Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General

Notices

S60 & V60 '11-'18 / XC60 '09-'17 General Forum for the P3-platform 60-series models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Are XC60 owners happy?

Views : 135705

Replies : 495

Users Viewing This Thread :  

View Poll Results: Are you happy with your XC60?
Overall happy, no significant issues 441 64.66%
Overall happy, but minor issues 188 27.57%
Unhappy, significant issues 35 5.13%
Very unhappy, never again 18 2.64%
Voters: 682. You may not vote on this poll

Old Jun 30th, 2010, 09:17   #51
GrahamTB

Default Ride comfort and breakdown

[QUOTE=Dude;673488]A number of responses to my original post. It's on 17" rims (Conti Cross Contact 235/65) and was originally at 37+ psi cold. The ride did dampen out a little when I dropped it to as low as I dare (the book figure is 35 psi unladen) and I'm trying it at 32-33 (I can't think why it's so high - the bigger the tyres, the less pressure is required for the same weight, and my XC70 runs at 32 on 215/65 16" - noticably smaller wheels). In the end I run tyre pressures based on wear patterns (centre vs outsides), so we'll see.

I have only covered 250 miles on the same tyres as above and I agree that on some badly maintained road surfaces the suspension makes the ride very uncomfortable. I have also recuced the tyre pressures down to 32-33, but it does not make any real difference to the ride. On smoother roads the car rides smoothly and serenely and is a joy to drive.

Why is it that we cannot have the softer suspension enjoyed in the USA. Is it because our roads are generally not as straight as theirs, many still following the position of the original lanes and farm tracks?

I am still waiting to hear what Volvo propose to do about the fact the car ran out of fuel and stopped with the tank still 1/4 full.

I am slowly finding where there has been cost cutting on the MY11 model. So far it is; no heated front seats (SE Lux); no fog lights; no compass in rear view mirror. Has anyone noticed anything else?

I realise the engine is not run in yet, but has anyone noticed that their engine seems to labour at around 30 - 40 miles an hour? Could it be that the automatic gear ratios have been changed to improve fuel consumption? The recorded average MPG is 40.1 at the moment on mixed driving around town and on open roads.

I chose the electric silver colour and I am already having people say "that's a smart car, what is it?" I am sure it looks even smarter in a dark colour, but I do not have the time to wash it every few days. The "What is it" proves there are not many to be seen on the roads.

MY11 XC60 D5 AWD SE LUX Premium Geartronic
GrahamTB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:04   #52
Daleman
Master Member

[QUOTE=GrahamTB;696664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
A number of responses to my original post. It's on 17" rims (Conti Cross Contact 235/65) and was originally at 37+ psi cold. The ride did dampen out a little when I dropped it to as low as I dare (the book figure is 35 psi unladen) and I'm trying it at 32-33 (I can't think why it's so high - the bigger the tyres, the less pressure is required for the same weight, and my XC70 runs at 32 on 215/65 16" - noticably smaller wheels). In the end I run tyre pressures based on wear patterns (centre vs outsides), so we'll see.

I have only covered 250 miles on the same tyres as above and I agree that on some badly maintained road surfaces the suspension makes the ride very uncomfortable. I have also recuced the tyre pressures down to 32-33, but it does not make any real difference to the ride. On smoother roads the car rides smoothly and serenely and is a joy to drive.

Why is it that we cannot have the softer suspension enjoyed in the USA. Is it because our roads are generally not as straight as theirs, many still following the position of the original lanes and farm tracks?

I am still waiting to hear what Volvo propose to do about the fact the car ran out of fuel and stopped with the tank still 1/4 full.

I am slowly finding where there has been cost cutting on the MY11 model. So far it is; no heated front seats (SE Lux); no fog lights; no compass in rear view mirror. Has anyone noticed anything else?

I realise the engine is not run in yet, but has anyone noticed that their engine seems to labour at around 30 - 40 miles an hour? Could it be that the automatic gear ratios have been changed to improve fuel consumption? The recorded average MPG is 40.1 at the moment on mixed driving around town and on open roads.

I chose the electric silver colour and I am already having people say "that's a smart car, what is it?" I am sure it looks even smarter in a dark colour, but I do not have the time to wash it every few days. The "What is it" proves there are not many to be seen on the roads.

They altered the specification but I wouldn’t call it cost cutting. I think you get power hatch and included Bluetooth plus one or two other bits that were extras on model year 2010.

The compass was not popular and in my brief test drive last winter I can understand why as I found it distracting.

That fuel consumption of 40mpg for a New D5 sounds brilliant to me.

I was warned by the salesman that nothing is accurate on the information panel until the computer has acquired all the information it needs to give accurate readings which takes about 500 miles.

Last edited by Daleman; Jun 30th, 2010 at 10:24.
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:22   #53
GrahamTB

Daleman, point taken about the powered tailgate and Bluetooth, but these were included after the MY11 price increase. It would be helpful if you were told what items had been removed, not find out once the car is delivered.

To be fair, if you made up a detailed spreadsheet you could then see what has been removed.

It would be interesting to know if the gear ratios have been changed on the automatic (and manual) MY11 model to achieve the improved fuel economy, or have they adjusted the engine management - or both?
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 10:52   #54
Daleman
Master Member

I had the 2010 model on order but then had to re order a 2011 model (due to a dealer **** up) so I studied the spec a bit at the time and I think the electric seats were removed from the SE on model year change .I think they are still in the premium though.

Allot of the problems and disappointments are caused by dealer lack of communication to customers. If you had a 2010 on order and its spec was changed due to 2011 model year they should have gone through the new spec with you really to be right with you.

Don’t know about the gearing but they did state that the D5 had been reworked for 2011 with improved fuel consumption. If yours is doing 40MPG straight off with a new “tight” engine that sounds really good to me most folk were getting low 30s from new on D5s
Daleman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 13:27   #55
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daleman View Post
Don’t know about the gearing but they did state that the D5 had been reworked for 2011 with improved fuel consumption. If yours is doing 40MPG straight off with a new “tight” engine that sounds really good to me most folk were getting low 30s from new on D5s
I have to say I find that low 40s MPG on a D5 sounds amazing - or even highly improbable? My old v70 which was only 163bhp struggled to give 40plus and the XC60 (205) D5s seem to sit around the low-mid 30s (mine is 33.5, and that is being gentle)

If someone is getting 40 plus I would love to know how they are doing it - new engine or old engine.
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 13:50   #56
GrahamTB

Quote:
Originally Posted by wimorrison View Post
I have to say I find that low 40s MPG on a D5 sounds amazing - or even highly improbable? My old v70 which was only 163bhp struggled to give 40plus and the XC60 (205) D5s seem to sit around the low-mid 30s (mine is 33.5, and that is being gentle)

If someone is getting 40 plus I would love to know how they are doing it - new engine or old engine.
Watch this space, I will let you know if I continue to achieve 40MPG. Perhaps that is why my engine stopped - its not drawing enough fuel, but is very economical!!!
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 14:04   #57
oldsteve
VOC Member

Just a thought

Obviously the true economy will only be confirmed with a brim to brim manual calculation.

But, if it turns out that your indicated MPG reading is significantly more optimistic than most owners experience, maybe it could be related to your earlier issue with indicated fuel tank level?

Please keep us informed

Steve

Last edited by oldsteve; Jun 30th, 2010 at 14:07.
oldsteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30th, 2010, 20:10   #58
Teejay1
Master Member

[QUOTE=GrahamTB;696664]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dude View Post
A number of responses to my original post. It's on 17" rims (Conti Cross Contact 235/65) and was originally at 37+ psi cold. The ride did dampen out a little when I dropped it to as low as I dare (the book figure is 35 psi unladen) and I'm trying it at 32-33 (I can't think why it's so high - the bigger the tyres, the less pressure is required for the same weight, and my XC70 runs at 32 on 215/65 16" - noticably smaller wheels). In the end I run tyre pressures based on wear patterns (centre vs outsides), so we'll see.

The differences are failry clear, however, you do need to have both model year brochures to hand and study them. I think they not only removed the compass but the humidity sensor in the mirrow since its omitted from the tech spec of the 2011. For me and at least one other lady on this forum the change worked out to pretty even or £90 as I recall she said.
Teejay1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1st, 2010, 21:16   #59
wimorrison
Grumpy Old Sod

[QUOTE=Teejay1;697010]
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrahamTB View Post

..the humidity sensor in the mirrow since its omitted from the tech spec of the 2011...
What is this humidity sensor that you speak of? My mirror has the annoying compass (I know you can get rid of it, just can't be bothered), but nowt else.

Am I missing some whizzy wig that I have but don't yet know about
wimorrison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6th, 2010, 23:56   #60
JNeail

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vecais View Post
The forums tend to focus on issues and problems. I am happy with my XC60 and have no problems. Anyone else?
Yes, very happy with my MY10 SE 2.4 Drive (D5 on engine cover under bonnet?) - Only a couple of issues:

1. Bluetooth interface/phone address book management is poor - see my post on this (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...35&postcount=2)

2. iPod interface is also poor, and worse since the Apple iOS4.0 upgrade, again see my posted comments on that here (http://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showpo...9&postcount=17)

Would add that the fuel economy seems to be getting worse now I've got a few miles on the clock (May 2010 Delivery, now at 5K miles). Started at an average of 55Mpg now at 33Mph at best - but reading on this site that this is common?

Even love the colour - Terra Bronze, despite a few comments from my so called mates ;-)

Wouldn’t say I was a fan-boy, but this is my 4th consecutive Volvo in a row after a selection of other lessor branded vehicles; previous Volvo's have been S40 SE 1.8, S40 D5 SE Sport, C70 SE and now my beloved XC60 :-)

Cheers
Jay
JNeail is offline   Reply With Quote