Volvo Community Forum. The Forums of the Volvo Owners Club

Forum Rules Volvo Owners Club About VOC Volvo Gallery Links Volvo History Volvo Press
Go Back   Volvo Owners Club Forum > "Technical Topics" > C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General
Register Members Cars Help Calendar Extra Stuff

Notices

C30 / S40 & V50 '04-'12 / C70 '06-'13 General Forum for the P1-platform C30 / S40 / V50 / C70 models

Information
  • VOC Members: There is no login facility using your VOC membership number or the details from page 3 of the club magazine. You need to register in the normal way
  • AOL Customers: Make sure you check the 'Remember me' check box otherwise the AOL system may log you out during the session. This is a known issue with AOL.
  • AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net users. Forum owners such as us are finding that AOL, Yahoo and Plus.net are blocking a lot of email generated from forums. This may mean your registration activation and other emails will not get to you, or they may appear in your spam mailbox

Thread Informations

GPS - No satellites found!

Views : 2540

Replies : 9

Users Viewing This Thread :  

Old Feb 11th, 2014, 17:10   #1
Wiseacre

Default GPS - No satellites found!

Hi,

first off, great forum, I've picked up a lot of useful info from here since getting an 06 S40 2.0 a few months ago - my first volvo. thanks everyone!

So, it has the built in satnav and I've managed to acquire the discs, but it's saying no satellites are detected and plants me somewhere in Italy. The arrow turns as I change direction, but that's all. I can move across the map, turn off layers, etc, so the data is being accessed from the disc fine.

I have taken out the connectors to both the aerial and the gps unit in the boot, cleaned and reconnected them, to no avail. Is the GPS unit the most likely culprit? If so that's a bummer as I'd rather buy a standalone satnav with free updates for life than fork out more for a replacement unit, but it seems a shame to not use the built in unit as it's quite a nice feature!

Should I just try to source a replacement from a scrappie?

Thanks in advance!
Wiseacre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 11th, 2014, 21:44   #2
Unreal master tech

Hi mate I would check the connector behind the NSF footwell carpet almost beside the heater box(beside pollen filter) just in case these have been disturbed as its not in common for these to be knocked when replacing cabin filter or other work,has been done in the area other than this it would look like a receiver fault which could be expensive but you might find one on eBay etc for cheap money but really with out a proper diag we are guessing maybe someone on the forum might be local to you with a vida who could check it out before you buy that Tom Tom!
Unreal master tech is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Unreal master tech For This Useful Post:
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 11:06   #3
FreakensNL

@TS; Have you fixed it yet??
I'm having same issue.. position was some where in Zwitserland when I bought the car, arrow just turrend but no movement..
I cleaned boot connectors end tried back-enter-back diagnose
set positie manually to Holland and now it works but still no GPS...

"GPS 0"

Date and time are off (1999), have read somewhere that a update should be necessary but In my tom tom from 2000 still works with 0 updates so not keen on spending more money at the Volvo stealer

My car is 2004 V50
FreakensNL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:37   #4
Wiseacre

No had a chance to have a look as I've moved house and been a bot busy with other things, but I'm going to give it a go soon. I'll keep you updated.
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 12:45   #5
Wiseacre

just for reference

GPS module is part number 30752377

install info available from here: http://accessories.volvocars.com/Acc...ear=S40%202006
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 13:20   #6
Wiseacre

Also, as all it is is a GPS transponder that feeds location info to the disc unit are there alternatives available to the original part? GPS location tools are cheap as chips.

Or is it more complicated than that?
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 21:28   #7
FreakensNL

If there is no gps, is the issue the antenna in the shark fin or the module in the boot (behind the left carpet?)
How do I check where the problem is?!..
I did the "back-enter-back" diagnose but there was nothing too see, except allot of zero's in the gps..

Do you also have the date 31(?)-12(?)-1999 ?? Cannot set this anywhere...

I gave all connectors a clean and spray..
Old Feb 19th, 2014, 22:09   #8
FreakensNL

If It is the gps antenna;
Found something on eBay..
I had the plug in My hand today and internally its the same, just not sure on the plug...
will look in to this tomorrow
http://www.ebay.com/itm/2008-2013-Vo...546332&vxp=mtr

Just not sure what the issue is... can a antenna really go bust?! corroded connectors.. sure but a broken gps antenna?! :S

Last edited by FreakensNL; Feb 19th, 2014 at 22:12.
Old Jul 1st, 2014, 17:06   #9
tomhosie
VolvoConvert

Has anyone ever figured out the problem for this as I have the same issue with my V50, thinks it's in Belgium! The local dealer said there was a fault code indicating that there was an intermittent antenna fault but it isn't intermittent it's permanent! Have taken the antenna out of the sharkfin and it was a little condensated so thinking a new one might fix. Any clues before I spend the cost of a TomTom on the antenna?!
Old Jan 10th, 2015, 14:57   #10
Morries

Hi There,

My V70 2014 is now 2 days in my possession and it also thinks its somewhere near the Netherlands. I've booked it into Volvo Derby this week to look at it.... Fingers cross it's a simple issue, otherwise the car is going back.

Regards

Morries
Morries is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gps, satnav