Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GAP Insurance - Where from?

Views : 4214

Replies : 8

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 26th, 2007, 21:28   #1
Razer

Default GAP Insurance - Where from?

So as others have noted the dealer wants £500 for GAP insurance, can anyone recommend a reputable place to get some?

Thanks
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 22:22   #2
Viper_7
Premier Member

I'd avoid it...... if you can.

but if you have no choice - try here..

http://www.click4gap.co.uk/

most mainline insurance companies will provide GAP insurance as well though for not much more on your premium.
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.

Last edited by Viper_7; Jan 26th, 2007 at 22:26.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 26th, 2007, 23:30   #3
Tony g6hbq
VOC Member

Try this as well

http://www.surfandprotect.com/motor/...ce/default.asp
Tony g6hbq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 01:04   #4
akash

500 quid for how many years?

Ive bought 3 volvos now and each had GAP on it... I paid hardly nothing for the first one (150 i think) and the second and third was about 350

500 is way too much

note that mine was GAP + Body protection... its some sort of coat on your car body which acts as a protector against the weather and what not.. followed by a bag of valeting goodies which normally costs a hell of a lot when bought on its own

Even for my vauxhall astra, i paid about 250 for 3 years
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 09:34   #5
Razer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper_7 View Post
I'd avoid it...... if you can.

but if you have no choice - try here..

http://www.click4gap.co.uk/

most mainline insurance companies will provide GAP insurance as well though for not much more on your premium.
Why do you say avoid it out of curiosity? knowing what insurance company payouts are like (always short!) surely it makes sense?

Do you mean on your annual car insurance premium?
Razer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 10:57   #6
Viper_7
Premier Member

sorry , I regretted posting that as soon as I wrote it...

Gap insurance covers the monies that are still owing to your finance company/bank that the payout for the actual car may not cover - due to interest rates etc.

What I was getting at as I know your totally aware of - hence why I regret posting it is to pay for the car!

Sorry, I'm just one of those peeps who hate buying anything on finance/loans I'd rather wait/ miss out than take a loan out etc. But of course we would all like to just pay for it all in one go, but sometimes can't due to unforeseen circumstances and of course not stretching oneself unduly financially.

or are you looking at the replacement Gap insurance?

Whenever I've had any experience with insurance regarding haggling over the payout - for my dad!
We always put the onus on them... £500 you say for my car - ok - you show me where you can buy a replacement vehicle of the same model/age/condition for £500 no... you can't right then! make me a more sensible offer . etc!
sure it's not a new for old policy - but it's still insuring the asset value of your vehicle - ie what you would get for it if you had put it on the market.

Vipes :-(
Mods:
Volvo Tax disc holder - increases power output by 5%
Child Seat
Rear and side Volvo fitted blinds.
Tree Sap from May - July.
Removed at least 46 cup holders for weight reduction.

Last edited by Viper_7; Jan 27th, 2007 at 11:02.
Viper_7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 11:48   #7
Gareths306
Premier Member

how does the gap insurance actually work? we took it out for £300 when the mrs bought her ford streetka... they said it covers you for 3 months. i said i wanted to pay the car off within 6 months of purchase, she said if you take out the gap, if you car gets written off within 3 years you get the full amount back regardless whether any money is owed on the car or not.
Gareths306 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 27th, 2007, 17:07   #8
b1g1an

If the car is written off within the insured period, the company you have the GAP insurance with will pay out the difference between what your normal car insurance company pay out and what you paid for the car. The odds of having a new car written off within that period are tiny but if it gives you peace of mind...
b1g1an is offline   Reply With Quote