Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

PV, 120 (Amazon), 1800 General Forum for the Volvo PV, 120 and 1800 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Freebie Amazon project

Views : 19976

Replies : 164

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Sep 30th, 2013, 19:24   #151
jimbo1593
Master Member

It'll make a great addition to the family.
A long way off but will be very interesting to see how you go with tuning the carbs/needles on a lambda. Could go the whole hog and fit megaspark and get it set up on a RR.
jimbo1593 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 21:07   #152
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Not much work going on now that the twins are here, though between nappy changes I did manage to pick up this near perfect dash top.
Another bonus is that Susan has agreed we need a 4 door Amazon as a second car for the twins!

dash top.jpg
Gordon Hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gordon Hunter For This Useful Post:
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 21:33   #153
222s
Amazoniste

Very many congratulations!!! Although will all the babies' gear fit in the boot of an Amazon saloon? It's tight enough getting all the gear for our twins (now 14 months) in an Amazon estate...

Btw, not that it really matters, but that dash top is for the earlier style dash that has the padded continuation sections on the door cappings (the ends are sharper, to allow a closer fit to the sections on the cappings). However I do vaguely recall being told that these early ones don't suffer from cracking as badly as the later version (but I may well be wrong).

Paul - 1967 Amazon 222S B20 o/d Estate & 1961 A-H Sprite Mk2 948cc

WANTED - For '67 Amazon estate - offside rear quarter, preferably new old stock.

Last edited by 222s; Nov 12th, 2013 at 21:43. Reason: grammer error...
222s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12th, 2013, 22:10   #154
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Hi Paul,

Makes sense what you say about the dash top, though I hadn't spotted that. Not too fussed as long as it looks neat. It's a shame you can only get RH drive 123 GT ones new.
A nice estate would be the best option, but they don't come up too often. If the twin buggy will fit in the boot of the two door then a four door will be great for round town. We have the V90 seven seater plus trailer for bigger trips.
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 15:00   #155
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Default £12 for a P!

In my pursuit of detail I think I went a bit too far here and I'm not really happy with the results. I think the original plate might even be better!
At least I can say this was the most expensive 'P' I've ever had!
I bought the new plate from ebay and got a bit carried away buying a new reverse number punch set and an individual letter 'P' to make the new plate as authentic as possible with the letters raised instead of sunken, but as you can see, the results were not really worth the effort!
The new plate is nice and clean, but the letters don't stick out anywhere near as well as the original. They are also a real swine to get to line up neatly. Oh well -another expensive lesson!

VIN-plate--small.jpg
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 15:08   #156
morningstar96

Default amazon

hi gordon

i wish you luck with the car, have you got any spares to sell, namely a gearbox i live about 20 miles from leicester so not that far if you have
morningstar96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 20:09   #157
Derek UK
VOC Member

Was this using just a big hammer Gordon? What did you use as backing? Was wondering if you still had your swing ball screw press (for want of a better description) and could get a controlled thump with that. I'd think that Sven Junior would have a plate jig of some sort, perhaps with a set of top plates for each line but the fixed numbers like the type (sic) were probably one punch.

I looked for these punches after using some standard ones at work but found virtually no choice in the reverse ones compared to the normal ones in either font or size. I suspect you found the same problem and as you say, rather expensive.
Derek UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 15th, 2014, 20:20   #158
swedishandgerman
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Hunter View Post
Not much work going on now that the twins are here, though between nappy changes I did manage to pick up this near perfect dash top.
Another bonus is that Susan has agreed we need a 4 door Amazon as a second car for the twins!

Attachment 67526
Is this something that JUST happens? You join this forum then you have twins?!
1970 Amazon 2-Door
1970 142DL
swedishandgerman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to swedishandgerman For This Useful Post:
Old Jan 19th, 2014, 13:54   #159
pelatigres

Thanks for the experience, I was goiung the same way, and I see is not possible, (vin punch numbers)
thanks
72 1800ES
Gonzalo
Dominica Republic
pelatigres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27th, 2014, 21:54   #160
Gordon Hunter
Ex 1800 Register Keeper

Cracking on and moving towards getting the block and g/box / front x/member back in.
The x/member had the signs of some heavy duty wear on the shock absorber turret. Of I were to fit Bilsteins to the set up without re-enforcing this area, then it wouldn't be long before the metal in this area gets stressed and starts cracking, so I have added extra metal to beef up the support...

Stressed from years of pressure..
Front-xmember-1.jpg

Gas kit and a hammer and dolly to push it back into shape..

front-xmember-2.jpg

Extra layer of steel added to strengthen..

front-xmember-3.jpg

Engine bay shot blasted and ready for more 'Rust Bullet'...

engine-bay-shot-blasted---s.jpg