Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S80 '98-'06 / S60 '00-'09 / V70 & XC70 '00-'07 General Forum for the P2-platform S60 / V70 / XC70 / S80 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Suddenly just died

Views : 955

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 22nd, 2014, 15:17   #1
100K+
Premier Member

Default Suddenly just died

On the way home today the engine died - classic symptoms of run out of petrol/snapped timing belt - both of which I have suffered - different Volvo.
No issues immediatly before or even hint that it was about to stop - just cut out.
Tried to restart but not even a cough after some 10 seconds of very quick churning over.
Lifted the bonnet and there sounded to be a symphony of whirling and clicking just below the spark plug cover area at the top of the engine.

Went back into the car and about to phone the RAC to come fetch and I decided to give it one last try - and she fires up instantly, and drives home as if the stop had not occured.

I checked for any error codes and DICE showed Front Oxy senor had been an issue, as was an air leak but I'm sure I have had these before and it has never stopped the car, and they were no longer red. No other relevant red codes- windows,siren and air quality.
According to VIDA the revs are never <> 10rpm from standard so I'm thinking its not ETM issues.

Any thoughts Peps??

Cheers

Bob
100K+ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 23rd, 2014, 10:43   #2
100K+
Premier Member

I have read around some on the web and the cluprit could be the fuel pump.
I have not read much on here about petrol fuel pump failures, and I thought such failure would throw a DICE code.

I intend to run with a DICE attached and see if the car grinds to a halt again.If I can monitor fuel pressure, and its the spec 3.8 bar,and the car stops, can I rule out the fuel pump??

Cheers

Bob
The Following User Says Thank You to 100K+ For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 13:33   #3
100K+
Premier Member

It appears that you can't monitor petrol fuel pressure with DICE - been all through the Vehicle Comms/ECM/ parameters.... nothing of any help, unlike what appears to be available for the diesel engines.

Have driven some 200 miles since it cut out and no reoccurance or clue as to cause..... Have now added an EM pulse to the possible causes LOL

Cheers

Bob
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 14:03   #4
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Were you using cruise control at the time?

If so, were you traveling uphill?

If so, clean the boost pressure sensor. Depending on the year, it'll be on the intercooler outlet or the pipe that goes from the intercooler to the throttle.
I had it on mine a few times and it didn't always throw a code or a warning.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 14:57   #5
Bernard333
Premier Member

I have had lots of problems with D5 in tank pumps most I think caused by dirt particles getting through the gauze filter and then the pump stops. The pump in a T5 is virtually the same electric motor as a D5 but the gauze filter is much finer so its one factor which may make them more reliable that they get finer particles going through the motor although diesel is a better lubricant than petrol . Both the petrol and diesel pump motors fail intermittantly and then spring back to life, this is what makes them difficult to diagnose. A stalled rotor on the pump will not blow the fuel pump fuse immediately but the current can rise from a few amps to over 10 amps, it will eventually blow the fuse if the motor does not start again. . Obviously this may not be the cause of your problem but its easy to wire in an ammeter into the supply to the pump, I left one in for three months, a scale of 0 to 20 amps on the meter.
Bernard333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 17:07   #6
100K+
Premier Member

Thanks Martin/Bernard for replies.
Not on cruise but was cruising at about 40mph on a slight uphill - no need to change down from 5th - but will still look out the boost pressure sensor.
Vida show turbo boost @ 980Kpa at idle and upto 1130ish kpa when the throttle is blipped to 4-5000 rpm.
Will look out for the Pump fuse just in case it goes so I know where to look.
Did read that petrol pumps are not generally problematical but the relays are, but a quick fix is to swap over the front fog lamp relay. (This does not take into account getting at the relay board which is behind the dash.

Fuel filter changed about 6/8month ago - quick releasing clips did NOT quick release.A real PIA job.

Really disappointed Vida has no method of logging petrol fuel pressure data.

Cheers

Bob

Last edited by 100K+; Feb 24th, 2014 at 17:10.
Old Feb 24th, 2014, 19:35   #7
Paul240480
Ovlovnut

I am still 'learning' on these newer models, having bought a 2004 V70 last Nov.
So please bear with me if I am up the wrong tree......
I had a complete 'cut out' a few years back on my 850.
It was the fuel pump in that instance.
The fuel pump relay on those is #103. Is it the same on newer models?
If yes, pull it out and bridge terminals 87 & 15 with a paper clip unbent.
If it fires up , relay is stuffed . If no start pump is dead.
As yours ran after I'd err towards the cheaper by far option that it's your relay. If its the pump, then it's game over till its replaced.
Hope this helps, and if the newer models are completely different, forgive me .
http://moncopainmonchien.jimdo.com/
Paul240480 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Paul240480 For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 15:53   #8
100K+
Premier Member

I have seen and been upset by how V70 diesels appear to be able to "read" more live data on DICE/VIDA especially on the fuel related issue I think I have.

Not strictly true - although my 2002 T5 has no live data for the fuel system, save the FP relay (on/off) my 2004 AWD R does - even fuel temperature lol

It appears the younger a car gets the more info is available.

Cheers

Bob
Old Feb 27th, 2014, 16:39   #9
martinrpeachey
Premier Member

Post 2004, they got a better high speed canbus system as well as an upgraded low speed canbus system allowing for better monitoring.

I believe the torque app for android phones is able to give fuel flow/pressure etc.

P.S. if you weren't using cruise control when it went wrong, I doubt the boost pressure sensor is at fault here.
Old Feb 28th, 2014, 11:27   #10
100K+
Premier Member

Thanks Martin, will hunt out the torque app.
Not using cruise when stopped.Has behave faultlessly since then....Hope I'm not speaking too soon.

Cheers

Bob.