Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > S40 / V40 '96-'04 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

S40 / V40 '96-'04 General Forum for the Volvo S40 and V40 (Classic) Series from 1995-2004.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

FUEL CONSUMPTION QUESTION

Views : 1449

Replies : 5

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Nov 15th, 2002, 19:11   #1
NATMAN

Im the new owner of a 1997 (N reg) V40 1.8 SE automatic with 55500 miles on the clock. I am concerned at the moment that my vehicle is drinking the petrol I provide it.
Since two weeks ago:
£35.00 fuel, range 240 miles
£40.00 fuel, range 280 miles
£30.00 fuel, range 220 miles.

Ive just changed vehicles from a Vectra 2.0 GLSi (LPG/Petrol) which was very cheap to run, are the figures above normal or is this really a T4/5 I'm running.
If this is excessive could someone owning a similar model give me some idea of what I should be getty and how I go about improving the MPG.
Thank you
Old Nov 15th, 2002, 20:06   #2
4 forty
VOC Member

Default RE: FUEL CONSUMPTION QUESTION

my s40 1.6 returns 42 mpg on a long run, not exceeding 70mph.
a more acurate way of calculating mpg is to fill the tank right to the top [ obtain a bank loan first!!:-( ] zero the odometer, then fill to the top again after doing say 200 miles, note the ammount of fuel to refill, then divide the litres by the mileage.

paul [4 forty]
4 forty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 16th, 2002, 08:22   #3
Mike Clift

Well comparing running costs of a petrol car to an lpg powered car will clearly not give a very good comparison.

Presumably you do not have the control centre that provides mpg figures?

Not knowing how much you spend per litre makes it difficult to say if you are having a problem.

Can you calculate or estimate an mpg figure over a couple of tank fulls and then compare it to the handbook. If it's widely different post back and we can give some suggestions.

Mike
Old Nov 16th, 2002, 18:18   #4
Ray_T
Ray T

I have a 2.0CD with minor mods to the engine dept and on a run using cruise control at 60 mph am getting 39-40 mpg. Around town 25-28 mpg.
These figures obtained using the trip computer. The car is a 1966 model with 47K miles.

Hope this is of use.
Ray_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 07:58   #5
Mav_UK

1966, a bit of a classic then :), and what low milage for it's age!

Stu
Old Nov 18th, 2002, 11:01   #6
Dan F
Premier Member

£30 of fuel will only put 3/5 of a tank in my car. :-(
You need to (as suggested above I think) zero your trip meter, fill your car up, drive it around until it is 1/4 full and then fill up again. (Same amount of clicks on the pump nozzle as the last time, ;-) )
Then write down the mileage on the trip meter. Write down the amount of litres you have used and convert to gallons and then divide miles by gallons. Simple.
e.g:
You have used 48.67 litres and driven 350 miles. Divide the litres by 4.546 and that will give you 10.91 Gallons.
Divide 350 by 10.91 and you get 32.08 mpg.
This is a pretty accurate way of doing it as long as you use the same criteria to fill up everytime. If you do not have a trip computer then it is a good idea to do this every so often, as sudden increased fuel consumption can indicate various problems with the car. The more you check the earlier you will catch it.

I get 33 out of my T4 on a run with varying, moderate speeds and anything from 22-26 around town depending on how much fun I have. ;-)
That is using Optimax as well.

Cheers,
Dan.
Dan F is offline   Reply With Quote