Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > Diesel Engines
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

Diesel Engines A forum dedicated to diesel engines fitted to Volvo cars. See the first post in this forum for a list of the diesel engines.

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

Wrong fuel

Views : 5205

Replies : 15

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Jan 10th, 2009, 10:32   #11
After-it

Thanks again for the info.

We have had it drained (as much as we could) refilled with diesel and drained again 3 times, then filled fully & have ran the tank to nealy empty, towards the end of the tank, car was a little harder to start when hot, have also noticed the engine seam's a little noisier, do you know if it would be the injector seals?.
After-it is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11th, 2009, 21:03   #12
DieselDoNicely
Premier Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by After-it View Post
Thanks again for the info.

We have had it drained (as much as we could) refilled with diesel and drained again 3 times, then filled fully & have ran the tank to nealy empty, towards the end of the tank, car was a little harder to start when hot, have also noticed the engine seam's a little noisier, do you know if it would be the injector seals?.
Run the car and forget about it, you could be looking for faults that arent there, she will croak soon enough if there is a fault.
2005 V70 SE D5 Geartronic 205,000 miles 55
2011 V70 Lux D3 Geartronic 220,000 miles
DieselDoNicely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 03:33   #13
Craigtange

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clan View Post
Very tricky especialy as you have to remove the middle row of seats to get access to the two tank units .
another way , but less troublesome is to remove the fuel filter at the back and get a big tray under it , turn the ignition on and the pump will run for about 12 seconds and pump fuel out , best do this outdoors .. you will have to sit there turning the ignition on and off every 12 seconds keep emptying the tray into 25 litre containers wrong fuel drain, this could take 2 hours with a full tank when you get to about 25% level the flow will stop , the right hand part of the tank will be empty and the left full so screw the filter back on and carry on with the pump process for another 20 mins , this will move the fuel from left to right and take the filter off again and carry on , this should drain it to empty .. add as much diesel as you can with a new filter , you wont have any problem with the front end of the car it will run fine ..

I'd be wary of anyone inexperienced taking the seats out and the two senders , you could end up with gauge problems or fuel pick up problems ... and those seats weigh a huge amount probably 30 kg each and getting them out they could damage the trim .
I have just purchased a CLA 220 Diesel with pretty much every option apart from the panoramic roof. I work most days so i only drive it occasionally, but when i do it is such a treat. Last night on my way home from a meal out with my wife i stupidly put petrol in it. £50 pounds worth to be exact so around 43 litres or so. I then proceeded to drive it home and it wasn't until i pulled up on the drive that i noticed it judder slightly, i immediately knew what i had done! So after feeling like an idiot all evening, i'm now trying to find a solution. I've looked online and it says that if i take it to Mercedes they will charge me an arm and a leg, and if they find out about it i can loose my warranty? Is this correct? Is there a way that i can drain it myself so that Mercedes will never find out about it when it next goes in to them?
Craigtange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 19:21   #14
5cilinder
Premier Member

How many miles driven?
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 28th, 2024, 22:04   #15
GrahamBrown1
VOC Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craigtange View Post
I have just purchased a CLA 220 Diesel with pretty much every option apart from the panoramic roof. I work most days so i only drive it occasionally, but when i do it is such a treat. Last night on my way home from a meal out with my wife i stupidly put petrol in it. £50 pounds worth to be exact so around 43 litres or so. I then proceeded to drive it home and it wasn't until i pulled up on the drive that i noticed it judder slightly, i immediately knew what i had done! So after feeling like an idiot all evening, i'm now trying to find a solution. I've looked online and it says that if i take it to Mercedes they will charge me an arm and a leg, and if they find out about it i can loose my warranty? Is this correct? Is there a way that i can drain it myself so that Mercedes will never find out about it when it next goes in to them?

I’m not familiar with Mercedes but this should still work albeit very slowly, like most modern cars it will have an electric in tank pump. You could find the fuel filter, disconnect the supply and turn the ignition on. As the system primes it will pump out the tank. You will have to repeat this process many times to drain the entire tank. Then connect up fill with diesel, let it prime and hopefully it will start. The fact you felt it judder could indicate damage but hopefully it will be alright.

Edit— I’ve just noticed this is basically what clan has already described.

Current- 05 XC90 D5 Exec, 12 XC70 D4 AWD Se Lux, 14 S80 D3 Se Lux

Last edited by GrahamBrown1; Feb 28th, 2024 at 22:09.
GrahamBrown1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 29th, 2024, 01:58   #16
5cilinder
Premier Member

the judder could be the pre ignition from the gasoline itself not damage per se

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eTbCZV0Uduc
5cilinder is offline   Reply With Quote