Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Weak Headlights - Contact Volvo

Views : 60690

Replies : 293

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 28th, 2017, 14:42   #241
FunkyMelon
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadow27 View Post
They may replace the ballast at their expense but will not replace your windshield wiper motor. I suggest reading through the issues outlined in https://www.skbowe.com/a/issues/ before installing your kit - the manufacturer is almost certainly not familiar with the details of our cars.
I've had the same kit running in my car (HIDS4U 55W Stealth kit) for the best part of a year running whenever the car starts (done 15k since installed) and they've been absolutely fine.

Happy to remain as guinea pig but they seem fine to me
FunkyMelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11th, 2017, 16:45   #242
V50France

Thumbs up Very Grateful for your reported experience FunkyMelon

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyMelon View Post
I've had the same kit running in my car (HIDS4U 55W Stealth kit) for the best part of a year running whenever the car starts (done 15k since installed) and they've been absolutely fine.

Happy to remain as guinea pig but they seem fine to me
I found your report on your experience with the Stealth HID kit and was very encouraged. It gives me more cause for optimism than the feedback I got from the supplier. My kit is the 35w but I am very pleased with the performance. Driving with LHD headlights in the UK - after the HID fitment but with the levers set to remove the "foreign" kick-up - I got no flashes from other drivers. So I believe the combination is acceptable to other road users, which is VERY important. I have added dedicated earths for the kit in the hope that I can avoid the wiper motor issues, although the supplier suggested they should not be a problem. Re-earthing is a small task. I will update if I get any problems.
Cheers
V50France is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 13:55   #243
Bigskip

Stuck some Osram Nightbreakers in my C70 last night, MOT mechanic adjusted the lights up, suddenly i feel safe at night :-).
Bigskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 21:41   #244
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigskip View Post
Stuck some Osram Nightbreakers in my C70 last night, MOT mechanic adjusted the lights up, suddenly i feel safe at night :-).
I think you will find it is the adjusting up that did the trick
Old Dec 20th, 2017, 22:59   #245
volvo for ever
Premier Member

are osram nightbreaker bulbs any good wheres best place to get them
volvo for ever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 21st, 2017, 11:23   #246
Bigskip

Quote:
Originally Posted by volvo for ever View Post
are osram nightbreaker bulbs any good wheres best place to get them
I bought them on line from a bulb supplier - can't find receipt.

Try Ebay, but get proper Night Breaker Unlimited.

Found it.

www.powerbulbs.com

Last edited by Bigskip; Dec 21st, 2017 at 12:19.
Bigskip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 18:59   #247
Yorkieuk666

Hi,
I’m new to this forum. I have a 2006 C70 T5 fully loaded including Bi Xenon.
I spent a few weeks reading reviews on the model before getting the right spec I wanted. I love the car including all its quirks however the head lighting is really bad. Like with many of the previous comments I thought better of VOLVO.
I will be cleaning the projectors during my festive holiday and may change the bulbs if not much better.
I found driving on the A1M at night with no road lights in places was pretty dangerous, and I’ve been driving over 30 years. So I just ended up following other cars so they can light the way!
The other flaw is no manual level control. Even the basic cars have these.
Which are the best bulbs to get?

Thanks in advance
Yorkieuk666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 19:06   #248
Clan
Experienced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yorkieuk666 View Post
Hi,
I’m new to this forum. I have a 2006 C70 T5 fully loaded including Bi Xenon.
I spent a few weeks reading reviews on the model before getting the right spec I wanted. I love the car including all its quirks however the head lighting is really bad. Like with many of the previous comments I thought better of VOLVO.
I will be cleaning the projectors during my festive holiday and may change the bulbs if not much better.
I found driving on the A1M at night with no road lights in places was pretty dangerous, and I’ve been driving over 30 years. So I just ended up following other cars so they can light the way!
The other flaw is no manual level control. Even the basic cars have these.
Which are the best bulbs to get?

Thanks in advance
You already have the best lights , Bi-Xenon , your problem is most likely the aim is too low , get them raised to highest position within the limits , There is no raising/lowering knob because the lights are self leveling ..
When you have them apart clean the lens and check the top of the reflector silver has not burned off .
Old Dec 26th, 2017, 21:45   #249
phil1968
Master Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
You already have the best lights , Bi-Xenon , your problem is most likely the aim is too low , get them raised to highest position within the limits , There is no raising/lowering knob because the lights are self leveling ..
When you have them apart clean the lens and check the top of the reflector silver has not burned off .
Yep that's exactly what I did with mine, cleaned the projector lenses & raised the aim up to MOT maximum -made a hell of a difference.

2008 C70 D5 SE Lux Nav Geartronic
phil1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28th, 2017, 17:28   #250
scooby

had a hid kit on mine for 8 years never had a problem but did run earth wires did not use the factory earth
scooby is offline   Reply With Quote