Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General > 200 Series Sales

Notices

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Gauge pod for 240

Views : 1255

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Apr 18th, 2009, 18:46   #1
johnjp
Master Member

Default Gauge pod for 240

seen on e-bay:
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/VOLVO-240-81-9...3A1|240%3A1318
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to johnjp For This Useful Post:
Old Apr 18th, 2009, 23:23   #2
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Thumbs down

Sorry, I thought this was a forum for selling parts, not a place to advertise auction sites.
Andrew (UK) is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20th, 2009, 13:46   #3
johnjp
Master Member

Just putting it up for enthusiasts.
Not aware that linking to an auction site is not within the rules, but correct me if I am wrong!
johnjp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 00:37   #4
jonah

Lightbulb

Fancy putting up a link to some Volvo parts that someone might actually be interested in....

For God's sake John, don't do it again, you wouldn't want to get people round here all excited now!
jonah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 09:33   #5
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

My search on eBay for 200 series parts currently returns 1,614 items. Should I repost all of them here? If everyone cross posts stuff from other sites then everyone loses out, you can't sort out what is different and what's a duplicate. This is not an auction site, it works on a different basis, it is in effect a competitor to eBay. Would you post a link to an offer at Sainsburys on Tesco's site? If people want to buy stuff on eBay, they can visit eBay themselves. If that's too much trouble just set up a saved search to email them with new items. There are people who won't buy or sell on eBay, this site gives them the ability to make contact and negotiate an agreeable deal. Lets not drown out such posts with duplicates of information that is easily available elsewhere. You may say that one post is not going to drown anything out, which is true. But where then do you draw the line? eBay is growing and there will only be more such posts over time. It's a lot easier to nip it in the bud than it is to chop down a sprawling forest.
All I want is to keep focussed. Post stuff that you personally have for sale and let other sites get on with what they do on their own.
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 10:32   #6
jonah

Sorry, but if the 200 series section on here was busy you might have a point, but it isn't, so you're just being awkward for the sake of it.

John didn't post up a link to a 240 ball joint, or an oil filter, neither was he trying to stir up interest in something he was selling for financial gain, it was a genuinely rare part that a 240 enthusiast might be interested in. You know the Volvo 240? One of the reasons this site exists...
Old Apr 23rd, 2009, 21:17   #7
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonah View Post
Sorry, but if the 200 series section on here was busy you might have a point, but it isn't, so you're just being awkward for the sake of it.

John didn't post up a link to a 240 ball joint, or an oil filter, neither was he trying to stir up interest in something he was selling for financial gain, it was a genuinely rare part that a 240 enthusiast might be interested in. You know the Volvo 240? One of the reasons this site exists...
Rare? You can buy them new from the dealer for about the price that that one sold for...

I have more to do in life than just read the 200 series section and I don't often have enough time to do that. Cross posting is considered a breach of etiquette in many forums around the net.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 01:28   #8
jonah

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew (UK) View Post
Rare? You can buy them new from the dealer for about the price that that one sold for...
Well, I can only go by what I'm told, but the nice man at my local Volvo dealer says the part is no longer available and there is no stock at any dealer in the UK. Unless you know something different, I'd say that makes it a rare part?

Quote:
I have more to do in life than just read the 200 series section and I don't often have enough time to do that.
It didn't stop you finding the time to needlessly criticise another members post, when he was simply making other like minded enthusiasts aware of a potentially desirable part.

Quote:
Cross posting is considered a breach of etiquette in many forums around the net.
Try wearing the common sense hat a bit more, instead of the jobsworth one.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 09:18   #9
Andrew (UK)
VOC Member

Quote:
Well, I can only go by what I'm told, but the nice man at my local Volvo dealer says the part is no longer available and there is no stock at any dealer in the UK. Unless you know something different, I'd say that makes it a rare part?
OK being NLA is news, but they were certainly not NLA when I bought mine a few years ago. Also NLA is not necessarily the same as rare.

Quote:
It didn't stop you finding the time to needlessly criticise another members post, when he was simply making other like minded enthusiasts aware of a potentially desirable part.
Needlessly? Well that is a matter of opinion. I thought there was a need to stop this forum degenerating. This is why I am investing my time here. I value this forum and think that it is very useful. I can and do buy stuff on eBay. I would just like to get something different from the time I spend on this forum. Reading cross posts is just a waste of time. Once this forum has become simply a place for duplicating information from other sites then it will have lost any reason to exist.

Quote:
Try wearing the common sense hat a bit more, instead of the jobsworth one.
Instead of casting insults you might like to consider why it is thought a breach of etiquette? These ideas are not just formulated to spoil everyone's fun they have been put together over time to make it easier for everyone to get along.
Old Apr 25th, 2009, 10:42   #10
Roger Jennings
VOC Member

I would like to request that jonah and Andrew(UK) both cease from carrying this dispute any further as it starting to get out of hand. There is no rule about referencing another site to draw users attention to what may or may not be a rare item and whilst we can all search for things that are sought after it may be possible that some 'get away'. So lets leave it there please. Should cross referencing become an issue or a problem then it will be dealt with by the forum support team accordingly.
Thank you
Roger
Roger Jennings is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Roger Jennings For This Useful Post: