to avoid the compressor? I have attached a drawing, the black is the new route and the grey is the original path of the belt. is this the best way? and if so does anyone know what sort of size belt is required? my original plan was to use the belt off a non-ac car but it looks like the power steering pump is in a different place so would be the wrong size. Any information as to what belt would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

jg
jongriff is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jongriff For This Useful Post:
Old May 19th, 2015, 21:30   #2
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongriff View Post
hi,

im new here and hoping you can help! I just bought a 2004 V40 1.9 turbo diesel and the air-con compressor is seized and the pulley makes a hell of a racket. I cant afford to replace it so I am hoping to bypass the compressor for now by fitting a smaller aux-drive belt. I have read on here that it is possible to do but have found no info as to what size of belt is required.

I found on here a document stating the procedure to replace the belt which is helpful, but i am wondering what is the best way to route the new shorter belt to avoid the compressor? I have attached a drawing, the black is the new route and the grey is the original path of the belt. is this the best way? and if so does anyone know what sort of size belt is required? my original plan was to use the belt off a non-ac car but it looks like the power steering pump is in a different place so would be the wrong size. Any information as to what belt would be very helpful!

Thanks in advance!

jg
Using your method the belt would slide past the alternator pulley, rapidly wear and break wrecking your engine ... , note the original wrap around ...
surely you can find a used pump for £50 and swap it without getting it refilled , i'm sure an AC centre would be pleased to take your gas out for free and re use it .
Old May 19th, 2015, 22:55   #3
Biotoxic
Master Member

Cool

Hi. If it is a 115 or 105 hp engine then the belt comes/goes from Crankshaft pulley--->under belt tensioner--->power steering---->Alternator--->fixed pulley, belt goes over that pulley if you look at it straight on and then back to Crankshaft pulley.
The belt that you have at the moment is called auxiliary equipment belt. If you are looking for a by-pass then it is normal belt, make sure you state that you dont need the aux one.

More info here: Blast from the past
Regarding suitable belt of the shelf, you need to try few belts before you will find the right one. Or just ask the mechanic to find a suitable belt for it, if he will be a decent guy he will get a job done.

P.S. The cat forgot to add some information at the end of the "blast from the past" thread, booooo.....
P.S.2 Hi Clan, long time no see, how's the car doing?

Last edited by Biotoxic; May 19th, 2015 at 23:06.
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 19th, 2015, 23:29   #4
v40alex
I do like a V40

Someone posted about this very recently, 6PK1310 worked for them.
http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?p=1915972
Old May 20th, 2015, 11:11   #5
jongriff

thanks for your help.

Biotoxic: mine is a D4192T3 engine i think, so the 115hp one. The route that you mention is the same as the image I have drawn, and this works on your car? Clan says that it would just rub the alternator and break but i cant see that it could be routed any other way.

alex: thanks for the link, very helpful, i notice that his car was a 2001, not sure if thats the same engine?
Old May 20th, 2015, 17:33   #6
clarkey1984
Premier Member

I might be wrong, but as it is, surely the alternator would be spinning the wrong way?

EDIT: I am wrong, oops.
Old May 20th, 2015, 23:32   #7
Biotoxic
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jongriff View Post
thanks for your help.

Biotoxic: mine is a D4192T3 engine i think, so the 115hp one. The route that you mention is the same as the image I have drawn, and this works on your car? Clan says that it would just rub the alternator and break but i cant see that it could be routed any other way.
Yes, I had the same engine... and yes, everything worked fine but it does look strange
Biotoxic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 23rd, 2015, 17:43   #8
jongriff

just an update for anyone searching for this issue in the future!, i fitted a new belt and the car is running great. i used a 6PK1275 and followed the route that i drew above. All working great, the alternator is spinning fine too. Thanks for all the help!

jg
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to jongriff For This Useful Post:
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 17:56   #9
cbarrow

Default another air con bypass needed

My much used and stalwart V40 1.9 Diesel (04 plate - 215k miles) has got a knackered air con compressor which has also stripped the belt (I wondered what the smell was). I'd like to keep the car running for another year, but do so as economically as possible. I've been looking up threads about bypassing the air con compressor. Grateful for any advice on how people have got on with bypassing it? Have there been any long term problems, or has it thrown or destroyed the bypass belt? I was thinking of using a 6PK1275 as the previous poster suggested. Many thanks in advance
cbarrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 10th, 2017, 18:38   #10
bobthecabbage
Premier Member

Will the pulley not freewheel?

If it does you could just remove the fuse or disconnect the wire to the AC compressor.

The wire would be my choice just in case someone decides to replace any blown fuses and lunches your engine!

Disconnect it and tape it up and possibly cut the plug off the compressor side so it can't be reconnected.