Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > 200 Series General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

200 Series General Forum for the Volvo 240 and 260 cars

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Restoration Order

Views : 2876

Replies : 40

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Dec 26th, 2022, 22:23   #11
Kirtward

Thanks that’s a great way to think about it.
Kirtward is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kirtward For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 06:15   #12
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirtward View Post
Hi Bob,
Thanks for the reply.
1988 245 GLT, B230E manual, but currently in the boot.
There are a few naturally occurring ventilation holes that will need to be repaired too.
I have a Haynes already and I’m assuming all rubber components will need to be replaced.
Hang on: you don't mean the gearbox is in the boot, do you? I hope I've just misread that.

The motor car looks pretty rough, and I notice someone has sold the wheels, so one might imagine it has already reached its nadir.

Unless you really want to take this on as a significant project and have a great deal of time and/or money I'd recommend a reconnaissance first to see if this will be worthwhile. Once roadworthy with a MoT the motor car would only be worth £1,500, in good condition it might make £3,000. It is really easy to spend £5,000 and all your weekends for a year on the renovation of a motor car like this.

Read Juular's 240 project thread before you start https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312429. Good fortune

Alan

Last edited by Othen; Dec 27th, 2022 at 06:24.
Othen is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Othen For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 08:27   #13
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Othen View Post
Hang on: you don't mean the gearbox is in the boot, do you? I hope I've just misread that.

The motor car looks pretty rough, and I notice someone has sold the wheels, so one might imagine it has already reached its nadir.

Unless you really want to take this on as a significant project and have a great deal of time and/or money I'd recommend a reconnaissance first to see if this will be worthwhile. Once roadworthy with a MoT the motor car would only be worth £1,500, in good condition it might make £3,000. It is really easy to spend £5,000 and all your weekends for a year on the renovation of a motor car like this.

Read Juular's 240 project thread before you start https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=312429. Good fortune

Alan
I would agree, Alan, were it not for the fact that 'Kirtward' did expressly say that he wanted to learn about how his car is put together and how it works. It is undeniably ambitious, but what better way to do so than on a car like this that he already owns and could only improve? I feel sure that he is going into this with his eyes wide open and wish him well in what could be an exciting, if expensive and time consuming, restoration. I would also point to your own excellent thread on the RB as a model on which to base his approach.

Regards, John.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 08:49   #14
Steve 940
Premier Member

Hi 'Kirtward'

Some great points and suggestions made by fellow forum users, and it really comes down to what you want to achieve I think.

As Othen has pointed out, financially, it may well be a proverbial money pit, but then again, if you 'enjoy' working on the car and improving it, then how does one put a price on that and the 'journey'.

Looking at the photos, she does look a bit tired, so I would perhaps suggest a thorough poke around to establish the state of the bodywork, and what needs doing.

From my year or so on the forum, I think generally mechanical issues can be sorted relatively easily, but rust/bodywork is perhaps far harder perhaps to sort. If you can weld already, or willing to buy the kit and learn on the job, then it could be a viable and enjoyable project.

If after a thorough assessment you still want to go for it, then as others have said already, this forum has a wealth of information to assist.

I'd also second Othen's suggestion to read up on Juular's project thread, also one by Burdekin and whilst it's an Amazon thread, the bodywork done is quite amazing
https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=322616

Best of luck with whatever you end up deciding to do.

Cheers
Steve
Steve 940 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Steve 940 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 09:00   #15
Othen
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by john.wigley View Post
I would agree, Alan, were it not for the fact that 'Kirtward' did expressly say that he wanted to learn about how his car is put together and how it works. It is undeniably ambitious, but what better way to do so than on a car like this that he already owns and could only improve? I feel sure that he is going into this with his eyes wide open and wish him well in what could be an exciting, if expensive and time consuming, restoration. I would also point to your own excellent thread on the RB as a model on which to base his approach.

Regards, John.
We are in absolute agreement John, I'm just pointing out to Kirtward that the most important thing with a renovation project is to establish one's aims from the outset. I'm encouraging him to do a thorough reconnaissance now to establish his starting point, and then to write down the target - the bit between may then be costed in terms of money, time, inconvenience and so on to establish whether Kirtward wants to do it. I have heard of many unfinished projects that achieve little more than block the driveway for 3 years until they become scrap.

I'm wondering whether the comparison with the RB project was a fair one John. The RB was a running and riding project with a MoT that I enjoyed improving considerably over 3 years. From Kirtward's description of this motor car as a basket case, I wonder whether Juular's 240 project might be a better model?

I hope Kirtward does take on and complete this project, but it is only fair to alert him to the risks from the outset.

Old Dec 27th, 2022, 09:03   #16
230ina245

I would decide what you want to do with the car before you start - may save you time and money later.
Do you want to restore it as it left the factory to be an investment - sounds like that may not be financially sound from where you are starting.
Do you want to turn it into a fun car that you can drive anywhere? You can improve brake, suspension and engine performance to keep ahead of "modern traffic".
Deciding things like this will determine whether you replace suspension bushes with rubber or poly and how you rebuild the engine if you have to. All the info to do these things and more is available on line in this site and others.
Whatever you do will cost money. If you intend to keep the car it will not be wasted.
Tim
230ina245 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 230ina245 For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 09:11   #17
Moomoo
VOC Member

The rust around the windscreen shown on one of the photos would bother me most, assuming most of the rest isn’t too bad.
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 10:38   #18
Kirtward

Thank you all, amazing support and advice, without telling me I’m an idiot
I am aware this will cost more than it’s worth to make it road worthy. But I’ve always liked 240 particularly the estate for years. This one is already not in a great place and I can’t make it much worse.
I’m sure others could do something with it or strip it for parts.
There are a lot of things I want to learn like welding but I need goal, I could just get a welder and some metal that wouldn’t motivate me.
As I have a boring desk job this was to get me out of the house and I was assume it will take me quite some time. I don’t want perfect, ideal is learning and having some fun if it was running at some point that would be awesome.
Hope that explains everything.

I think body work is the first point then.

Last edited by Kirtward; Dec 27th, 2022 at 10:45.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kirtward For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 10:44   #19
john.wigley
VOC Member since 1986

I think 'Kirtward' may already have a pretty good idea of what he has and would be taking on.

In his post in reply to mine (Nr 3 above), he said "Assume the worst in this instance, the car was cheap possible basket case. I want to learn a few bits and need an end goal. I’m sure I could buy a 240 for the amount it will cost. But for me it’s about the journey, hope that makes sense.". And in his reply to Bob, (Nr 5 above), he said "1988 245 GLT, B230E manual, but currently in the boot.
There are a few naturally occurring ventilation holes that will need to be repaired too.
I have a Haynes already and I’m assuming all rubber components will need to be replaced.
".

I do take Alan's point regarding comparison with the R.B., but all projects will differ to a lesser or greater extent and everyone has to start somewhere. I do not think that 'Kirkward' would go far wrong if he were to follow Alan's meticulous approach to the project, especially if he were to also chronicle his progress in a similar manner. That is what I meant by a model in which to tackle it and one in which I would encourage him.

Finally, 'Moomoo's point about corrosion is well made. Yes, that which you can see is important, but it was underbody rot that spelt the end for my 745 GLE. It was something that would have cost me c£500 to repair, where someone with the necessary skills, facilities and equipment could have done it for the cost of the materials alone - probably a lot less than £100.

Any Volvo that has reached it's 35th birthday is surely worth at least trying to save, especially a 245 GLT, arguably the most desirable of the two series cars. 'Kirkward' strikes me as a brave, enterprising sort of chap whose feet are firmly planted on the ground. We should encourage him!

I wish him well in his endeavours.

Regards, John.

Edit: Written before I read 'Kirtward's most recent post, above. J.

Last edited by john.wigley; Dec 27th, 2022 at 10:46.
john.wigley is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to john.wigley For This Useful Post:
Old Dec 27th, 2022, 10:52   #20
Kirtward

There are some concerning rust point the front scuttle is one. But I managed to get another one to try and help.
The boot but I have replacement panels and also the edges of the floor pan but I have seen they are available also.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg 9816E03F-B607-40B8-81B5-F506A1A12F5A.jpeg (281.6 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg A6877970-B0CC-46FF-AB1B-A8865AD1C89D.jpg (107.0 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpeg B96F06E3-1560-41C5-9ED3-9395A49D877F.jpeg (290.8 KB, 14 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to Kirtward For This Useful Post: