Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

V60 D4 Estate or BMW Efficient Dynamics

Views : 1962

Replies : 28

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 20th, 2018, 21:50   #11
scoobysn7x
Premier Member

Last service on my V60 at a local Volvo Indy garage £195 including aux belt replacement, my girlfriends service on her v60 at same garage £124
scoobysn7x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 22:21   #12
dhr90

Take a look at real world user submitted fuel figures on honestjohn. I found it useful when looking for my car.

As for servicing costs, depends if we are talking just parts, parts and labour, main dealer or local independent? I was recently quoted £840 for discs and pads on my D5 v60 at a main dealer, Halfords want £700 and that isn't even Volvo parts. Suspect a good indie would be a lot less.
Old Nov 20th, 2018, 22:22   #13
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUKSW View Post
Thanks for the responses.

I will test drive if I can but before doing that I wanted to at least ascertain if it was even worth me looking at this particular vehicle.

Test drives won't give me the sort of MPG I will actually experience (unless I borrow it for some time to do a number of work runs) or tell me what the servicing is in comparison to a beemer, hence the original questions I asked.

I was hoping that the quoted MPGs could be used relative to each other so if my beemer's quoted MPG is X and the Volvo's quoted is Y then, regardless of whether both values match the actual figures, I could expect my MPG to be better off accordingly. My initial figures suggest I could save £900 a year on fuel and tax alone but if Volvo's figures are a lot less reliable than BMW's figures then the way I am comparing is pointless!

Is it condition based servicing on the Volvo or at intervals?

If I look at my BMW independent garage bills I'm seeing:

- oil change and filter £128
- front brake pads and discs change £285
- MOT with brake fluid replace £86

What sort of costs involved for typical service items?

Thanks

Dan
Have you actually compared the fuel figures on the government web site ? A real 70 mpg average from a bmw seems remarkable to be honest .. they do not quote average figures on the web site official figures .

There are two services which alternate each time 18000 miles and 36000 miles the 18000 is a smaller service about £240 and the 36000 service which is an extra £100 or so depending on the area . The oil is a unique volvo specification 0w/20 which must be used . With the volvo service you get the latest software updates and free breakdown cover .
Brakes are around the same as you quote , front pads can last 40000 - 50000 miles , rear pads do not last as long if you ae a gentle driver as the brake distribution sets a lot of braking to the rear under such circumstances , but around 25000 - 40000 on average .. but obviously it varies depending on how you drive .

The rice gap between dealer prices and independents is reducing every year ...
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 07:31   #14
DanUKSW

Thanks again for the replies.

I did not know about the government website until you mentioned, I shall Google it and have a gander to make some comparisons. I don't think I quoted a beemer as doing 70mpg unless you are rounding up the quoted 65.7mpg.

I did have a brief look at the Honest John website but there was nothing conclusive for me.

The servicing costs don't look too scary and it appears I have a Volvo indie in close proximity to the beemer Indie I use.

Thanks

Dan
DanUKSW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 11:09   #15
Craig S

You might also want to factor in the likely cost of £1000 every 2 years to replace your EGR/Cooler on your Volvo D4 once it gets beyond 4 years old as the Volvo dealer network seems not to care beyond 4 years old from my experience. (Thats for the 2.0 VEA D4 - around 2014 - the ones with the £0 Road Tax)

Last edited by Craig S; Nov 21st, 2018 at 13:05. Reason: clarifying model of D4
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 14:25   #16
DanUKSW

Ouch...is that meant to be that way and is it something an indie might do quite a bit cheaper?
Old Nov 21st, 2018, 20:04   #17
DanUKSW

I found the government website and another one that draws from the same data (just to double check!) and got exactly the same figures that Autotrader uses i.e the ones I originally quoted.

After looking a bit more at Honest John the Volvo comes off worse for accuracy i.e. 70% odd as opposed to 80% odd for the beemers. Being that I now know about the EGR fault that appears to have no real cure, apart from an ongoing one (!), I think I better stick to what I know. This is a shame, as it reminds me of hankering for a Mazda RX8 only to learn that the engines typically fail as it nears the 100k...this feels the same but not as expensive!

Thanks for all the replies, most helpful in getting me to a conclusion finally!

Dan
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 07:36   #18
DanUKSW

Before I completely throw the towel in, does the D5 suffer the same problem?
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 10:00   #19
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanUKSW View Post
Before I completely throw the towel in, does the D5 suffer the same problem?
Only the 4 cylinder the 5 cylinder is fine but less economical . The egr problems are mostly solved now and if the car has been serviced by volvo their good will is pretty good if the warranty has passed . There are many of these engines which have never had this problem as well ! Remember a place like this is worst scenario where all the problem cars gravitate to .
Old Nov 22nd, 2018, 10:03   #20
Craig S

Prior to my D4 I had a 2010 V70 D5 with over 140k miles on the clock and it never had any EGR issues at all, so yes the D5's are much more reliable than the 0 Road Tax D4's.

Don't know if they have finally gotten to the bottom of why the D4 is such a pile of c@#p compared with the previous engines.
Craig S is offline   Reply With Quote